Apple finally announces all-new Mac Pro

Ed

144 posts in this topic

P.S.: and your want-to-be Monty-pythonesque analogy carries a logical fallacy in itself - most if not all new tech is built upon "dead" older solutions. It's not the case for PCI-e and TB, since PCI-e is alive and thriving (as an internal expansion solution). But if PCI-e slots someday come out of favor, replaced by future TB solutions, there will be all legitimacy in the claim "PCI-e is dead!", and only on a strictly theoretical sense one could retort "oh, but it lives through Thunderbolt", the same way you can say that legacy PCI - which is cold dead - lives through PCI-e (and will "live through TB", if it's the case).

So I didn't even know external PCIe expansion options (other than TB) were available until I just Googled it. Do people actually use this? - and by people, I mean people not companies. I guess I could kinda see the idea behind something like this, but for a standard, or even a high end user - really? Is there any mainstream application of external PCIe - other than Thunderbolt? I don't see this as something that is dying, I see this as something that applies to such a small niche of people that it isn't even relevant to this topic really. Do you use this type of solution? Do you know anyone who does? And if they do - are they using it on a Mac? Wanna talk about a straw man - this 'dying option' you present was a twig that some kid snapped in two and declared DOA a while ago.

With regard to the 'other moribund tech' that I cited - are you referring to the eSATA? If that is indeed what you are referring to, then yes, I meant it as an addition to other external expansion options that are dying or have died - as an addition to your list. The only thing curious about that is why you take issue with me adding something to you list? If that's not what your talking about, then I have no clue since you didn't state it other than the cryptic 'moribund tech' reference.

And the only thing that lives thru PCIe with regards to PCI, is the name. Two totally different architectures. And since TB is dependent upon PCIe, even if internal PCIe options were to go away in favor of pure TB only options (please sweet baby Jesus never), then it would be valid to say that PCIe is not dead, nor would it become dead, simply, because of TB. So I'm all in favor of TB for the simple point is that TB is TOTALLY dependent upon PCIe - and as long as that connection is there, then PCIe wont die, and (please almighty Allah) other companies who aren't as image driven as Apple with continue to keep those internal PCIe options available to us.

The one thing I find curious is you trying to put ANY kind of logic to Monty Python - I used it as a humorous reference, as they did, because the whole debate in that sketch ISNT logical. Ya missed the joke son.

For further examples of Monty Python in reference to things that make no sense at all (see my previous post) then look here.

• Like 1

Hi again! :)

About the first half of your elaborated answer, the only and only thing that i (sic) took issue was with you taking my phrase out of context, because it rather hinders than grants knowledge. All here, each in his/her own extent, are learning. All said, i sorta agree with some of your points, but then again, that has nothing to do with the fact the new MacPro is more expandable (but externally as opposed to internally) than the old MacPro and yet people whines about how Apple killed expandability. And this is not simply a straw man, it's plain FUD.

About the second half of your post, starting with the the ending to save time, i didn't miss the joke: you missed that the joke didn't make sense, because the analogy, the link between the joke (not the joke itself, man!) and what you intended to satirize with it was misconstructed. On with the subject: only because you choose architecture to insist on your "live though it" argument, that doesn't mean at all, per se, it's the right criterium. Evaluations are arbitrary by nature, as opposite to logical or mathematical truths. I, myself, could as well choose implementation over architecture as the appropriate criterium and claim with the same legitimacy that PCI lives through PCI-e. But i prefer to focus on the logical truth part of the relationship between all them and say they're share common technology, which doesn't prevent them to be all unique. And - personal belief here - Thunderbolt is the future, D! It's the evolution of the PCI/PCI-e bus and should achieve bus-level speed as soon as it turns optical, i'd guess by 2014-15. Apple is stepping up before all the competition, as usual, and i cannot anything but praise it.

All the best!

P.S.: for instance, take a look at the competition Apple will directly face: http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/reviews/workstations/dell-precision-t7600/

It packs more horsepower than the new MacPro, as you can see (for a higher price tag, though: the values are in pounds, not dollars). It offers also more options of internal expandability, yet is not as nearly as expandable as the new MacPro when all external ports are also taken to the mix. And it's huge, heavy, doesn't run OSX legally - and the better part of high-end content creation software needs OSX, besides a Mac being capable of natively running Windows and all its software - and don't have the same level of corporate support quality Apple can offer - because Apple needs legally to support hardware and software and, when you're seriously on the business, you won't choose a small IT business to support you (and the idea of a media businessman servicing him/herself his/her workstations is simply laughable) or maintain an expensive IT department: you choose the best support you can get from the manufacturers, who you can even sue for a large sum of money if they don't provide the contracted services accordingly.

Wake up, people: this upcoming machine, if delivers what it promises, has no serious contender in its niche.

Thunderbolt is not the future. One example of this is due to the fact that Intel has basically a iron fist around controlling what devices are TB approved. TB will be like firewire as in it is fast, flexible and provides a great platform with a lot of bandwidth. But USB controllers were cheaper and Firewire was never excepted by the main computer design community. TB will have the same fate and the cost of the TB controller being over $20 were as USB controller is $0.30 for 2.0 and $1.50-3 for 3.0. Its all about cost. Question 1: What does it cost as if it costs a penny more then what we are spending now were will never do it. This is a Engineering Economics fact. TB will never be excepted as it just costs to much. It will only ever be a small non-relivent market that 99% of 3rd party device companies will never get into. No money to be made in it. PCIe is cheaper as well. 

theconnactic, you need to except the fact that TB is just a phase. 4 years after its release its still not main stream. Nothing can make this change. And if you are a business looking at a technology that is 4 years old it is non-relivent and not even a option for you. Look at the production and profitability for a TB product. Every device you would sell you would lose money as it costs more to make then the USB or PCI or PCIe counter part. Take a Engineering Economics class and you will realize this. I have a engineering degree and the question I laid out is the first thing I have to ask after a presentation. It could be the best thing ever made but if it costs more then what I am doing not as far as we (engineers) it does not exist. 

• Like 1

Rampage, but the long successful strategy of Apple wasn't precisely expensive and iron-fist closed products? We have to admit it works, at least on a certain degree, and surely the strategy is directly dependent of awesome products - and this they've been able to do, or aren't we all OSX enthusiasts here? - and great marketing.

All new technology is expensive, Rampage! Traditionally, the viability costs are absorbed by the early adopters, and then it becomes generally accessible. It was this way with the first cell phones, with the first personal computers, with the first automobiles, etc etc - the list is big. If the MacPro and the new Thunderbolt devices succeed, it will be great for all of us - so some of us can even bet against them, but at the same time root for them and hope they do well.

The MacPro might as well be a flop - like the cube, or A-UX OS - but i guess it will surprise me, given the specs and the target market.

Thank you for the insights, Rampage!

All the best!

• Like 1

TB is great and has some great advantages however the cost is to high and if something does not get main stream in 6 months or less it dies out. I think it will end up like the CUBE and have a short life. If it had done what USB has in cost going from $10 for 3.0 down to $1.50-3.00 in just 2 years then yes it would show signs of getting cheaper but TB has yet to see even one drop in price.

If I recall correctly a PCIe x16 lane (wired) cost $7. I have to look this up. 

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from looking like a stealth enabled lift lobby dust bin, I wonder what specs Apple will offer on the Configure To Order side...

CPU, GPU versions (all AMD) RAM, SSD size. Thats about it. Base will have low end pro cards. Watch WWDC as they talk about this. 

• 2 months later...

I prefer it black anyway...

By the way: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/25/graphics-cards-in-new-mac-pro-may-be-user-replaceable/

"It may be technically possible for buyers of the new Mac Pro to replace their graphics cards, according to a report from the French site Mac4Ever. [Google Translate]

The site claims the GPU on the Mac Pro is placed on an independent daughter card with a proprietary connection, which would make sense as it would make warranty-repairs of broken GPUs significantly easier. There is no indication if or when third-party graphics cards could be released for the new Mac Pro, but the new device is scheduled for releasein December of this year."

And also this: http://www.tested.com/tech/457440-theoretical-vs-actual-bandwidth-pci-express-and-thunderbolt/

"We are in the future! It is time to continue our scintillating look at interfaces, and the bandwidth limitations thereof. This week, we cast our gazes on PCI Express and Thunderbolt. First, PCI Express: what exactly does it mean when you have a PCIe 2.0 x8 connection? And does it make a difference whether your connection is x8 or x16?"

• 5 weeks later...

People who do such things are criminals, IMO. How many people live on less than 1 USD a day? Think how many of them you could help with almost one million dollars.

It's far more expandable than most PCs (and hacks, for that matter). It's just that it relies on external expansion, instead of internal: that could be either an upside or a downside, depending on one's necessities. 

That said, the entry level could be cheaper, but those FirePros and Xeons are quite pricey.

All the best!

I don't see why anyone would pay $3000 or whatever it was for a trash can that is no where as expandable as a normal PC... or hackintosh :P

Because different people have different needs, priorities and preferences.

You prefer to build and maintain your own computers? Great, me too! But don't expect everyone to dedicate days to find out what to buy, assemble it, test it, install OSX, troubleshoot for problems, run updates, and so on. And "internal expandability" may not be very important for a large chunk of MacPro users, else Apple wouldn't go that route.

• Like 1

It's far more expandable than most PCs (and hacks, for that matter). It's just that it relies on external expansion, instead of internal: that could be either an upside or a downside, depending on one's necessities. 

That said, the entry level could be cheaper, but those FirePros and Xeons are quite pricey.

All the best!

Stop... you know better... 

• Like 1

I can imagine the various add-ons to take advantage of the heat flowing out of the top; egg poachers, toast holders, frying pan and cook pot platforms, coffee warmers, hair drying, frozen food defrosters, etc.

One more for the collection: www.fastcodesign.com/1671658/how-a-trash-can-proves-the-competitive-advantage-of-design#6

And, how about a cooling indicator, a ball floating above the air column that rises and falls with the velocity of the air flow.

• Like 3