ASUS P5L-VM 1394 for OSX?

waire

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, greetings to everyone around here.

I did a couple of searches here and on google, but couldn't find any info about the MB in the topic title.

I'm planning on building an osx system mainly for audio applications, and found this conroe-enabled board, it has (from Asus's site):

- Intel 945G chipset

- Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU

- Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo Ready

- Dual-Core CPU Support

- Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Graphics

- Dual channel DDR2 (667)

- IEEE 1394a

link: http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmen...2=11&l3=194

It's all looking really compatible, I'm only worried about the VIA 6308 firewire solution - I'd use an external fw audio device.

The lan nic is some Attansic chip, that may not work, but I could throw in a pci card.

Anyone with some experience with this board?

Thanks much.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, greetings to everyone around here.

I did a couple of searches here and on google, but couldn't find any info about the MB in the topic title.

I'm planning on building an osx system mainly for audio applications, and found this conroe-enabled board, it has (from Asus's site):

- Intel 945G chipset

- Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU

- Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo Ready

- Dual-Core CPU Support

- Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Graphics

- Dual channel DDR2 (667)

- IEEE 1394a

link: http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmen...2=11&l3=194

It's all looking really compatible, I'm only worried about the VIA 6308 firewire solution - I'd use an external fw audio device.

The lan nic is some Attansic chip, that may not work, but I could throw in a pci card.

Anyone with some experience with this board?

Thanks much.

I have the board previous to this model that doesn't have the Dual-Core support or the Firewire, but the audio chipset works and a firewire add-on card does work. So if you get the board, you aren't stuck really. I have heard a few people loving that new board, but I can only comment on the older model.

A board previous to this model that doesn't have the Dual-Core support or the Firewire: which mobo was this?

I have the board previous to this model that doesn't have the Dual-Core support or the Firewire, but the audio chipset works and a firewire add-on card does work. So if you get the board, you aren't stuck really. I have heard a few people loving that new board, but I can only comment on the older model.

A board previous to this model that doesn't have the Dual-Core support or the Firewire: which mobo was this?

I guess it's the P5LD2-VM, in his signature. :)

I've got the non-1394 version rev 2.0 with a Firewire add-in card. It uses the same VIA chip that the board you liked to does, and I'm running a ProSonus Firebox off of it without any problems. Go for it.

Very nice, thank you! :)

That sounds pretty good. Do you know whether the Attansic NIC works under OSX? Thanks for your time.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to built a system based on this board...I have about 20 hours in to it thus far and can't get it to boot after install. Here's what I have:

Asus P5l-VM 1394

Core 2 Duo 6400

Seagate 320 Gb Drive

Pioneer 110D

2x1Gb SuperTalent PC6400 DDR2 800 (4-4-3-8)

Saphire X1600 Pro 512Mb

I have nearly the same hardware (albeit MB and CPU) in two other machines, which work flawlessly.

Here's where I get hung up -- install goes brilliantly smoooth, and very! fast. Then, on the reboot right after the install, I get the screen that shows the 10 million flahsing lines of text (stuff loading after install), the screen goes blank, and then computer reboots.

Here's what I've tried:

-removed the video card and used the built in 950 intel (same thing).

-fiddled with the bios to set everything for the slowest/safest setting (same thing).

-swapped out memory (same thing).

-swapped out hard drive (same thing).

++The only thing I haven't yet tried is disabling the 1394 and Ethernet Lan in the BIOS -- I am trying this now and will post results.

++If the above doesnt' work, I will try making a disk image from one of my other working 945G machines, and put the image onto the hard disk that will go in to this new machine.

I will post my results after I try the "++" above.

----------------

Question:

----------------

Has ANYONE gotten this board to work? The reason why I went with this one is three-fold:

Core 2 Duo support

1394 Firewire

Built in 950 graphics controller.

My other option was the ASrock 945G DVI, but it has no firewire...I need firewire, and if I buy an external card, the external cards don't have the same motherboard-style connectors on them to connect to the Firewire port on the Case...unless there is another wayt to connect an add-in Firewire card to one of those built in ports on a case?

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

/mdg

• 2 weeks later...

I get the system to do install (10.4.6) no problem but then on reboot, and thereafter, it starts loading and then reboots after 5 seconds.

Someone said to try 10.4.7 JaS install disk. Is that what you used?

• 1 month later...
The P5L-VM 1394 works fine except for the attansic ethernet flake, so I got a USB wireless card to go with it. More importantly to the OP, firewire works out of the box. See sig:

Attansic seems to be looking for a software developer who knows something about writing linux drivers. Maybe they'll release a linux driver sometime later this year. But would that driver help running OSX86?

http://www.attansic.com/english/job/index.html

Software Engineer

* familiar with C/C++, understand MASM assembler

* experience with windows or Linux driver programming, preferably experience with network driver

* familiar with STP/RSTP/SNMP switch protocols is a plus

* Team player, quick learning, self - motivated and hardworking

* bachelor degree or above

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

subj http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=G0BQ4fIXoM1P38TZ

used iDeneb 1.4 obviously with ICHx fix, ALC883 (default is front headphones) and AttansicL1 rock-solid kexts

even VIA Firewire worked (used for sometime as network interface)

especialy when OSX was installed after windows bootup

to keep it working avoid complete power-offs :\

but question is what the hack is going on with some USB ports after installation,

those ports what under Attansic L1 RJ45 port ?! they become sorta disabled after installation ...

whats the correct bios settings for this mobo?! ...

its AMI one, here shots of it http://yfrog.com/0yasusp5lvm1394bios12jx

latest bios version 1003 exists as DSDT Fixed

(if you have to boot Leopard with CPUS=1 Flag every time)

http://www.osxcores.site50.net/product-1.htm

who got it perfect working,

please tell what patches\fixes used for usb,

sleep and even sometimes for proper shutdown ... lol

PS: int. GMA950 works without of any kexts with QE

but without of sleep, sleep worked with PCI-E graphic card