MacOS X vs Linux

64 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Linux is great, but desktop Linux is its weakest spot. And it's definitely no contest against the best (and since Mountain Lion, it's again getting better every iteration) desktop OS ever made. Hats off (no "red" pun intended) to what Linux achieved against all odds in that short a time, but saying it's a better desktop OS than OS X is not just "an opinion": it's plain ideological (a.k.a. "fanboi") nonsense.

P.S.: yes, in this case with an "i".

P.P.S.: Read this: http://mikemcquaid.com/2010/09/21/why-i-left-linux/

And this: http://batsov.com/articles/2011/06/11/linux-desktop-experience-killing-linux-on-the-desktop/

And this: http://batsov.com/articles/2012/09/09/from-linux-to-osx-1-year-later/

And finally this: http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2013/Mar-05.html

What you often hear from people (and I don't mean Joe User) who have moved to OS X is that its desktop is absolutely great.

Who could deny that?

KDE 4xx, Gnome 3, Unity, which kind of {censored} is that? One day arrogant Linux developers lost their mind and decided that decent, perfectly usable desktop environments like KDE 3.5 or Gnome 2 were no longer good. I don't mean that there shouldn't be any innovation, but not wild experimentation for the sake of it, even when so many of your users are screaming that you are going down the wrong path.

Fortunately some devs were sane enough to realize that something needed to be done and began to create decent DEs again, like Mate or Cinammon.

KDE 4 is a lost cause. The best which can be done is to customize it so that it looks and behaves more like old KDE 3.5. This has been done mainly by the Mandriva family of derivatives.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly this is why i like all the OS out there

if you really want to be a good developer use Linux you will learn more coz Linux is such a pain in the neck :) there are

times when your Linux system goes down and there is no one to help you and you

are desperate you need to fix that problem soon. This is how i came to know what really is a computer before Linux i thought

computers were just a boom box :D

some years back i only came to know about bootloaders using Linux coz i was trying to duel boot with windows

Windows is for gamers as a hard core yes i am a hard core gamer :D and people who wants there career as a game developer and make there living

Mac os x is for people who wants a computer which is very easy, hassel free to use

Sorry for my bad English :(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What you often hear from people (and I don't mean Joe User) who have moved to OS X is that its desktop is absolutely great.

Who could deny that?

KDE 4xx, Gnome 3, Unity, which kind of {censored} is that? One day arrogant Linux developers lost their mind and decided that decent, perfectly usable desktop environments like KDE 3.5 or Gnome 2 were no longer good. I don't mean that there shouldn't be any innovation, but not wild experimentation for the sake of it, even when so many of your users are screaming that you are going down the wrong path.

Fortunately some devs were sane enough to realize that something needed to be done and began to create decent DEs again, like Mate or Cinammon.

KDE 4 is a lost cause. The best which can be done is to customize it so that it looks and behaves more like old KDE 3.5. This has been done mainly by the Mandriva family of derivatives.

Yes the desktop is absolutely great, however I fear it will soon be "was great",--since Apples idea of "innovation" is bastardizing the OS X desktop into an inbred hybrid mobile/tablet iOS pseudo-desktop which will be forced onto us. It's all downhill from here, brother.

Seems like no matter where you look, windows, mac, linux, developers are so .....desperate? ...to "innovate" something new they're flushing the traditional desktop down the toilet, and coming up with these "wild experiments for the sake of it" just like you say. 

Yes the mobile scene is great, but so is the desktop scene. The obsession with merging the two is where things turn into {censored}, they are different platforms and need to be treated as such.

Yes the desktop is absolutely great, however I fear it will soon be "was great",--since Apples idea of "innovation" is bastardizing the OS X desktop into an inbred hybrid mobile/tablet iOS pseudo-desktop which will be forced onto us. It's all downhill from here, brother.

I don't see that at all. Maybe you're thinking of Windows?

KDE 4xx, Gnome 3, Unity, which kind of {censored} is that?

since the time I have trouble getting used to this trio  :no:

Windows is for gamers as a hard core

developers don't want anymore building games for OS X. Why?

the only culprit is boot camp

I use Windows only for that. When we'll see more hard core games on OS X, I'll say goodbye for good to Windows  :yes:

but this only concerns me  ^_^
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Yeah ,

I'm totally agree with you

Osx is the best ...

Maybe not in Hardware Support like Linux distros hahahaha  :jester:

But when it is made to work well, you don't feel like booting any other OS 

With Linux I always felt the need to change and I never felt so at home and so amazed by the performance of my computers like I have been feeling lately thanks to Apple and Mac OS X. In El Capitan you can't even tell your Hackintosh is on because it's so cold, my laptop runs at 30ºC normally. In Linux, you can't even plug in HDMI in my laptop, no matter what. But thanks to some nifty OSx86 hackers, and me learning a lot, my OSX install works better than any Linux distro I might have installed and I've never been as happy as I am using Mac OS X and enjoying the broad software offers, that help me a lot in my job actually! :D

OSX took the good part of Linux and made it better. For me theres nothing that comes close to the beauty, safety and performance of MacOSX and i say this being a power linux user for many years

That would be BSD (Berkeley System Derivative) FreeBSD in particular as the base for OSX if you boot verbosely you will see the © Regents of the University of California at Berkeley when it first boots. That said I would agree OSX is *nix on the desktop done extremely well though I am not a fan of the last two cartoon releases, if I wanted to use my cell phone for a computer I would. I used linux for ten years before I switched over in 2008 but even on a hackintosh OSX is still light years ahead of where linux will ever get with all the lets chase the new shinny every other day it seems with them changes just for the sake of messing everything up as far as I can tell. Anyway that is my 2 cents on the matter.

• Like 1