nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

217 posts in this topic

@ brandoc0mmand0

Since I presume that you have the DSDT.aml file in / on your bootable ML USB drive, it should have booted OK, so I think the issue is not with your DSDT.aml file......?

So try the following:

1. Disconnect the PC from mains power, remove the CMOS battery and wait for 10 minutes.

2. Re-insert the CMOS battery and reconnect the PC to mains power and boot the PC from the bootable ML USB drive

and see what happens.....

Sorry I forgot to remind you that when you reboot the PC in step 2., you will need to re-enter your OS X BIOS settings and then boot from the bootable ML USB drive......

@Verdant

I just checked the bootable USB, and do not see a DSDT.aml file in the root.

I do see the Extras folder with extensions.

I disconnected from power and removed the CMOS battery.

Will boot in a few mins and let you know what happens.

Do I need to have the DSDT.aml in root in order to boot?

Before I got the system running and booting off the HDD, I was using the ML USB and it would boot fine.

@ brandoc0mmand0

Not having the DSDT.aml in root should not prevent the PC booting........

@Verdant

Still no dice....cant boot with either the HDD or the ML USB...tried all sorts of boot flags too....

I'm afraid I may have destroyed it and will have to start from scratch again =(

I have a time machine backup however....would that even work to restore my system after everything is installed?

@ brandoc0mmand0

Try the following:

1. Disconnect the PC from mains power, remove the CMOS battery and the graphics card and then wait for 30 minutes.

2. Re-insert the CMOS battery and the graphics card, reconnect the PC to mains power and boot the PC from the bootable ML USB drive

and see what happens.....

Just a thought........check your PC BIOS to see if there is a parameter for selecting which MOBO slot the graphics card is in......

Edited by verdant

@ brandoc0mmand0

This is strange.......since you have changed nothing on the bootable USB drive and it booted into OS X without any problems before the BIOS reset, at present I cannot think of a reason for it to be OS X related......

So, I suggest you look in the manual for your MOBO just to check and set all default BIOS settings and then get hold of any Linux Live CD or DVD to boot from, so that you can confirm that there is no problem with your graphics card.....

@Verdant

The only thing that was changed, was:

1. Removed DSDT from root to desktop

2. In BIOS - Load Defaults

I then updated all BIOS settings to what you provided....and nothing works to boot. I highly doubt the Graphics card failed, as I have been using it every since day for past few months.

I will try a DVD drive with a linux boot and see what happens.

Thanks for your continued support

@ brandoc0mmand0

I agree that the video card is unlikely to have failed.......however, trying a Linux Live DVD will help to see if the issue is BIOS / graphics card related, or BIOS / OS X related......

You can also try the following:

1. Disconnect the PC from mains power, remove the CMOS battery and graphics card, and then wait for 10 minutes.

2. Re-insert only the CMOS battery and reconnect the PC to mains power and boot the PC into the BIOS setup and select BIOS defaults and let the PC attempt to boot from the internal HDD and then power down and disconnect the PC from mains power.

3. Insert the graphics card, reconnect the PC to mains power and boot the PC into the BIOS setup and select OS X BIOS settings, and then let the PC attempt to boot from the internal HDD

I will check back at some point tomorrow on your progress........

@Verdant

I cant boot the PC without the graphics card...there is no onboard..

I have confirmed booting into Ubuntu and everything works, the graphics card is not the issue.

I can however access both of my drives and i have access to the root directory, I cant get access to the desktop though so I cant get to the DSDT.aml file.

Any ideas?

@ brandoc0mmand0

BTW by booting I did not mean that you should expect to see anything without a graphics card........but no graphics card would not stop the boot process starting.....

For information on the DSDT see the FAQ topic by iLeopod here.....note that he too says that a DSDT should not be required to boot OS X and as you said, your bootable ML USB drive used to boot OK without a DSDT.aml file.....

To extract your original DSDT.aml file using the Ubuntu Live DVD, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and then go to the Terminal and type either

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"
sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 11.xx and later, or

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"
sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 10.xx or earlier

In either case, the extracted DSDT.aml file should have been saved on the USB flash drive, for later decompiling, patching and recompiling using iasl or iasl based tools.

@Verdant

Thank you once again for info to extract the DSDT.aml file.

I have included it here: DSDT.aml.zip

I tried your method of removing CMOS, waiting 10 mins, booting without gfx card into defaults, then power down.

Re-insert gfx card and boot into OSX settings. No dice.

Also when I tried to access the OSX HDD via Linux, it was "Read Only" so I was not able to move the DSDT.aml file to the HDD. But as you previously said, not having that file in the root should not disable the computer from booting.

Update: Finally got the computer to boot!!!!! I added the NV Enabler 64 kext to the bootable USB and I got in. Added the DSDT.aml file back to the root and everything is fine and dandy.

Would you mind taking a look at my DSDT.aml file and ensure I did things properly?

@ brandoc0mmand0

Are you also using NVEnabler64.kext on the SATA HDD?

I ask because you say it only took this kext on the bootable USB to see the booting take place not the DSDT.aml file.

I will look at your DSDT.aml file. @ brandoc0mmand0 790i DSDT.zip

Fixed 1 warning. Also, removed IRQNoFlags entries from RTC, TMR and PIC sections.

Doing so for TMR and PIC will prevent audio stutter if and when you choose to enable Native Power Management in OS X.....

@ brandoc0mmand0

Glad your system is running again.....:)

So are you using GraphicsEnabler + Yes method for your graphics?

@Verdant

Thank you!

Yes, in my boot.plist file, GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Strange, now my VoodooHDA & nForceLAN kexts are installed in S/L/E but they are not working or loading....any ideas?

I used Kext Wizard to install them, and used terminal to reset permissions.

Confirm that your org.chameleon.Boot.plist includes

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

and then type the following commands in Terminal

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup.....

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz

IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

kernelcache

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

Confirmed boot.plist includes the UseKernelCache.

Did those terminal commands.

Got Audio working using VoodooHDA 2.7.3!

No matter what I try....the nForceLAN kext will not load.

I have installed it, updated permissions, cleared caches but it just will not load on its own.

Confirm that you are using the nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext from my verdant_Mountain_Lion_Support_Files_v1.0 and that you have enabled an onboard LAN port in BIOS.......

Confirmed using nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

From

verdant_Mountain_Lion_Support_Files_v1.0

However i fixed my issue because the MAC0 LAN & MAC1 LAN from the BIOS settings PDF you provided shows them to be DISABLED.

Doh >_<

Back up and running 100%.

Thanks for your patience with me. Sent you a little donation ;)

In my BIOS template for installing OS X, they are shown disabled for initially installing OS X because the OS X installer automatically attempts to connects back to Apple for you to register the installation (which you may not wish to do.....) and if the nForceLAN.kext is not yet set up properly, there can be problems......

Glad to help and appreciate the donation....... :)

P.S. Recommend you keep a backup of your DSDT.aml and all necessary non-Apple kexts and SMBIOS.plist and Boot.plist files etc. on a FAT32 USB flash drive......can be helpful in emergencies......

BTW if you have any audio quality or other issues with VoodooHDA 2.7.3, that you cannot resolve from here, then see here for a possible alternative......

Edited by verdant

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with an EVGA GTX 460 card. After kernel start i have black screen( monitor goes off) but the system is working(hdd reading, sounds). I can show the screen if i remove all gpu drivers, but in this case i have an unknown graphic card and 1024 resolution. Can someone help me to setup my gtx460 propely?

@ XxXPachaXxX

Does the black screen( monitor goes off) with the system is working (hdd reading, sounds) happen when you set GraphicsEnabler=Yes?

If so, run IORegistryExplorer (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, then send me a download link for this file and your DSDT.aml file....