OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Putting APFS.EFI in /EFI will not make it appear in F12 menu. And it is already in ROM.
Here's how to do it.

Step #1
Finding you High Sierra filesystem mapping.

Boot with F12 and go to UEFI shell
Issue this command

fs1:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

Does it boot to High Sierra ?, if so  go to Step #2, if not repeat Step #1 but this time replace fs1 by fs2, fs3 ... until you get to the one that will boot in High Sierra.

Step #2

Listing current boot entries

Once again go to UEFI Shell and issue this command

bcfg boot dump

This will output the boot list that you see when you press F12 at boot. It is a numbered list .. take note the highest number. 

Step #3

Adding the new boot entry

Now issue theses commands (replacing italic by values we found earlier)

fsn:
bcfg boot addp highest number +1 System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "Name that you want to appear in F12 Menu"

You should get a message saying that the boot entry was added

Restart the system by issuing this command

reset

and go to F12 menu ..it should be there. Select it and it should boot you into High Sierra 

The boot entry will persist until you do a nvram reset or flash a new ROM.

• Like 3

Oh, I thought that the APFS..efi in the Efi dir helped the motherboard identify the drives format...

At the moment I'm booting with the Installer USB (and it takes quite a while... but it works great) by selecting the startup disk and then restarting, but this isn't really how I want to do it forever....

I have also tried this [bcfg boot add 1 fsX:/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi "macOS 10.13.0"] but it doesn't find the file...

And last but not least, when it is setup properly, will I still see the debug statements from the kernel every time I boot? As this didn't happen when I had the previous ROM and Sierra

EDIT: replied before I saw you edited the post, Ill get back to you once I have read through and tested it :)

it is ADDP not ADD

and \ not /

And last but not least, when it is setup properly, will I still see the debug statements from the kernel every time I boot?

Yes you will because they are part of the APFS module as provided by Apple or someone finds a way to patch it. Me I like it.. it shows that the APFS driver is loaded

it is ADDP not ADD

and \ not /

Yay, that fixed it, I have now booted directly into High Sierra, and its feeling great!

Yes you will because they are part of the APFS module as provided by Apple or someone finds a way to patch it. Me I like it.. it shows that the APFS driver is loaded

I don't mind it, I just wanted to check if it was normal or not.

And by the way, is it safe to update from 10.13.0 to 10.13.2 without messing up two weeks of setting up High Sierra?? Via the App Store is what I mean....

So, I was impatient, and updated my system.... and turned out fine!  :drool:  

My machine is now booting correctly into HS using the XMAS ROM and running on a APFS drive, so I am entirely great full.

So a massive thank you to everyone who has helped me on rebuilding my Hackintosh  :yes:

So, I was impatient, and updated my system.... and turned out fine!  :drool:  

My machine is now booting correctly into HS using the XMAS ROM and running on a APFS drive, so I am entirely great full.

So a massive thank you to everyone who has helped me on rebuilding my Hackintosh  :yes:

Congrats. Any chance you would be willing to make a sort of master post that links the files needed and runs through the process, as sort of an (un)official HS update post for this board?

g\

• Like 2

Congrats. Any chance you would be willing to make a sort of master post that links the files needed and runs through the process, as sort of an (un)official HS update post for this board?

Thanks genzai, I'd love to!  :yes:

My QUO is working as an overpowered pfSense firewall and I want to convert it back to macOS.

Any recommendations for a decent video card? Nothing crazy. Just wondering if I should even bother replacing the GT 640 I already use.

Also, is iMessage still an issue? I have a serial, board id and board serial # but it's been a long time. Mavericks or so...

Thanks for keeping the flame going.

Never tried... Do you mean Night Shift or Display Brightness Control thru the keyboard ?

I mean the Display Brightness, although, Night Shift would be pretty cool (but most importantly Brightness control).

My QUO is working as an overpowered pfSense firewall and I want to convert it back to macOS.

Any recommendations for a decent video card? Nothing crazy. Just wondering if I should even bother replacing the GT 640 I already use.

Also, is iMessage still an issue? I have a serial, board id and board serial # but it's been a long time. Mavericks or so...

Thanks for keeping the flame going.

Hi bradl001, your graphics card should work fine, depending on what you want to use your machine for (video editing, normal work, gaming...), but unless you have heavy duty things planed, it's an ok card. If you decide to change, the GeForce GTX 1050 (2GB GDDR5) is a decent card for about 120$.

Personally, imessage and FaceTime works great in HS, although I was having problems with them in Sierra.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to overclock a GPU *natively* on MacOS (if it is at all possible...), I'm currently running a  NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512 MB B)I am getting around to upgrading it, but still saving up, so any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advanced.  :wink_anim:

Guy's there's a QUO-BOARD for sale on eBay from an insanelymac friend user, never used on OS X just windope!

Seems like a really good price, and such a shame he/she never used it as a hackintosh...

No idea on how tooverclockNvidia on MacOS. Maybe if you do it Win it will stick....

I have seen this, but I'd much rather do it natively, although, you have raised another question I had in the back of my mind...

Is it possible to run windows in boot camp on our quo boards?? 

Is it possible to run windows in boot camp on our quo boards??

I haven't tried it on a APFS drive ... Co-existing with HFS+ I think it would work. But why would you do it thru Boot Camp when you can run Windows natively ?

Win 10 runs beautifully for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that in reply to the boot camp, or the gnu overclocking??

Yep for boot camp, choose the right iMac that mach your hardware according to Apple's Mac, and install only the drivers that will not create problems after installation done!

@IronManJFF

The board ACPI was meticulously designed for Linux, OS X, macOS and windope, simulating Boot Camp will not affect Windope performance, you can take a look at the DSDT of your board, performance will be affected if ACPI aren't meticulously set, I was looking for any QUO for sale weeks ago, but unfortunately i bought this ProBook, no chance for me!

If you have two drives on your Hack, you can install it in the second, because when boot camp assistant will finish downloading it's required files, then it will ask you where you want to install it, at that stage you can choose the second drive

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I have an odd problem with my Quo AOS motherboard, namely my LAN port suddenly stopped working awhile back and I’ve been having to use a separate LAN card to establish internet connection. It also seems I can't to the App Store anymore secondary to not being recognized...

I’ve done multiple searches/readings of this forum and the web and can’t seem to find anything about it. Has anyone else had this issue or information about fixing it? I suspect it’s something simple that I’m just not finding or seeing.

Best and thanks for any help-Hopkins

Stopped working isn't clear enough to know what happened, try to describe

Ethernet on Network Interface in Preferences still there or not, enabled or disabled:

The LEDs of the Ethernet Port on your QUO board are enabled or disabled, is there any light:

You can do an ONYX.app to clean your OS, there are some Terminal command that you can do to know if it's just an fair problem, and you can also reboot your Reuter, you can try unplugging and plugging the Ethernet cable from both QUO and Reuter.

For better diagnostic, you need two different types of OS's, just to make sure that it isn't hardware problem IMHO!

If you have two OS's installed (i mean macOS-X and another OS), and it only happened with macOS-X, then try re-installing the same macOS-X version from clean install.

Now if you have that problem on the two OS's, try flashing the bios with the same version or the latest one.

it is really rare for an Ethernet Port or Card to become defective on an motherboard, especially if it is from an good manufacturer!

Edited by ammoune78

Stopped working isn't clear enough to know what happened, try to describe

Ethernet on Network Interface in Preferences still there or not, enabled or disabled:

The LEDs of the Ethernet Port on your QUO board are enabled or disabled, is there any light:

You can do an ONYX.app to clean your OS, there are some Terminal command that you can do to know if it's just an fair problem, and you can also reboot your Reuter, you can try unplugging and plugging the Ethernet cable from both QUO and Reuter.

For better diagnostic, you need two different types of OS's, just to make sure that it isn't hardware problem IMHO!

If you have two OS's installed (i mean macOS-X and another OS), and it only happened with macOS-X, then try re-installing the same macOS-X version from clean install.

Now if you have that problem on the two OS's, try flashing the bios with the same version or the latest one.

it is really rare for an Ethernet Port or Card to become defective on an motherboard, especially if it is from an good manufacturer!

Thanks for reply and kindness regarding my lack off knowledge.  My on board LAN disappeared and doesn't show up in either my system information list or under network in my preferences.  When I plug the ethernet cable into the Motherboard's LAN Port, its' indicator light is orange; when I plug the ethernet cable into the Card's LAN Port, its' light is green.

I have tried reflashing my BIOS and re-installing Yosemite multiple times but not using a different OS which sounds like great idea.

However what really lights up for me is your comment that it's rare for LAN Port or Cards to become defective...I've always run this board as a vanilla set with an i7-3770K and 32GB of RAM to run Pro Tools on.  I had been using both the board port and a LAN card at one point and wondering if I managed to totally trash my ozmosis defaults in the EFI directory?

Below I've pasted a copy of the entries are in my current Ozmosis default plist file in hopes that someone can look at it and tell me if it’s ok or missing any key entries?  Also, if it is messed up is there anyway to obtain a current vanilla copy of the Ozmosis defaults entries for the Z77MX-QUO-AOS motherboard that I can try before I try before installing windows?

Thanks for any  helps or thoughts - Hopkins

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Credits</key>
<string>Created with Champlist</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>