[Guide] ML Install Guide for Lenovo G580

alberto122509

65 posts in this topic

@Mjtill: no Lion will not work, unless you update to the latest version 10.7.5. Even then I recomment 10.8. (because we have Ivy bridge cpus and hd4000, i believe no support for them in Lion until 10.7.3, not sure). Try and buy ML it's only 20$ and much better than Lion! (Lion = Vista) Also are you using the USB 2.0 port??

Okay, I will try Mtn Lion then. However, I'm curious as to why you prefer Mtn Lion to Lion. I'm an IT administrator in a workplace that deals almost exclusively with macs so I have a ton of experience with every Mac OS from Tiger to Mtn Lion. In my opinion, Lion is much more stable and cooperative than Mtn Lion. However this could be the "IT" part of me speaking rather than the "personal use" part.

@vcrman thanks you very much for DSDT, i'll try to edit mine and will let you know the result :) i didn't mean to offend you but the app you linked was not a hackintos app, rather a normal mac app that bypass "Applications" that prevent computer to go to sleep. but here you see we dont have problem with our laptop going to sleep. it is already going to sleep fine. problem is Wake Up. I'm sorry if my words hurt you.

Update:

Voilaa, Hurray :D Sleep problem solved with DSDT edit. @vcrman

Sleep working smoothly now. in DSDT i added DTGP method at end and added DSM method to two device EHC :) my dsdt is attached. i'm using DSDTSE for editiing dsdt.

My sound working with VodooHDA so haven't applied HDEF yet, will try that later and let you know.

Nope, I'm still getting the exact same "still waiting for roort device" error as with the Lion installer. And yes I am absolutely sure that I am using the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3

try another thing, go to bios and set SATA to legacy mode.

UPDATE2:

I got my USB 3.0 ports to accept USB 2.0 devices by removing the XHCI plugin from IOUSBFamily.kext. :) All usb ports are working now.

UPDATE3:

Tried AppleHDA, haven't managed to got it working yet. tried many applehda and dsdt but not working.

EDIT4: Found this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-150Mbps-USB-Wireless-Wifi-Adapter-LAN-Network-Adapter-802-11-RT5370-Chip-/350682535864?_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D163%26meid%3D6148368245214468215%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D310608426062%26

RT5370 Chip based usb wifi. I'm gonna buy this.

DSDT.aml.zip

try another thing, go to bios and set SATA to legacy mode.

The only option I have in my BIOS is AHCI or Compatible. I've tried both, but I always get stopped at 'still waiting for root device'

I'm beginning to lose hope guys. :(

The only option I have in my BIOS is AHCI or Compatible. I've tried both, but I always get stopped at 'still waiting for root device'

I'm beginning to lose hope guys. :(

Keep AHCI enabled in BIOS and boot With

USBBusFix=Yes -f -v (this ignores all kernael caches and forces reloading of kexts).

If not, disable UEFI boot in BIOS and try again.

@mjtill: yes I agree about the stability of Lion but Lion is the lesser of the last 3 cats... Plus 7-series chipset support is better in 10.8+

@skhan: no worries, good work.

need to fix usb3 >2 functionality (instead of ripping out kexts hehe)

props Dr.Hurt! GMA950

@ shane 369 I know this sounds crazy but I can't access my BIOS since I wiped Win8 :( Know a fix?

@ Dr.Hurt will upload vanilla DSDT soon, thanks for your input! warak 3aneib ya salaaaaaam :)

@sarim khan: ditch the usb adapter and get a lenovo atheros, that ralink stuff with the utility never works as good...

I wish I could check my BIOS version, Lenovo doesnt disclose any BIOS info online nor do they post any bios updates for our model line... hmmmm...

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a G780. I have tried myhack, and other methods to install 10.8.2 i still get "waiting for root device" I have tried the left usb and the right. legacy boot is selected. I tried the USBfix and the use kernel cache, I still get waiting for root device. my model has a i3 ivy, 4gb ram, 1 tb sata hdd, and HD 4000 gfx. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I've a G580 2689.

The guide worked fine for me, I just choose in the bios VGA mode = UMA only and not Optimus (because I also have the nVidia GT610M).

I just want to confirm that the touchpad is working (even the 2 finger scrolling) following that instructions:

http://www.osx86.net/view/1448-updated_trackpad+keyboard_ps2_32-64.html

First it wasn't working but after some reboot and with the installation of chameleon 2.1 it started working (don't know why), even the track panel in system preference shows the options for the trackpad.

I can't tell why it started working after so many reboots (4-5) but now it works.

I still have to make the Wifi working ( I have an AR9285 + 3011 for bluetooth), It detects it after installing the correct kext but it doesn't show any wifi spot. (It just shows finding networks... and then nothing)

I'll tell you if I manage to make it work, ideas are welcome.

Thank you

I just add 2 more tips for the installation:

1: by installing via USB you must use the usb on the right (USB 2.0)

2: during the installation of MB you have to select EB too.

Thank you for the guide!

Did EB break sleep?

I've a G580 2689.

The guide worked fine for me, I just choose in the bios VGA mode = UMA only and not Optimus (because I also have the nVidia GT610M).

I just want to confirm that the touchpad is working (even the 2 finger scrolling) following that instructions:

http://www.osx86.net..._ps2_32-64.html

First it wasn't working but after some reboot and with the installation of chameleon 2.1 it started working (don't know why), even the track panel in system preference shows the options for the trackpad.

I can't tell why it started working after so many reboots (4-5) but now it works.

I still have to make the Wifi working ( I have an AR9285 + 3011 for bluetooth), It detects it after installing the correct kext but it doesn't show any wifi spot. (It just shows finding networks... and then nothing)

I'll tell you if I manage to make it work, ideas are welcome.

Thank you

question, I have a G780 w/ just the HD 4000, used USB on right, "still waiting for root device" what did you do to get it to work on yours? I've tried all sorts of things in this guide. It just will not go past that error (im trying to install).

I just add 2 more tips for the installation:

1: by installing via USB you must use the usb on the right (USB 2.0)

2: during the installation of MB you have to select EB too.

Thank you for the guide!

I just cannot get it to Install on my G780, Core i3, 4gb ddr3, HD 4000 gfx (no nvidia). I've tried all sorts of things in this guide, No go. still get" waiting for root device" any help?

Nope, I'm still getting the exact same "still waiting for roort device" error as with the Lion installer. And yes I am absolutely sure that I am using the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3

Hi Mjtill

Have you got your problem solved yet? I got the same machine and stuck on the same message...

Hey guys how r u doing??? ...am new to his forum btw :help:

Well i need help regarding updating the BIOS version of my laptop because your laptop BIOS version is very much similar to mine...will you plzz provide me the BIOS backup .ROM file by using Universal BIOS Backup Utility.You can find the tool in the link below

Laptop - G580 (2689)

Current BIOS Version - 62CN40WW

i need any thing later to this BIOS version...so anybody having a later version or possibly 62CN41WW or anything later to the current version kindly extract it using the Universal BIOS Backup Utility in the below mentioned link

http://forums.mydigi...-Backup-Toolkit

after using this you will get a .ROM file created ...kindly upload it in some hosting or possibly in mediafire.Guys kindly help me to update the BIOS

question, I have a G780 w/ just the HD 4000, used USB on right, "still waiting for root device" what did you do to get it to work on yours? I've tried all sorts of things in this guide. It just will not go past that error (im trying to install).

I just cannot get it to Install on my G780, Core i3, 4gb ddr3, HD 4000 gfx (no nvidia). I've tried all sorts of things in this guide, No go. still get" waiting for root device" any help?

In the beginning I had a problem with a USB key, it was a Lexar USB 3.0 key but I can't remember the exact error it gave to me.

I then tried with a Kingston USB 2.0 and then the setup worked, I don't know it it's your problem but I don't know what else you can try.

Just my two cents

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Using iAtkos ML on a dual layer DVD, I've successfully installed Mountain Lion on G580 i5/3230 after the Windows partition. Now when I try to boot the partition with the DVD, I am able to get to the Welcome screen where you set up your account. Unfortunately I have no USB, no track pad and no keyboard and cannot proceed further. A few times the track pad looks like it's trying to move but jumps around the screen and won't let me click. Any help appreciated.