hardware compatiblity

12 posts in this topic

I want to install Mac Mountain Lion. I have i5-2310, dh61ww motherboard and dlink ethernet card.....currently i am using integrated hd2000 graphics but i have an old nvidia 7200 gs in working condition. I intend to use my analog vga monitor as i dnt have hdmi.

Can my configuration runs mountain lion using the installation method described here? If any additional configuration needed please do tell me. Thanks.

The HD2000 will not work. The 7200gs wont work in 64 bit mode. Try get a cheap GT210 or you can do a little own research if you want a better GPU that is supported. What dlink card is it?

The HD2000 will not work. The 7200gs wont work in 64 bit mode. Try get a cheap GT210 or you can do a little own research if you want a better GPU that is supported. What dlink card is it?

I do not run any games or 3d applications. This is a development system where i run php, java ee and associated frameworks, application servers using intellij idea. Oracle is also installed as well. Occassionaly i watch movies. So I do not wish to invest in any high end graphics card. If hd2000 or 7200gs will not work please suggest me the cheapest alternative from both nvidia and amd radeon.

I am using debian right now and i want to migrate into mac osx without investing officially supported hardware. My system spec is given below, have a look at it and do suggest if investing in mountain lion will be worth it or not.

Thanks in advance.

• i5 2310
  • dh61ww main board
  • samsung 19 inch monitor (only 1 vga port, no hdmi)
  • 2x4gb 1333mhz ram
  • 250gb wd blue for system and 500gb wd green for storage
  • d-link dfe-520tx ethernet
  • ps/2 keyboard
  • usb mouse

I think it is worth installing if you can buy a cheap GT210 on ebay or something. You can get resolution but your graphics won't be smooth with the HD2000. I really don't have any idea if you need fast graphics for a development system. But with the HD2000 you wont be able to play a video in 720P, so you have a little idea. Your audio will work, the ethernet on the MB will work but the D-Link won't.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Actually I will not run Xcode. I am going to stick with php, java ee and oracle. For these applications graphics card is not needed. However I am ready to purchase lowest recommended graphics card to get video acceleration that is required to run mountain lion and hd movies properly. So, is the above mentioned graphics card i.e geforce 210 is sufficient or should i buy more powerful graphics card. If I required to purchase more powerful one then which one shall I purchase?

I have finalized everything, just waiting for to make decision about the graphics card.

For hd movies the 210 and the 5450 will be good. I don't think you really need a very powerfull GPU if the software you are going to use doesn't require a GPU. But if you want a more powerfull one, the GTX650 is a very good card. It depends on how much money you want to put in into the GPU.

• Like 1