Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

Another Success on the AMD Athlon x2 with the Final Release from the App Store 

Same Bootflags as before

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.03.21 AM.png

It's GM version. Could you try to boot with the official App Store version of Mavericks? Becaus I can't, it's not working for me :(

this is the version downloaded from the App Store i installed DP1 then went to the App Store and Downloaded mavericks, from there i mounted ESD dmg and then OSX Base System dmg, Restored it to usb, went into the files and deleted the symlink to packages and copied the folder from the ESD dmg, copied the extra folder i found somewhere here in the posts, installed Chameleon to usb and booted with amd_kernel npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1 -v and i was ready to go 

this is the version downloaded from the App Store i installed DP1 then went to the App Store and Downloaded mavericks, from there i mounted ESD dmg and then OSX Base System dmg, Restored it to usb, went into the files and deleted the symlink to packages and copied the folder from the ESD dmg, copied the extra folder i found somewhere here in the posts, installed Chameleon to usb and booted with amd_kernel npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1 -v and i was ready to go 

I don't understand nothing now :( Could give me the kernel you use? So this is matter to install DP1 first and then download official release from App Store and boot? In my case, it's not working :moil:

attachicon.gifamd_kernel.zip

Here is the kernel i use although you will find it a few posts back though, keep in mind to boot with -cpufamily PCIRootUID=1

Thanks. I booted with arch=x86_64 -v -f -cpufamily PCIRootUID=1 USBBusFix=Yes npci=0x2000 and stops at the same place like the others. Maybe I try npci=0x3000 and without arch=x86_64. I will post results later.

Ok another Update, Mavericks working with AMD Kernel and ATI Graphics without Atifacts

post-983553-0-69694200-1383049045_thumb.png

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> npci=0x2000 -v -cpufamily PCIRootUID=1 AtiConfig=Cedar AtiPorts=3</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>
  • Like 1

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>10/12/2012</string>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>iMac</string>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac13,2</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>XXXXXXXXXXXX</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Well, instant reboot using Kevin's method with a manually created Mavericks installer. :)

Perhaps we'll need an old-CPU-specific kernel.

All the best!

i had the same until i added this extra folder, try it and good luckExtra.zip

Gonna make a Video of my process to create the installer

Great news for Atom users!

I've been trying to run Mavericks on my 1201n since it was seeded as a preview, with no success: the kernel patcher module from Chameleon clearly needs to be updated, and since it's not developed by the Chameleon team itself, but by a third party development company (meklort's xZenue LCC), we haven't yet any ETA for this update. I tried the old kernel patcher from meklort, but also met with no success (which was expected, since it shares the same code with the kernel patcher module). So we've been stuck with Mountain Lion for quite a while.

You all know that one of our leading developers, Andy Vandjick, doesn't have an AMD machine, so he has been trying to make his patches as much CPU-agnostic as possible, and indeed his old AMD kernels for Mountain Lion and  Snow Leopard also included support for legacy Intel hardware. Last week, he adapted his patch set for Mavericks, and since he didn't install the necessary new Xcode, i have to build the binaries for him. The resultant kernel didn't work, but brought relevant insights for the current beta kernels for AMD.

Well, knowing Andy's history of enabling legacy Intel support for his kernels, and also knowing he has been using essentially the same base patch set across OSX iterations, i decided to experiment with his kernel, even a little skeptical - since it didn't met its goals, that is, boot on AMD. Then, today, for my greatest surprise, after a few attempts, it worked, and i manage to install mavericks on my 1201n!

I posted here first to acknowledge all respect for Andy's work (and all people whose work was incorporated by Andy to his patch set, namely Sinetek, Bronzovka, RAWx86, Nawcom and the Voodoo team), and also because it's not really off topic, since all patched kernels, since of the beginning of OSX86, are also expected to support legacy Intel hardware.

All the best!

• Like 4

i had the same until i added this extra folder, try it and good luckattachicon.gifExtra.zip

Gonna make a Video of my process to create the installer

If you have any ideas how to create an installer from SL 10.6.8 I will be appreciate. Because I can't do it manually or even with some apps. Only myhack allows me to create Mavericks USB Installer on 10.6.8 :(

If you have any idea how to create an installer from SL 10.6.8 I will be appreciate. Because I can't do it manually or even with some apps. Only myhack allows me to create Mavericks USB Installer on 10.6.8 :(

If you have the Mavericks installer App make sure you can see hidden files, then rightclick the file, show package contents, go to Contents/SharedSupport and mount the InstallESD.dmg in there you will see BaseSystem.dmg, mount it also and restore it to usb using Disk Utility, then from InstallESD you copy the Packages folder your desktop . the rest is explained here

• Like 3

There must be definitely a fundamental difference between the Athlon II x2 340 and the lower-end models: no matter what I try, the result is an instant reboot after all kexts are loaded.

i have the instant reboot with sineteks kernel, just coincidence?, also thunderbolt doesnt seem to upgrade for me using the mac updater, on my girlfriends i7 machine it worked without issues, so i assume its something AMD related on that side

I'm confused: why should you worry about Thunderbolt on an AMD machine?

I am not worrying about it, just quite confusing when the Appstore constantly has the "1" next to it lol