Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frank Nitty

Is there patch for native resolution on GTX 6XX GPUs?

14 posts in this topic

I have successfully been able to boot into 10.7.4 with my 660/680 GPUs, surpassing many KPs by finding solutions online but the resolution is in VGA mode which is depressing (lol, not really). From what I know, Apple doesn't plan on supporting older OSs with the newer hardware, so I am asking the help from the hackintosh community to lead me to a patch that would allow me to utilize the native resolution of the GTX 6XX in Lion. Any useful help is appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement

Surely you mean the native res of your monitor. Your video card has no native resolution..

Setting GraphicsMode=1280x1024 (or whatever it is) in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist should work.

I guess if your solution involves deleting all the nvidia (NV* and Geforce*) driver files, then there's probably nothing you can do. Not sure if NVDAResman.kext or any other NV/GF kext is needed for this.

You should really be running ML with that hardware, both your 680 and your 660 are natively supported as of 10.8.3, you don't even need GraphicsEnabler or anything else, it just works. I'm in Hackintosh heaven here.

@ Gringo Vermelho: Thanks for the feedback. I actually read up on this method up elsewhere and was able to change the resolution with the Graphics Mode bootflag by adding it to my Boot.plist. Yeah, I had to delete all the graphics kext in SL because it would cause "DSMOS has arrived" KP. I actually have a triple boot: 10.6.8, 10.7.4, and 10.8.3. I am aware that no Graphics Enabler is needed for 10.8.3, but I 'm not so sure about 10.7.4. Can you confirm that there are compatible drivers for 10.7. On another note, I still use SL because there are apps I use that are no longer supported on more current OS versions besides SL.

For 10.7.x you can try extracting the Nvidia drivers (use Pacifist) from MacBookProMid2012SoftwareUpd1.0.dmg. From a quick search it looks like the first ever OS X Kepler architecture drivers were included in that package. I don't know if anyone else have tried this, it might or might not work. You'd probably need at least OpenGL framework and other files from the update as well.

The easiest way would be to just run the update (this way you won't miss any important bits), but you'd probably have to change model identifier in smbios.plist (temporarily of course) so the installer thinks it's running on the MacBookPro it was meant to run on. That's what I'd try first.

I guess it would be prudent to experiment with this on a second installation of Lion. It might be worth it, then again it could be a complete waste of time...either way, please post your findings.

I used Pacifist to extract the NVIDIA kexts from the MacBookProMid2012SoftwareUpd1.0 pkg and copied the kexts to the S/L/E then repaired permissions. This is the Kernel Panic I get:

P1010038_zps5d29559c.jpg

I did back up the original kexts beforehand so I have no problem being able to restore my system back to normal. Any suggestions to what this might mean?

Man, this is not a panic! By the way, why people continues to mislabel the verbose lines where the boot process freezes as kernel panics? Luckily you posted a pic, otherwise you would get futile or harmful suggestions. Please try to get familiar with Unix/OSX terminology: will help you and help people help you.

This lines you got mean that your system successfully boots, but the GUI doesn't load. If you are using GraphicsEnabler=Yes, switch to GraphicsEnabler=No.

P.S.: another suggestion, perhaps not related to your current issue, but that will save you headaches in the future: if VT-D is enabled in the BIOS, disable -it.

@ theconnactic: GraphicsEnabler=No was already set in the Boot.plist. I have VT-D enabled in the BIOS because I use virtualization software, particularly Parallels. @ Gringo: I'll have to do that soon, that's Windows 8 for you.

@ theconnactic: I'm at work so I'll have to check that out when I get home... Just to elaborate on your last comment: "people continue to mislabel the verbose lines where the boot process freezes as kernel panics?" So you know, I'm a less than zealous Mac hobbyist who does enough to prevent errors or system hang-ups on my personal rig, no offense but the terminology I don’t care much about, just making a stable working system is my concern. I appreciate your assistance and suggestions but for the most part I can usually figure this stuff out myself by using search queries or trial and error. And if I'm stuck at a standstill then I resort to asking help from the community. Believe, I’m far from a noob, but I don’t make a living on building hacks as to obligate me to have to care about knowing the difference between a KP and verbose line boot process freezes. I’m just saying…

Believe, I’m far from a noob, but I don’t make a living on building hacks as to obligate me to have to care about knowing the difference between a KP and verbose line boot process freezes.

So you cannot complain if other people think you are a beginner and give you wrong advices, to make things worse. Knowing the terminology will make easier to read and understand guides and tutorials out there so you can figure out things by yourself with more ease. It's a win-win. And, as long as you asking help to others, it's the minimum that's expected from you. No offense: take it as a good advice.

So you can complain other people think you are a beginner and give you wrong advices, to make things worse. Knowing the terminology will make easier to read and understand guides and tutorials out there so you can figure out things by yourself with more ease. It's a win-win. And, as long as you asking help to others, it's the minimum that's expected from you. No offense: take it as a good advice.

Well to better clarify myself, I know my terminology but it may not be technically as sound as how u put things. I definitely can pick up on what I need to know for how to troubleshoot problems and also to relay my message so others can understand me. And if worse comes to worse or in an event I find it difficult to explain myself, I post pics to illustrate.

When I changed to GraphicsEnabler=Yes and I received this KP:

P1010040_zpsf3182943.jpg

I was able to effectively remove this error by going to my installation drive and remove ACPI_SMC_Platform plugin found in System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/ Show Package Contents/Contents/Plugins, and then repair permissions. Once that was solved, I tried to boot in verbose mode again, but the verbose line boot process freezes again and it is stuck at: /drv/ Hyploctls.c:779 loctl VT-d status:0

so I attempted to change VT-d into VT-x in the BIOS. The only problem is that that is not an option in my BIOS.

vt_zps064d6d46.jpg

Any ideas how to set it as VT-x? Thanks

Try booting with dart=0....I'm not sure if that flag existed in 10.7.x though.

Why are you using both VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchpad and ApplePS2trackpad? That can't possibly work well..

Also the double errors on AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext are suspicious, what's up with that?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By technosinner
      Hi guys,

I need help with my Sapphire RX580 8GB. It works and I have it connected to a BenQ EW3270U (4k monitor through DP), but I noticed that the quality of my video is not exactly great; I just don't feel like it's up to spec with some fuzziness and everything just isn't as sharp as I expect it to be. It's hard to explain exactly what I see, but especially when there's transparency in windows for instance, I see what I would compare to colour compression artifacting in the gradients of the images showing through the transparency effects. It looks like a video with fading on Youtube but the compression makes it look like waves of pixels as opposed to a real gradient, if that makes any sense? It's impossible to film or photograph properly, and - the part that gets me - if I do a screenshot, it's not visible! I must have been super tired when I posted... it's visible on screen shots after all (see attached). It screams graphic acceleration issues to me but I really am at a loss on how to diagnose this issue further. It's not unusable or anything, but I want to get it to work properly and get as much as I can out of it all.

As a comparative I did plug in a Retina MBP to the monitor to make sure it wasn't the issue and as expected, I did not see any of this with the MBP.
      I have Lilu and WEG in my 10.14 kext folder, and my (shameful) config is attached, but I more than likely am missing something important...

All this explained, I want to point out a few things: this is an old machine (built 2012) and I had the same config throughout with exactly 0 issues. This is one reason why I not only never had to optimize it, but I now also pretty much fell off the Hackintosh bandwagon: I am not exactly well versed in all the technical backend of this community as I was until now lucky with a plug and play machine with no issues.

I will need a lot of help to get back up to date... that said I also had incomprehensible and undiagnosed issues getting the RX580 to work on this machine. Even if it was effortless for everyone else, I had to do a LOT of troubleshooting and in the end, I have no clue how I got it to work! So I'm mortified of changing anything on it without getting some advice first since everything, iCloud and iMessage included, works. I'll be happy to fill in any info and I'm hungry to learn. It's just a bit daunting to start over and my searches have discouraged me a but. I know beggars can't be choosers but I have a 60-hour a week job and I just need a bit of guidance if anyone wants to help me off my training wheels  I fully know I'm in a bad spot and quite frankly I'm ashamed of it. Help me make it better please.
      config.plist

• By Coddyx
      Hi,

I followed the AMD OSX Vanilla Guide and managed to successfully build my first hackingtosh.
      Everything works great EXCEPT for my MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GAMING X.
      I ran some benchmarks (and tried World of Warcraft) and I am getting ~50% of the performance I am usually getting in Windows 10.
      Unigine Heaven reports ~950 vs 1750 in Windows and World of Warcraft runs @ 30 fps lowest settings vs 60 fps ultra settings in Windows.

Here are the kexts I am using:
      AppleALC Lilu NullCPUPowerManagement RealtekRTL811 VirtualSMC WhateverGreen  
      I should mention that this is an AMD hackingtosh running on Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor.

I read and I completely understand that I should not expect 100% performance. But I believe a 50% drop is out of the ordinary.

If anyone has ideas on what I could try to up the performance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• By Pericles
      I've been trying to boot MacOS Mojave (10.14.4) after installation on a system I've built.

I was able to successfully install Mojave through my USB, it seemed like the installer recognised my gpu and was working with it in the installation screen as it looked like it was outputting video at 4k resolution. When the computer restarted I then booted into the "Preboot" option on clover twice (the first time I tried the progress bar got to a certain point and then the system restarted) and on the second attempt the progress bar filled up completelly and the mac installer counted down to a restart (which I took as meaning that it had successfully finished the installer). After restarting however I tried to boot into MacOS from the SSD I installed it on, the apple logo showed up with a progress bar that filled up completelly before the screen turned black, then grey with a cursor over the grey screen. Also, it's probably worth noting that the GPU's fans continue to spin from turning the system on, up to the point where the screen turns grey after which they stop spinning.

My system specs are as follows:
      CPU: i5 3470
      GPU: RX 570
      RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 
      MB: Asrock B75m r2
      SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
      WiFi/BT: Fenvi FV-T919 PCIE Card

I am thinking that it's probably a gpu related issue as everything about the installation process has gone pretty smoothly up to the point where it's displaying a grey screen at bootup (and not going further). I have attached a photo of the output from rebooting with the verbose bootflag (it's missing one line at the bottom "busy timeout[1], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'"), after the verbose output stays on the screen for a few minutes the screen then turns grey with the cursor and hangs there.

• By AppleVegas
      Hello! I was trying to install hackintosh a while ago and today I decided to install it today.
      I am able to boot it, I installed OS but have problems with iGPU. It has only 4mb vram.
      I did almost everything, I installed whatevergreen, used special clover config, but nothing. I've only got it to recognize my igpu.

I have a laptop with this specs:
      Laptop brand name: Lenovo G50-80
      iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 -- Only shows 4mb of vram
      CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U 2.20GHz
      dGPU: AMD Radeon R5 M230 or AMD Radeon HD 8500m (it has two brand names lol) -- will be really glad if you tell me how to launch it in High Sierra with my iGPU, now I can't even load OS when I have discrete GPU enabled
      RAM: 6GB ddr3
      Bluetooth: Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 -- On the way to enable it
      Wi-Fi: Qualcomm Atheros AR956x -- Managed to enable it

P.S: In the windows I can see that my iGPU has Dedicated Video Memory: 128MB

Any help? I think you are only my savers

• By grisno
      Hi people,

Installer to activate the sound card REALTEK ALC282-v2 (10ec:0282) with LayoutID 1 or 3 in MacOS. This installer does not contain AppleHDA patched Kext. To work properly, it must be installed over vanilla AppleHDA.kext.

I want to thank the whole community for their efforts and content provided, because without these it would not be possible to create this installer.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions!!

Speakers : OK Headphones : OK HDMI Audio : OK (Intel HD4K Tested) LineIn : N/A (Model Without LineIn) MicInt : OK MicIntNoiseReduction : OK MicExt : N/A (Model Without MicExt) AutoDetectLineIn : N/A (Model Without LineIn) Sleep : OK WakeUp : OK AutoSleep : OK Hibernate : OK Siri : OK   Tested Laptops:

- HP Pavillion 15-D002SS

Coming Soon:

- Unified installer for the different supported operating systems.
      - Support model with LineIn jack.

Modified Verbs:
      01271C20 01271D00 01271EA0 01271F90 01471C10 01471D00 01471E17 01471F90 01871CF0 01871D00 01871E00 01871F40 01E71CF0 01E71D00 01E71E00 01E71F40 02171C30 02171D10 02171E21 02171F00 01470C02   DSDT:

Patch to apply with MaciASL in your DSDT
      ######################################### HDEF v1.00######################################## into method label _DSM parent_label HDEF remove_entry;into device label HDEF insertbeginMethod (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n{\n If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n Return (Package()\n {\n "layout-id", Buffer() { 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 },\n //"layout-id", Buffer() { 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 },\n "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n "PinConfigurations", Buffer() { },\n })\n}\nend;