Need help OS X 10.8 on VMWare 9

amot

8 posts in this topic

Morning Guys,

I have VMware.Workstation.9.0.1 (i used unlock-all-v110 to get Apple OSX to show up on VMWare9) and i am trying to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Retail VMware Image on it but i keep running into...

"EFI VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive (IDE 1:0) ... unsuccessful"

How do I fix this? let me know if you need more info from me.

I am new to all this so none of it makes sense to me.... Blah, thanks for trying to help though. Wish someone can make it much easier to understand.

No silver platter, you need to invest a bit of your own time to learn.

Which bit is too difficult to understand:

One CDROM is IDE & the second one is SCSI Legacy emulation

Boot to EFI Shell, change to IDE CDROM, run boot -v npci=0x2000

VM will boot from IDE, but then mount SCSI CDROM & carry on with installation

• 3 months later...

The ISO image file contains a pre-built VM for vmWare - simply mount it in your host OS and drag-and-drop everything to where you want it.

In the example I am giving, I already have Windows x64 (it can be Vista, 7, or 8) and vmWare Workstation (8.x or 9.x) installed and unlocked (the ISO image also includes the vmWare Workstation unlocker - both 8.x and 9.x use the same unlocker script). In my case, I dragged and dropped the pre-built VM to C:/Users/User Name/My Documents/Virtual Machines. In vmWare, I selected File->Open->C:/Users/User Name/My Documents/Virtual Machines/OS X Mountain Lion/OS X Mountain Lion.vmx.

The *only* changes you should need to make before starting the VM are to the RAM and number of CPU cores. The RAM should be set to no more than half your physical RAM (2048k if you have 4 GB) - the number of CPU cores should match your CPU (2 for dual-core CPUs, 4 for quad-core, etc.; since I have a Q6600, I selected 4 - the same setting would apply to any i5 or i7). Once you have those settings in place, start your VM. The rest of the settings are the same as starting any real Mac or "Hack".

It works just fine - I am posting this from the VM (Windows 8 Pro host/OS X 10.8.3 guest).

• 1 month later...