Lenovo ThinkPad Y580 Notebook

wilsoxu

9 posts in this topic

Hey community,

I've looked around and I have yet to see a Y580 ThinkPad topic. I've been having my eyes on this little guy and I'm wondering if it will work with hackintoshing? There's a great sale happening on Lenovo.. (not gonna link because I don't want to get banned just in case.. but google up Y580 sale if you're interested)

ANYWAY, here are the specs for this baby:

Intel Core i7-3610QM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200BGN

I think the graphics card is not compatible...?

Thanks,

Wilso

I cannot find anything about the Wireless Card so.. I guess it isn't compatible with hackintoshing.However,I've read that Mountain Lion supports to GT 6xxM and GTX 6xxM cards. They are referred as the "Kepler" cards .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just managed to install it using a USB drive, built with ###### + vanilla mountain lion install app. Disabled the nvidia graphics card from bios and all went fine(no bootloader flags required). Now comes the drivers/kext hunt. No sound, no wifi, bluetooth and many others. I will update my progress as i start fixing stuff.

I just managed to install it using a USB drive, built with ###### + vanilla mountain lion install app. Disabled the nvidia graphics card from bios and all went fine(no bootloader flags required). Now comes the drivers/kext hunt. No sound, no wifi, bluetooth and many others. I will update my progress as i start fixing stuff.

Awesome, I will eagerly check this thread every day. :)

Can I ask what the "#####" refers to?

Yes, I didn't knew there was a beast not allowed here. It's been a while since I've been here. I gave up until I find a supported small external wifi card and until there's any progress on the 660m. I need to get up to speed on the newer methods of getting hardware to work in osx. Back in the day all was done by kexts now you got dsdts and efi strings and what not.

• 2 months later...

I think he is talking about a beast that isn't allowed here. If you get the 660M card working, please let me know. Also got in on the deal, would love to run OSX on this thing.

I got the 640M LE working with the NVIDIA kexts from the 10.8.2 update for late 2012 iMac/MacBook 13" retina. This is in Y480. I am not certain the card is actually used but I can turn on switchable graphics in Bios without KPs during the load of the NVIDIA kexts. Maybe this can work for 660M as well.

• 6 months later...

Hello, everyone, I can see that the topic about the having a SL/ML on Lenovo y580 is not frequently visited and/or has a lot of valuable information, however I just decided to drop off a line or two to let everybody having/owning such a beast that Mountain lion works almost flawlessly after a few tweaks. I haven't finished my setup yet, however I can tell that the sound and full QE/Cl is working on the built in Intel HD4000 video with fully recognized 512MB video ram using either a dsdt.aml patch or smbios.plist. What is not working for me yet is the sound as I am unable to compile the dsdt.aml myself as I have an error that I am unable to fix so far, so the option of compiling is not available, however I have found a group of people in another forum where they have managed so far to get the following items working:

1. CPU Power management - 100%

2. Video card - Intel 4000 works perfectly, Nvidia GTX660m - not yet up until now, however the new 27' iMac has a similar or the same video card so it will be just a matter of time.

3. Video camera - working flawlessly out of the box

4. USB - all usb's would work with a kext install, however the USB 3.0 so far works as 2.0 (not a big deal as I do not care that much of the speed as far as all the ports are working fine under 2.0)

5. Sound - that is where I have to patch my dsdt.aml as otherwise I will end up using VoodooHDA (latest version I guess is 2.73) and it works fine, however the sound is not that pure so dsdt.aml is the better option for me and in case I cannot manage that I will still look up for a way to compile it but until then I will have to use the voodoo sound.

6. Built microphone - working after the proper compiling of dsdt.aml, however I could not manage to use the microphone with VoodooHDA so it might be me, or the software (I guess the first is more probable ;) )

7. Sleep - working just fine with some kext installs and/or dsdt compiling (again ?!?)

8. Ethernet - working after installing of the appropriate kext

9. Wireless (Intel chipset) - 100% not working and I doubt it will ever do, so lots of people are changing the wireless card to some cheap Atheros chipsets that should either work out of the box or start working after a simple pkg/kext install. In order to change the wireless adapter as far as I understood it is mandatory to update your BIOS to 2.06 with unlocked whitelist of the allowed wireless cards as otherwise you will end up with an error (wireless card not allowed/recognized). My solution I think works better (at least I do not have to flash my BIOS and deal with such sensitive stuff) is to have a tiny Belkin N300 mini wireless adapter that would cost about 10-20$, but is working perfectly just with a simple pkg that is provided in Internet and not hard to find.

So if anybody have anything to add to it, ask or something, lets bring this topic back to life and have the IdeaPad y580 scored as flawless ****-Intosh.

Of course it is always better to spend a few bucks but to buy the official Mountain Lion Install app directly from the App Store. At least that is what I did and for now 10.8.3 is working perfectly fine on my home pc, and it will be soon fully operational on my notebook too. I should say that I have lots of experience with Ubuntu and tons of other Linux distros as well as with all Windows versions so comparing Mac to any of those - well Mac has lots of benefits but it is still on its way to the top. At least one thing is for sure - we all have another option to choose, so you know what I choose so far even after being one of the first to buy Windows 8 Pro ;)