Strange system lock-up, how to troubleshoot?

jwmann

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have recently been getting a weird issue.

I have absolutely no idea what causes it; It seems to almost be random.

My system will completely lock-up.

No messages, or errors.

Literally everything stops and I can't do anything (mouse/display/keyboard, everything is suspended)

I checked to see the last thing before BOOT_TIME inside the console and nothing stood out.

How would you recommend I try and troubleshoot this?

I've been running this Hackintosh for about a year now and the last time I had something similar was due to old firmware on a Crucial M4 SSD, however I've made sure they're all up-to-date

Run diskwarrior... you have to have a another osx where you should run it though, and check that HD.

Please take note that the bootloader will get overwritten and you'l not be able to boot that HD. Be sure to have a startup CD or USB with chameleon so you can boot the HD and install chameleon again.

any overclock?

Nope, nothing but the standard that's in the BIOS.

Run diskwarrior... you have to have a another osx where you should run it though, and check that HD.

Please take note that the bootloader will get overwritten and you'l not be able to boot that HD. Be sure to have a startup CD or USB with chameleon so you can boot the HD and install chameleon again.

I think I have a bootable version of Diskwarrior; I'll try that.

Try using nullcpupowermanagement, I had this problem back in the SL days, and that fixed it. If lock-ups dissappear with nullcpupowermanagement, then you need proper cpu power management for your system.

Well, as for smbios.plist, this is mine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>10/14/11</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B24.1110141131</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-94245A3940C91C80</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,3</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02J7432DF8X</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

My DSDT has been patched by myself using DSDT Editor and its list of premade patches + Dual Link LVDS patch and HDEF patch for my codec