Make ASUS EAH6850 100% work!

shiecldk

42 posts in this topic

Hi, Hard223

I finally have enough money to buy a second 6850.

But I'm thinking what if I purchase a 6870 instead.

Then I would get 6850+6780 crossfire under Windows and 6870 performance under OS X.

I would like to know if I would get into trouble with two different ATI 6XXX graphic cards under OS X.

It seems that the hex-edit in ATI6000Controller.kext can only work for the same card, isn't it?

PS. The Hex code still can't work very perfect. Sometime the screen(mouse) LAG.

I'm still testing the best Hex code for the card.

Hi shiecldk,

I was thinking the screenshot it was from your system,I understand you know :)

You must test your hdmi output with a monitor with hdmi audio support (for your 889 you must have a AppleHDA mod and the dsdt injection, you can check this post).

About the dual graphics cards, when you have the second card, we can try to create a new DSDT injection.

Regards,

Hard

@Hard233

I've tried to install my current 6850 on the other PCI-e x16 slot (PEX4) on my motherboard today. (only 1 graphic card on board)

Then here comes some serious problem:

1. DVD player, the application, can't work

2. My screen sometimes has a little LAG.

3. In "system info", the card is recognized as "ATI Radeon HD 6XXX 1024 MB", even I added DSDT on PEX4

4. Sometimes it gets kernel-panic with "RealtekRTL81xx.kext" when booting.

Even though I injected both yours and mine DSDT code, or use GraphicesEnabler=Yes, all four issues above still exist. Do you have any idea??? :wallbash:

I'm using the patched ATI6000controller.kext. The only good news is that QE/CI can work.

PS. I'm worry whether the graphic card on the first slot can work perfectly when I have 2 cards. XD

If your card is showing as ATI Radeon HD 6XXX 1024 MB" in the sys profiler it's probably because you're loading the default framebuffer the RadeonFramebuffer.

Go here in sys prof and see what it displays for you.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-30%20at%201.38.50%20AM.png

@Hard233

I've tried to install my current 6850 on the other PCI-e x16 slot (PEX4) on my motherboard today. (only 1 graphic card on board)

Then here comes some serious problem:

1. DVD player, the application, can't work

2. My screen sometimes has a little LAG.

3. In "system info", the card is recognized as "ATI Radeon HD 6XXX 1024 MB", even I added DSDT on PEX4

4. Sometimes it gets kernel-panic with "RealtekRTL81xx.kext" when booting.

Even though I injected both yours and mine DSDT code, or use GraphicesEnabler=Yes, all four issues above still exist. Do you have any idea??? :wallbash:

I'm using the patched ATI6000controller.kext. The only good news is that QE/CI can work.

PS. I'm worry whether the graphic card on the first slot can work perfectly when I have 2 cards. XD

Hi shiecldk, TH3L4UGH1NGM4N,

Yes, your problem is the FrameBuffer injection. If you are using the second PCI-E and DSDT injection. You must use IOREG in order to find the PCI-E 2 address and add the DSDT injection for this second slot.

About use two different ATI models, we can use two different "FrameBuffer" for each ATI card, patching the KEXT for this two FrameBuffers and use DSDT injection also using different FrameBuffers, one for the first one (maybe the same Ducked), and another for the second one. If you send me your ioreg and your DSDT.aml file and ATI Controller KEXT, I can try to modify your DSDT and create a new KEXT file... ;)

Regards,

Hard

Hi, TH3L4UGH1NGM4N & Hard233

Thank you very much for helping me!!!!!!

I would like to try two cards on my hackintosh, however, it seems it's impossible for me to purchase another 6850.

I can't find any 6850 in Taiwan now, there is no shop selling it. :wallbash:

I'm pretty sorry that it seems I was wasting your time....

Regards,

shiecldk

• Like 1

You're welcome and it wasn't a waste time always glad to help out. You can check ebay for a 6850 they have them for a decent price on there for a used one I netted myself a nice lightly used 6870 from there and was def worth it.

• 5 months later...

hey guys,

i know this is a pretty old thread, but i was wondering if one of you guys could point me in the right direction. i have my setup working for quite a while now and i never had any problems. i'm using duckweed as aticonfig.. dvd player and everything is working fine (singlescreen). today i got a second screen, which also uses dvi, and guess what, it doesn't work ;)

so i've read about patching the framebuffer to use the right connecctor (right?) but i don't know how it's actually done. i know my way around the os and terminal, i just need said point in the right direction ;)

i'm using an asus eah 6850, and running 10.7.3.

edit: i just got it working. i used op's ATI6000Controller.kext and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, AtiConfig=Duckweed, AtiPorts=4. everything works fine now (dvd player, steam) on both displays. thank you so much! :)

hey guys,

i know this is a pretty old thread, but i was wondering if one of you guys could point me in the right direction. i have my setup working for quite a while now and i never had any problems. i'm using duckweed as aticonfig.. dvd player and everything is working fine (singlescreen). today i got a second screen, which also uses dvi, and guess what, it doesn't work ;)

so i've read about patching the framebuffer to use the right connecctor (right?) but i don't know how it's actually done. i know my way around the os and terminal, i just need said point in the right direction ;)

i'm using an asus eah 6850, and running 10.7.3.

edit: i just got it working. i used op's ATI6000Controller.kext and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, AtiConfig=Duckweed, AtiPorts=4. everything works fine now (dvd player, steam) on both displays. thank you so much! :)

You're welcome. :)

If you like, could you give this new framebuffer a try? Because I don't have second monitor to test with.

I think this might works better than the one in first post.

00 04 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 01 00 00 12 04 04 01
00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 22 05 05 04
04 00 00 00 14 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 03 05
00 02 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 02 06 06

This driver is patched from OS X 10.8.2 (Build 12C3006):

ATI6000Controller.kext.zip

PS. I deleted the ATI6000Controller from 10.7.3 by accident. Could you upload it for me? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Good luck, shiecldk.

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N: I've noticed that the perl script doesn't contain the offset address but it has 2 hex strings, the first string has to be found in the kext and replaced with the second string, it's correct? How little I know about this¡

Hey miliuco,

I updated the 6850 personality in the first post. Would you like to give it a try? :)

(Fixed mouse lag problem.)

• 3 weeks later...

My knowledge of DSDT is VERY limited to what I have done in the past with Nvidia cards. After failing at getting the 2nd DVI port working, I thought I would try your solution. (the 6000 controller kext) It worked without any DSDT edits on my UEFI m/board. I thought I would still give the DSDT thing a shot anyway. I compiled and patched it without errors (just warnings). :thumbsup_anim: and used the edits in your latest update. Only thing is, my card is now seen as ATY,Duckweed instead of AMD Radeon HD 6850 which I was getting using Rampagedev's guide. (I have the same ASUS EAH6850 card). Is it an error on my side? Am I missing something? As you can see from the screenshot, OS X is ignoring the Model name completely. post-399780-0-60084300-1364843149_thumb.jpg

My knowledge of DSDT is VERY limited to what I have done in the past with Nvidia cards. After failing at getting the 2nd DVI port working, I thought I would try your solution. (the 6000 controller kext) It worked without any DSDT edits on my UEFI m/board. I thought I would still give the DSDT thing a shot anyway. I compiled and patched it without errors (just warnings). :thumbsup_anim: and used the edits in your latest update. Only thing is, my card is now seen as ATY,Duckweed instead of AMD Radeon HD 6850 which I was getting using Rampagedev's guide. (I have the same ASUS EAH6850 card). Is it an error on my side? Am I missing something? As you can see from the screenshot, OS X is ignoring the Model name completely. post-399780-0-60084300-1364843149_thumb.jpg

I made one little mistake in the DSDT code.

I've updated the code in the first post now. Try to replace your DSDT code.

@shiecldk... Thanks for that. I tried to fix it myself and ended up with a list of warnings. The update you posted works perfectly. My Oceanwave score used to average 280 fps, so there is a performance increase too.

post-399780-0-62550700-1365007780_thumb.jpg

@shiecldk... Thanks for that. I tried to fix it myself and ended up with a list of warnings. The update you posted works perfectly. My Oceanwave score used to average 280 fps, so there is a performance increase too.

Good to see you've got it work. :)

I just noticed an issue recently. Is the Link Speed of your 6850 showed as 2.5 GT/s or 5.0 GT/s?

Don't know why mine is 2.5 GT/s (the speed of PCI-E 1.0):

FkXqp2W.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...