nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

217 posts in this topic

The only info I could find was that the audio is from nVidia. Did you look that up somewhere (if so, where)? I was under the assumption that it was not made by Realtek. One problem I'm still having is the mic doesn't work with Teamspeak. The mic works and I can hear it on my speakers but nothing through Teamspeak. I have tried all the options in Teamspeak and nothing works. Maybe I will try the ALC888.

Got it. Had to turn up the IMix in the Voodoo pref pane.

Now that that's all working, I started seeing a stability problem. Seems to crash once in a while when I'm doing Finder operations. Should I open a new topic for this?

@ MegaloDon

Check here for solving VoodooHDA related kernel panics as a starting point........however, Safari and/or Flash (if installed) may be the problem, so try another browser.........or Spotlight Indexing, so disable it to see.......or a memory issue, so see if using maxmem=3456 as a boot flag increases your MOBO stability........see the discussion between myself and Nick Savage starting here......

post-1160550-0-75551200-1370482354_thumb.gifpost-1160550-0-15555900-1370482356_thumb.gif

Seems to be happening more and more often now. Haven't had time to troubleshoot yet but I posted a couple screenshots of SystemInfo if that's of any use. Seems to happen most often during file operations. Especially doing 'Get Info'. Will try suggestions later when I get time. Oh and I don't use Safari at all, only Firefox.

Thanks

@ MegaloDon

It is most likely a memory / CPU interaction issue since as you say "Seems to happen most often during file operations."...... so try maxmem=3456 as a boot flag first.......

Update:

After trying all the options you suggested (except the VoodooHDA) to no avail, I decided to try a new rebuild.  I had done so many things to my system that it was hard to tell if I may have fubar'd something.  Since this is mainly a learning experience for me, not a big deal.  While trying to create a new USB flash install and not being successful (on my other OSX machine with TonyMac approved hardware :P ), I determined that my old 32 GB flash is not functioning properly.  So I went out and bought a new one (64 GB).  Worked perfectly!  I did a fresh install and did not install any audio drivers.  Problem still exists.

Verdant, any chance you could look at my dsdt and help me patch it if need be?  Let me know what I need to send you if you would care to help.

Thanks

Edited by MegaloDon

@ MegaloDon

As regards not being able to afford and/or justify the expense of a new Mac, you are in the majority; as am I, at least while all my G5, G4 and G3 PPC Macs (see my Interests), including my Beige G3's (running OS 9.2.2, OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4.11), and my Intel Hack continue to run without blinking....... :hysterical:

Please give me a download link for your original unpatched DSDT.aml file.....

To extract your original DSDT.aml file using the Ubuntu Live DVD, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and then go to the Terminal and type either

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"
sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 11.xx and later, or

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"
sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 10.xx or earlier

In either case, the extracted DSDT.aml file should have been saved on the USB flash drive, for later decompiling, patching and recompiling using iasl or iasl based tools......

Also, if you can, boot OS X and run IORegistryExplorer v2.x (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, then send me a download link for this file and for your extracted DSDT.aml file....

@ MegaloDon

OK use Chameleon Wizard

@ MegaloDon

I have PM'd you the patched DSDT........:)

greetings. I am a new user, i have been toying around with os x for the last couple of months and this guide has helped me out alot so firstly i want to say thanks to Verdant and its other contributors. 

I have access to a 630i, 750i and 790i ultra all XFX versions and naturally i have tried to install ML on all of them with various levels of success. 630i works well as does 750i but the 790i refused to work in anything other than safe mode :( so I've gone back to the 750i.

The current setup is 750i with a Q8300 cpu. I have 8GB of DDR2-800 installed and i used Iatkos ML 10.8.2 as the distro added the nforceata.imk.kext to get it to install. Having the 630i working in ML has given me a platform to attach my HDD to to resolve issues. I have managed to get the 750i almost fully working without a DSDT but as i read more i understand this is not ideal?

i have no extra/extensions folder.. everything is in S/L/E.

My Chameleon bootloader is 2.2 r2244.

My macversion is just 3,1 

My org.chameleon.boot.plist, the following are ticked:

Use kernel cache 

npci=0x2000 

Ethernet built in

Restart fix

Graphics Enabler 

everything else is not including P-states C-states etc

I have followed the guide for bios setting for 750i AHCI/SATA etc

The sound is working with VoodooHDA v2.8.2x64.ML 

My graphics is a Inno3D GTX470 which although recognised as a 'point of view' brand seems to be working well. 

CPU is seen as 2.5Ghz Xeon 

S/L/E added kexts

netkas FakeSMC 3.1.0

EvOreboot.kext

AppleRTC & AppleRTC1082?

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

AppleHDAdisabler.kext 1.0.1

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

JMicronATA

JMicron36xATA

JMicron36xSATA

JMicron36xAHCIEnabler

NVClockX.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

nforcelan.0.64.5.kext

RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext for my bekin usb wireless dongle.

saffire.kext for my external FW Focusrite Saffire pro24 Soundcard. 

SuperIOFamily.kext with F718.kext only in plugins, other 3 plugins removed.

The only issue im really having is this.. when i use my Firewire audio interface the USB seems to stop responding after a few minutes. The computer doesnt crash as such because whatever I'm playing music wise continues to come out the speakers its literally that the usb bus stops responding. Without the Firewire card i can use the computer for hours on end no problem browsing internet or using Logic Pro 9 or gaming thru crossover etc ive tried various things PS2 keyboard or mouse plugged in aswell from boot but they arent working or switching/using USBbusfix.

Any ideas or advice about dsdt for this board welcomed. Thanks in advance

@ neilbah

Glad my guide has helped you...... :)

I have a number of suggestions:

1. Switch to a USB keyboard and USB mouse, and remove the VoodooPS2Controller.kext

2. Rename the original AppleRTC.kext to AppleRTC.kext_Orig

3. Use AppleRTC.MLion.Patched.kext from verdant_Mountain_LIon_Support_Files_v1.0, and reset kext ownership/permissions/kernelcache etc.

4. Remove the JMicron*.kexts unless you have / use devices on or off the MOBO with a JMicron chipset

5. Follow Post #4 about Generating and Modifying the DSDT.aml File for Your Own nForce MOBO

BTW what is your 790i MOBO brand / model.........elaborate on the problems you have with it, as it should be set up similarly to your 750i for OS X......

If you are unsure about Post #5, extract your DSDT.aml file:

Use Chameleon Wizard or whatever method you prefer to extract your original unlatched DSDT.aml file....

and your .ioreg file:

Boot OS X and run IORegistryExplorer v2.x (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, then send me a download link for this file and for your extracted DSDT.aml file....

(while you have your Firewire devices connected), and send me  a download link......

• Like 1

thanks for getting back to me, to clarify i am using a USB keys/mouse its just the bus freezes now and then. Cheers for your suggestions. do you mean remove the applertc1082.kext then install the .MLion patched version? i will export my ioreg etc and get back to you :)

RE the xfx 790i whatever i tried i would always get 'still waiting for root device' during boot except when loading with -v -f -x. I didn't try pata installs only sata/usb combinations and variations of the red jmicron sata port or standard sata on the board. I installed both iatkos and niresh distros this way but both had similar problems i guess as the kexts i was adding were from the same sources. I spent a lot of hours on it. The experience gained made it easier to understand the xfx 750i and instead of adding all the kexts from the verdant support files i just used the imk nfoce kext and managed to get it installed on the first attempt then added the others gradually to get to where i am now. 

@ neilbah

Yes, remove the applertc1082.kext then install the .MLion patched version, as well as renaming the original AppleRTC.kext to AppleRTC.kext_Orig.....

As for the 790i, if you have a SATA DVD device connected to the MOBO, disconnect it........initially connect only the SATA HDD you are installing OS X onto, to a standard SATA port on the MOBO and ideally use a PATA DVDRW jumper-set and connected to the MOBO as Master......initially setting the 790i BIOS as indicated in my OS X BIOS template.....

BTW a full retail install is better than a distro install......

@ neilbah

In order to get past the "Still waiting for root device" on my 780i I had to do the following:

Install AHCIPortInjector.kext
Use npci=0x2000 AND PCIRootUID=1

That got me past the root device issue but still could not boot without safe mode.  Needed a DSDT.aml to fix that.  Chameleon Wizard will do that for you but won't optimize it for your system.  That's where Verdant comes in.  He da man!  :P

Of course everything in his guide and what he is telling you now is needed as well.  Those are just the missing pieces of my puzzle and hopefully will be of use for you.

The only thing is disconnecting my SATA DVD did not seem to make a difference on mine.  I went through several iterations of build and rebuild and whether it was connected or not, seemed to make no difference.  My last successful build had it connected.  May be different for you.  Also I do not have a jmicron controller on this mobo so maybe that will come into play?

@ neilbah

I will PM you a patched DSDT.aml file when it is done...........:)

Thanks a lot verdant, i have done what was suggested, replaced applertc, placed the dsdt in root. I checked the bdmesg to see what it says after booting and it says using custom dsdt :) On the whole i'd say its running well and I'm pleased.

alas i am still struggling with firewire/usb (detection of the ralink usb wireless stick im using seems temperamental) using the firewire soundcard still crashes the usb bus after a random amount of time 30secs to 30mins, and sleep/resume not working being my only issues. im still using nullcpupowermanagement but not the one from your support files, would using generate C states & P states & dropssdt be any use? im not sure if my cpu is stepping. Also when i installed this Q8300 cpu on my 630i running 10.8.2 overclocking in the bios change the cpu speed in 'about this mac', where as on the 750i it doesnt seem to be doing that... for example i boot the mobo with 1400FSB for a small OC from 2.5GHz to 2.62 but in osx/maccpuid it still reads 2.5GHz.

other concerns.....

i added acpimonitor from your verdant support files, no ill effects

what would ahciportinjector from your E/E do? im not using any Extra folder by the way.

i take it i dont need all the plugins in superiofamily? only the F718x kext seemed to be found. 

Is there a smbios that works with yorkfield cpu & ddr2 other than the default 3,1

Shutting down or restarting takes a long time compared to my other hackintoshes so im wondering if this is down to a lack of openhaltrestart or because i have included EvOreboot (in S/L/E). Forgive all these questions but I'm still trying to work out all the dependancies.

@ neilbah

1. I will look at a possible Firewire - USB conflict patch for your DSDT.aml file  

EDIT: I have PM'd you a new DSDT.aml file to try. Send me your lspci -nn output please......Do not forget to name file as DSDT.aml

2. See post #5 on setting up speed stepping.

3. I have never had to use the AHCIPortInjector.kext on my nForce 650i chipset MOBO, since it only adds a device name to AHCI controllers which are not included in the AppleAHCIPort.kext, e.g.  in the case of Intel ICH9 and earlier ICH chipsets, i.e. it is cosmetic only.....

In the /Extra folder there should be 

modules

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

smbios.plist

with no kexts in /E/E, while in /S/L/E, there should be for OS X with LAN and Audio 

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

AppleRTC.MLion.Patched.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

VoodooHDA.kext (if VoodooHDA.kext gives you audio)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (required to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext when your DSDT.aml is not set up for speed stepping via Device (LPCB).....)

with, in my case, for hardware sensors:

ACPIMonitor.kext

IntelCPUMonitor.kext

IntelThermal.kext

NVClockX.kext

SuperIOFamily.kext

You can delete any redundant kexts from Plugins of SuperIOFamily.kext.

4. For an alternative SMBIOS.plist you can use a iMac12,1 (or even try a iMac12,2), or a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS.plist.....BTW to use a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS.plist, you must disable the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext by renaming it to e.g. AppleTyMCEDriver.kext_BAD, and then re-create the kernelcache via terminal:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

and also delete the kernel cache from /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.....

Edited by verdant

Verdant,

The new dsdt you sent is working much better.  It still crashes an average of like once a day, but not like every half hour or so like before.  (If it were Windows, that would be normal.  LOL)  I also switched from MacPro3,1 to iMac12,2.  Any advantage to switching to MacPro5,1?  And what is the purpose of AppleTyMCEDriver.kext?

Thanks again

Spoke too soon.  Right after I posted this, I closed my mail and the computer locked up.  Come to think of it, that has happened a few other times.  (Not quitting the Mail app, just closing the window.)  Any known issues with the Mail app?  I'm not sure what logs I should be looking at or where they are located.

Edited by MegaloDon

@ MegaloDon

I sent you a few DSDT versions.........which one are you using now?

I believe the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS.plist enables the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to load, giving full GPU power management for nVidia Fermi or Kepler graphics cards, reducing their power consumption.......

AppleTyMCEDriver.kext checks for the presence of EEC RAM and then implements EEC RAM support........

Re Mail.app, try deleting from Library

com.apple.AddressBook
AddressBook-v22.abcddb
com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

Edited by verdant

Hi verdant, thanks for your files. ive tried the various DSDTs supplied, i tried the first one and the RTC PIC TMR DTGP LPCB patched one, both load ok and get me into ML but with the USB/firewire issue. if i boot with the firewire attached then USB stops responding almost immediately on entering the OS. If i attach it after the OS has loaded i get a few minutes use. Without the firewire attached the computer works great for hours. Is there a program i can run or a log i can check to see what is happening. Its a timeout or conflict im guessing. 

The latest RTC PIC TMR DTGP LPCB firewire DSDT also freezes the USB keyboard mouse after a few minutes and also in About this mac the graphics card is missing as is the display device even though nvclock picks it up during boot. I will compile a list of all the kexts i have as im sure theres a fair few i probably dont need in S/L/E. 

@ neilbah

Let me have your lspci -nn output file so I can check your device IDs

I can then check your DSDT.aml file again

Your DSDT is not patched for your graphics card, so I assume you are using Chameleon with GraphicsEnabler=Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

You only need to list the non-Apple kexts that you manually installed in /S/L/E

BTW when installing kexts in /S/L/E I assume you reset the kext ownership and permissions, and re-created the kernel cache.....