Mountain Lion 32-bit Kernel?

mnfesq

55 posts in this topic

Hello, happy hackers! :thumbsup_anim: I'm deeply interested on the subject, because i have two unsupported hardware: - nvidia 7600 gs - attansic L1 ethernet (1969:1048 - i've tried several kexts, no way for now) And of course i'm not alone in this case, there's lot of people with old or unsupported harware who have a lot of frustration with apple radical turn to 64 bits only. For exemple see here, this blog had beaten some records of frequentation since this tutorial was published! So a strange idea comes to my mind: instead of using a 32 bits kernel, could it be possible to imagine a 64 bits wrapper (in the form of a generic 64 bits kext) capable of loading 32 bits kexts? This could solve many problems, the first of course is the fact that all hacks that could be made on the kernel, or on the system kexts are not future-proof. As some have remarked, with the acceleration of updates (apple say they will release one major update per year!), we can't see a bright future for our actual hacks that will soon be rendered completely obsolete by future updates. A 64 bits wrapper could be a long-term solution for those who want to keep their hardware as long as possible, because not everyone can afford to renew it every year or even every 3 years. As an exemple, i'm stuck with my obsolete graphic card and i don't see for now any possibility for me to buy a new one, and i'm certain to not being the only one in this case. (sorry for my poor english)

Slice is a very talented and capable OS X community developer. If anyone at all could achieve this, it is him.

Send Slice a message

The X Labs - InsanelyMac Forum

• Like 1

Slice is a very talented and capable OS X community developer. If anyone at all could achieve this, it is him.

Send Slice a message

The X Labs - InsanelyMac Forum

Thanks a lot DarwinX! I will send him a message, i hope to not waste his time though...

I have a real admiration about the developers of the community... When i think about it, i was there when Maxxuss published his first blog articles, followed by Netkas and his amazing work on real time decryption, Melkhort, Anv, Slice of course, and some others (Superhai, Koolkal, Semjaza...) very smart and rare people that are really the origin and the heart of the osx86 project, or simply have helped, by revolutionnary methods or distros, noobs like me to enjoy osx on their cheap pcs!

I hope one day one or some of these remarkable personalities will tell the story behind all that (a future blog article?), seen from the inside, i think it worths a novel! A very technical sort of novel, but of course behind the technics there's also human stories that worth to be telled.

UPDATE: message sent, finger crossed, knocked some wood, etc...

• Like 1

Interesting and a good tutorial to compile our own kernel, anyway Netkas have already released a 32 bits kernel, but this is only a part of the problem, the other one is that you must have compatible kexts, and Netkas said that there's still uncompatibilities with ML and nvidias 7xxx, for exemple see this article, no QE/CI in ML for now ...

UPDATE: Good news! :) I received an answer from Slice! It seems that my idea is not as stupid as it looks, and this could be a real possibility!

I proposed to submit my idea in the "X-Lab", if he agree this could be the beginning of a new development, why not? This is just great! :thumbsup_anim:

UPDATE2: I submitted a new topic to the X-Lab, of course it needs to be approved by moderators first. "What will be, will be"... hrrmm... "Que sera, sera"? Or something like that... :smoke::guitar::afro:

UPDATE3: Thanks to the moderators, here is my post in the X-Lab!