EBIOS read error <--- Usually shows up on startup

7 posts in this topic

I'm perfecting my 2nd Hackintosh; the Mattintosh 2 (see signature for specs).

I have a few nagging issues that I can't seem to fix, and I figure it's best to start with the first ones that pop up, and maybe when they get fixed, some or all of the others down the line will get fixed too.  Here's what I'm seeing on startup, immediately following the ASRock boot screen:

EBIOS read error: Error 0x31
  Block 0x0 Sectors 0
  Block 0x0 Sectors 0
  Block 0x0 Sectors 0
  Block 0x0 Sectors 0

Here's what spits out when I run lspci from the Terminal:

pcilib: 0000:03:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
pcilib: 0000:03:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
pcilib: 0000:00:02.0 64-bit device address ignored.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57781 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
04:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
05:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller

At this point I don't know which hardware component is causing those EBIOS read errors, or even if it's a hardware thing to begin with.  The few threads I've dug up online have pointed to card readers, but I don't have a card reader.

I will happily list further details if requested.   :)

It's usually a corrupted hard drive, and not necessarily the system hard drive. If you get this during installation, then check your installation DVD or USB flash drive.

…I don't have a card reader.

Wow, I'm surprised at myself; I DO have a card reader.  It's built into the left-side of my Dell U3011 display, and I never used it.  I suppose it was causing problems because it was detected along with the rest of the USB hub in the monitor.  I will have to look into this more specifically when I have time.  In the mean time I have unplugged my monitor's USB cable and am routing my mouse and keyboard directly to the ports on the back of the computer.

EDIT:  I should mention that I have indeed isolated the cause of this problem to the USB hub on the monitor.

Go to the bios and Disable Card Reader and other pheripherical without any system.

I should poke around the BIOS and try to find that… but… suppose I want to make it work, now that I rediscovered this wonderful feature that I never use?   :rolleyes:  Here's what I see in Apple System Profiler:

Ultra Fast Media Reader:
  Product ID:	0x4064
  Vendor ID:	0x0424  (SMSC)
  Version:	 1.90
  Serial Number:	000000264001
  Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Generic
  Location ID:	0x1d131100 / 8
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	96 

I see this post here from nikkpap has a method for editing a couple of Apple kext files.  Are there any other (better) solutions out there?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I should poke around the BIOS and try to find that… but… suppose I want to make it work, now that I rediscovered this wonderful feature that I never use?   :rolleyes:  Here's what I see in Apple System Profiler:

Ultra Fast Media Reader:
  Product ID:	0x4064
  Vendor ID:	0x0424  (SMSC)
  Version:	 1.90
  Serial Number:	000000264001
  Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Generic
  Location ID:	0x1d131100 / 8
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	96 

I see this post here from nikkpap has a method for editing a couple of Apple kext files.  Are there any other (better) solutions out there?

Hi :) I you only have legacy BIOS or just boot from one partition, you can add this to your org.chameleon.boot.plist, this solved the issue with booting while my USB printer was turned on (it has a card reader) :

<key>Scan Single Drive</key>

<string>Yes</string>

This may not be ideal for regular dual booters (I have no need so have no real experience sorry, maybe someone else can weigh in?). If I need to boot from an installer or other drive I use the BIOS special boot menu, in my case F12 on startup. Hope this helps, as it is irksome even though the hack will boot eventually if left alone.