nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

217 posts in this topic

a little step forward:

I disconnected ALL USB devices except my USB Drive, after booting and when the installer apears i connected my mouse and started the installation...works fine

booted back in Lion and done the last few steps, reboot but i cant boot.

and here i think is the Problem:

i have 1 HDD for the System: 1 partition is Lion and the 2 ist MT-Lion

i think i have to delete the hole HDD and put MT-Lion in the front of the HDD, but the Problem is, if this doesnt work, i dont have any MacOSX to modify the boot sequence and the next problem is i cant boot into Lion to install chamelon

or is it possible to boot from the USB drive into my installation of MT-Lion...because i think that was the way i've done it the last time

@ Kilopopo

Glad you got nForceLAN.kext version 0.64.5 finally working for you......:) Report how you get on with your Realtek ALC883 audio.......

@ JonnyFikCock

If you type in Terminal

diskutil list

you will see the volumes and partition numbers for your /dev/disk# numbers; e.g. in my own case:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Microsoft Basic Data FAT32_A 250.0 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS S1TB_OSX_Archive 749.9 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_Boot 12.9 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX32_1063 189.0 GB disk1s3

4: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX32_1064 189.0 GB disk1s4

5: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_1074 189.0 GB disk1s5

6: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX32_1068 189.0 GB disk1s6

7: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_1068 189.0 GB disk1s7

8: Apple_HFS S1TB_GPT_OSX64_10.8 41.3 GB disk1s8

/dev/disk2

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk2

1: Windows_NTFS Win7_Pro64_Main 250.1 GB disk2s1

2: Windows_NTFS Win7_Pro_64_Backup 250.1 GB disk2s2

/dev/disk3

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3

1: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_Boot 13.0 GB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_1056M 189.1 GB disk3s2

3: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_1056B 189.1 GB disk3s3

4: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX32_1058 189.1 GB disk3s5

5: Apple_HFS S1TB_MBR_OSX64_1074 189.1 GB disk3s6

6: Windows_NTFS 1TB_NTFS 230.7 GB disk3s7

/dev/disk4

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk4

1: Linux 1.0 GB disk4s1

2: Windows_NTFS Vista_Ult_32 249.5 GB disk4s3

3: DOS_FAT_32 FAT32_B 111.5 GB disk4s5

4: Linux_Swap 6.1 GB disk4s6

5: Linux 30.7 GB disk4s7

6: Linux 101.2 GB disk4s8

/dev/disk5

0: Apple_partition_scheme *14.2 MB disk5

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk5s1

2: Apple_HFS verdantChameleonMLio... 14.1 MB disk5s2

Start either fdisk440 in "editor mode" (from Chameleon boot loader) if you are dual booting with Windows (because it writes the boot0 code to the first 440 bytes of the MBR leaving the Windows MBR code untouched), or the standard OS X fdisk in "editor mode", in Terminal as follows (using my /dev/disk3 as the example):

sudo fdisk440 -e /dev/disk3

or

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk3

which gives, respectively:

fdisk440: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information
fdisk: 1>

and

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information

In either case you can ignore the error message......

Now you can type "print" or "p" to determine which OS X volume/partition to set as "Active":

fdisk: 1> print
Disk: /dev/disk3 geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
	 Starting	   Ending
#: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [	 start -	   size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1: AF	0   1   1 - 1023 254  63 [		63 -   25427968] HFS+		
2: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [  25428060 -  369360896] HFS+		
3: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 394788996 -  369360896] HFS+		
4: 05 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 764149892 - 1189375276] Extended DOS

or

fdisk: 1> p
Disk: /dev/disk3 geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
	 Starting	   Ending
#: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [	 start -	   size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1: AF	0   1   1 - 1023 254  63 [		63 -   25427968] HFS+		
2: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [  25428060 -  369360896] HFS+		
3: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 394788996 -  369360896] HFS+		
4: 05 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [ 764149892 - 1189375276] Extended DOS

Note that the * symbol alongside a given partition number indicates that this partition is flagged as the active partition.....

Now you can re-choose which partition you want flagged as active:

type f #

where # is replaced by the volume/partition that you want to set as active; for example:

fdisk: 1> flag 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1>

Note the * symbol confirming partition 1 as the active partition.

This change of active partition can now be written to the MBR by typing "quit" at the fdisk prompt:

fdisk:*1> quit
Writing current MBR to disk.
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

Typing y at this point will take you back to the Terminal $ prompt, whereas pressing Return will take you back to the fdisk prompt......

Alternatively, if you want the time to make sure of your active partition before writing the change to the MBR, then type "write" instead of "quit" at the fdisk prompt:

fdisk:*1> write
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

Typing y at this point will result in:

Writing MBR at offset 0.

Typing "exit" at this point will take you back to the Terminal $ prompt......

For good measure, you can also run the appropriate Chameleon bootloader installer or install the Chameleon boot loader manually to install Chameleon onto each of your OS X system volumes on the HDD.......

good news:

i'm writting this from MTLion :-) thx verdant

what i've done now:

disconnected all USB devices except my USB Drive, boot to OSX installation, plugged in keyboard and mouse and formated my hdd (1. MTLion 2. Windows) and installed OSX on it

after installation booted again in the installation but i opened terminal and copied all the stuff i need (kext and so on) to MTLion, reboot with USB Drive but then selected my MTLion hdd...it works! installed bootloader and now i can boot with no problems :-) (only Sound dont work, but i have a Idea how to solve it)

now i'm going to install windows and hope that can boot back in OSX sometimes :-)

soooo much thanks to verdant!!!

@ JonnyFikCock

Glad to have helped and that you got it all sorted but did you check if it was not just as matter of making the original OS X MLion partition active as I explained in post #27 before you did a clean re-install of MLion......?

For easy booting of Windows 7, I use EasyBCD v2.x as my boot manager in Windows, as I have Windows and OS X and Linux on separate HDDs......

@ JonnyFikCock

Glad to have helped and that you got it all sorted but did you check if it was not just as matter of making the original OS X MLion partition active as I explained in post #27 before you did a clean re-install of MLion......?

For easy booting of Windows 7, I use EasyBCD v2.x as my boot manager in Windows, as I have Windows and OS X and Linux on separate HDDs......

MTLion and Win7 runs perfect now with Chameleon as bootloader!! Thanks

And i checked what you said, but it doesnt really help, because fdisk printed very weired informations about the disks, none of my disks had partitions and some disks had negative count of cylinders...very weird, so i decided to delete my main hdd, now all works great!!

@ Kilopopo

Glad to help......:)

Good to hear that VoodooHDA 2.7.3 is working for you...............are there any inputs/outputs not working and/or any sound volume/quality issues......?

it WAS fine except that I have to adjust the input gain level on the voodoo helper app.

NOW after installing clitools for development the one that on apple developers website the voodoohda kext stopped working i tried uninstalling and installing it again and no luck. I am going to take a break from mountain lion installation.

maybe next week ill work on it again.

Thanks for your guide

Verdant, even not being an Intel mobo user (as you can see in my sig), i want to thank you very much for what i see as a complete crash course of OSX install! Very detailed, very didactic, with a lot of troubleshooting procedures. This should be at the Genius Bar section, pinned forever.

The explanation of dsdt fixes is what interested me the most. Since some time, i'm trying to get myself taught on the subject, by people seems to be reticent in sharing knowledge about it, so it was almost a try-and-error science for me. You, however, wrote a clear step by step lesson that made me understand a lot of things.

Let me asking one question: can i apply some of those patches to get native power management in my netbook (and, hopefully, my desktop, yet knowing that AMD is a different beast altogether)? I tried to generate C and P states using Chameleon to no avail, and AFAIK it's NullCPUPowerManagement kext that's barring me to succeed (and it block sleep enablers from effectively doing anything also). VoodooPowerManagement doesn't help, so dsdt is my last hope, i'm afraid. Would it worth a try?

Again, thanks a lot!

@ theconnactic

I am pleased that you find the guide helpful and thank you for your appreciative comments.......... :)

As for your comment about my guide:

This should be at the Genius Bar section, pinned forever.

that decision would be up to the InsanelyMac Admins/Moderators........

Regarding your question about DSDT patching for AMD CPU MOBO, since this topic is for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs, I have PM'd you............ ;)

Update: I have sent you a 2nd PM to elaborate on the first PM.

Edited by verdant

• 2 weeks later...

Verdant got my sound working again with the official voodoohda 2.7.3 installer

i installed cli tools and installed voodoohda 2.7.3 installer and it worked perfectly.

I have not tested the audio input though i dont have a compatible mic on me.

BTW I installed 10.8.2 from app store and it worked flawlessly

@ Kilopopo

Good news about audio and 10.8.2 updating via App Store. As usual I downloaded the standalone 10.8.2 Combo updater and ran it........all went OK with no problems........:) I still need to update 10.7.4 systems to 10.7.5.....

Did you do any modifications to kexts at all? both mine are working with just graphics enabler on.

P.S. I've since replaced my nForce board but they were working before I did.

Yes, I have tried with enabling the graphics enabler but no luck. Did you replace any graphic kext?

Thanks!!!!

• 1 month later...

@Verdant

Yes, I have used the kext wizard to install it using that method.

I will save a copy of ApplePolicyControl.kext then remove it and try booting from HDD again.

If i recall, it compiles without error. But I will completely erase it and try again this evening.

Again, my gratitude for your extensive help. You are awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

@ theconnactic

I am pleased that you find the guide helpful and thank you for your appreciative comments.......... :)

As for your comment about my guide:

that decision would be up to the InsanelyMac Admins/Moderators........

Regarding your question about DSDT patching for AMD CPU MOBO, since this topic is for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs, I have PM'd you............ ;)

Update: I have sent you a 2nd PM to elaborate on the first PM.

hi

your install guide is very interesting indeed and I think he deserves to be pinned. :)

by cons, I'm not sure it is a good idea to put it in The Genius Bar for fear it is completely forgotten, so I prefer to leave it here so it will be visible by everyone. ;)

Cordially, staff

@ brandoc0mmand0

Glad to help.......... :)

@ fantomas1

I am pleased that you find my guide very interesting and worthy of being pinned.......its increased visibility in the OSx86 forum will enable it to help more IM readers............. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went and started a fresh install of Mountain Lion so i could try and stay vanilla as possible. I've got it installed but it keeps freezing at this screen that i've attached. It doesn't give me an error, it just stays there forever. I've never done a vanilla install before, i've always used pre-configured installers like iAtkos or the like. I was able to install it to the HDD but i can't boot into it without running the -x boot flag in chameleon. Right now the only non-vanilla kexts i'm using FakeSMC. nullappleintelcpupowermanagement, AppleNforceAta64 and nforceLAN64.. any ideas on how to go forward? ;x

Cpu: Q6600

Mobo: Asus Striker 2 Extreme nForce 790i

Graphics: PNY GeForce 550 Ti GTX 1gb

Ram: 8gb Corsair Dominator

hzHbS.jpg

@ manny

What version of Chameleon do you have installed?

Disable Firewire in BIOS temporarily

It is not clear from your post if you are using kexts from my Support Files folder..........I would recommend that you use as a starting point:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

AppleRTC.MLion.Patched.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if setting up Native Power Management in OS X.......

I'm using the latest version of Chameleon v.2.1

I've disabled firewire and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Sorry if i wasn't clear, it was late and was getting frusturated. lol

I was using the kexts provided in your support files. Also, just as a note, whenever you click the download link on the first page, it sends you to a place that asks you to download an .exe

Luckily, i've had your support files backed up for a while just in case :P

It just seems to freeze at the point in the start up. The only way of getting in is through safe mode ;/

@ manny

When clicking on Sendspace ignore all reference to iLivid and all active buttons except:

post-200327-0-09616200-1355088923_thumb.png

Have a go at doing via Terminal

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup.....

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

If no change, then try using Chameleon 2.1svn-r2042.......

@ manny

See Post #6 Issue 2.........it may solve your problem........

Alternatively, it may be a video driver issue......

@ manny

I suspected as much as my 650i has never displayed a Post #6 Issue 2 problem.........any display problems I have had at bootup have invariably been graphics card related..........I hope you are able to find a solution............ :)

Thanks, Verdant! I think you've helped me out the most here trying to get this thing going smoothly! I think its just that the Fermi gpu (and the 550ti in particular, which i think was my problem concerning the hdmi port in my other thread) doesn't play very well with Mountain Lion, so i've rolled back to 10.7.5 in the meantime and will be looking to upgrade the graphics to a 6xx series kepler gpu. Which from my understanding is supportedly natively. So time will tell!

:wallbash: