I Have RAID 0 Working - No Fuss

TomA2

31 posts in this topic

I have RAID 0 working on my D945GNT board! No weird routines or convoluted setups. I'm using the SATA interface, but it's set to IDE.

I want to see whether this setup will work with AHCI and I need the modded:

AppleAHCIPort.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

Could someone point me in the direction of these kexts?

wheres the tutorial to making this work? isnt this in the tutorial section?

I got it to work on my own.

But I need the drivers to test it with AHCI. I checked all over this board and all of the normal trackers--nothing.

I think it will work, but I don't want to say it will until I have tested it.

wheres the tutorial to making this work? isnt this in the tutorial section?

Oh, I see what you mean--I posted it in the wrong section. Yeah, I planned to post what I did to get it working, but then I decided to ask for the drivers to test those first, but I forgot to change sections.

Sorry about that.

But as soon as I test the drivers, I will update this thread with the info and then it will be correct.

hi tom

once my sata drives arrive, i plan to setup a raid 1 mirror. i wasnt aware there was anything 'special' which had to be done?

care to elaborate?

As I recall, RAID 1 seems to be fine as is, so you should have no problem, but even that will be faster with the above kexts and the proper BIOS settings.

It's RAID 0 that has caused some issues.

Up until now, I do not remember anyone reporting a successfully working RAID on a Hackintosh.

My RAID 0 works--it isn't bootable, but it works. It is connected to the internal SATA connectors. Currently, the SATA connectors are configured as IDE, which prevent it from being as fast as possible, but my XBench scores for 256k sequential blocks are:

Uncached Write 224.81 (127.20 MB/sec)

Uncached Read 243.39 (122.33 MB/sec)

Full results:

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=192005

My RAID 0 works--it isn't bootable, but it works. It is connected to the internal SATA connectors. Currently, the SATA connectors are configured as IDE, which prevent it from being as fast as possible

To me it sounds like your hard drive is working, but it's not a true raid. (no Data Stripping or Mirroring).

If you want to have your drive run in AHCI or RAID not IDE

change AppleAHCIPort.kext so the Dev ID and Ven ID match your SATA controller's.

If it is compatible you will get a speed boost, but it still won't be a true raid.

Does anyone know the Dev ID and Ven ID of the SATA controller on the Intel G945GNT mobo?

To me it sounds like your hard drive is working, but it's not a true raid. (no Data Stripping or Mirroring).

Thanks for the info about the kexts, but the rest of your post makes little sense.

I don't see how you can call two 153GB drives that are set to RAID0 and appear as a single 306GB drive on the desktop "not a true raid".

Please explain.

OK I found the info: VENID=8086 DEVID=27C1

I made the change and sure enough it sees the drives now.

HOWEVER, there is no speed increase at all in xbench--in fact, there is a slight decline.

Could this be because of the missing IOAHCIFamily.kext?

Anyone have any information about that one?

HOWEVER, there is no speed increase at all in xbench--in fact, there is a slight decline.

Could this be because of the missing IOAHCIFamily.kext?

Anyone have any information about that one?

Use your System Profiler to check under SATA and make sure it say Intel ICH7 and not generic.

If it does say generic it will cut your speed and mean that your SATA Controller is not completely compatible with AppleAHCIPort.kext.

If you left your BIOS settings to IDE, that could also make your drive be read as generic.

If you are missing IOAHCIFamily.kext it could cause your drive to be read as generic, use Pacifist to pull it off your install disc.

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to your xbench speeds before, they do indicate that your drive is running as true RAID.

Lots of people have a problem making the SATA drives boot, This is because the first byte on the drive is not available for what ever reason. There are several ways to fix it, but one that works best for me is to partition the drive as UNIX file system, and then partition it again as Mac OS Extended Journaled. After that it should be able to boot.

Use your System Profiler to check under SATA and make sure it say Intel ICH7 and not generic.

If it does say generic it will cut your speed and mean that your SATA Controller is not completely compatible with AppleAHCIPort.kext.

I'll check this tonight.

If you left your BIOS settings to IDE, that could also make your drive be read as generic.

It's AHCI now. Even though it seems SLIGHTLY slower, it also seems to be more reliable. I had a couple RAID errors when it was IDE that seem to have gone away.

If you are missing IOAHCIFamily.kext it could cause your drive to be read as generic, use Pacifist to pull it off your install disc.

I assume it belongs in ~/system/library/extensions. Definitely missing, if so.

Does it need a patch at all?

Lots of people have a problem making the SATA drives boot, This is because the first byte on the drive is not available for what ever reason. There are several ways to fix it, but one that works best for me is to partition the drive as UNIX file system, and then partition it again as Mac OS Extended Journaled. After that it should be able to boot.

Lots of questions here:

Do you think that would allow the RAID to boot as well?

If so, can I do this using Apple disk utility? Or do I need to do it through WINXP?

Also, should I format the RAID as UNIX, or should I format the individual drives each separately as UNIX?

Thanks again for all of the helpful information!

It's AHCI now. Even though it seems SLIGHTLY slower, it also seems to be more reliable. I had a couple RAID errors when it was IDE that seem to have gone away.

Try changing it to from AHCI to RAID, sometimes this setting works better.

when RAID is enabled AHCI is also enabled.

I assume it belongs in /system/library/extensions. Definitely missing, if so.

Does it need a patch at all?

Yes, but don't forget to repair your permission before you restart.

Lots of questions here:

Do you think that would allow the RAID to boot as well?

Yes.

If so, can I do this using Apple disk utility? Or do I need to do it through WINXP?

Apple disk utility.

Also, should I format the RAID as UNIX, or should I format the individual drives each separately as UNIX?

The RAID. Keep in mind that it takes a Several min. to format as UNIX. So, if it seems a little slow wait it out.

Quick dumb question...where abouts in System Profiler is this information? In the Serial-ATA section I don't see generic or Intel ICH7.

what does it say?

It says:

Capacity: 233.76 GB

Model: Maxtor 7Y250M0

Revision: YAR51PW0

Serial Number: Y66KAV5E

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk1

Protocol: ata

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Serial-ATA

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Try changing it to from AHCI to RAID, sometimes this setting works better.

when RAID is enabled AHCI is also enabled.

I tried that a few days ago, but it didn't boot at all. Will try again after the UNIX routine.

Thanks for taking the time to provide so much useful information! If this works it should help a lot of people whether or not they are running a RAID.

GOOD NEWS: After all of the above, it is recognized as supported!

BAD NEWS: I installed a DVD-ROM on the SATA bus and it didn't work. When I changed it from AHCI to IDE the drive was recognized as ATAPI. Damn. After all of that trouble getting AHCI working this dumb DVD drive doesn't work as AHCI. Not sure whether to return the DVD drive or not.

It says:

Revision: YAR51PW0

Serial Number: Y66KAV5E

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk1

Protocol: ata

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Serial-ATA

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

blkblt

It looks like you missed a few lines. the very first line is the important line.

For any of this to work your SATA controller would have to have a VEN ID of 8086.

If it doesn't you would probably have to play round with one of the IOATAFamily.kext plugins.

GOOD NEWS: After all of the above, it is recognized as supported!

BAD NEWS: I installed a DVD-ROM on the SATA bus and it didn't work. When I changed it from AHCI to IDE the drive was recognized as ATAPI. Damn. After all of that trouble getting AHCI working this dumb DVD drive doesn't work as AHCI. Not sure whether to return the DVD drive or not.

TomA2

That really is to bad.

I don't know if this helps, but while you are in IDE mode and your DVD-ROM is working you should be able to install to your SATA Drive and boot. You should still be able to boot if you change it to AHCI after the install. so, you might be able to have it work both ways while you figure out your DVD-ROM situation.

That really is to bad.

I don't know if this helps, but while you are in IDE mode and your DVD-ROM is working you should be able to install to your SATA Drive and boot. You should still be able to boot if you change it to AHCI after the install. so, you might be able to have it work both ways while you figure out your DVD-ROM situation.

Yeah. I have a call in to Lighton to determine why the drive doesn't work. In my opinion if they advertise it as SATA, it should work with AHCI, not just have a SATA connector.

The person I talked to said she really didn't know anything about the drive because it was too new, but said that she would have an engineer call me.

It has three unidentified jumpers, maybe those will do something.

blkblt

It looks like you missed a few lines. the very first line is the important line.

For any of this to work your SATA controller would have to have a VEN ID of 8086.

If it doesn't you would probably have to play round with one of the IOATAFamily.kext plugins.

That's all that there is in the Serial-ATA section of the System Profiler. At the top it the Device Tree, and when I click on "Serial-ATA bus", the first lines are:

Serial-ATA Bus:

Maxtor 7Y250M0: