Computer Won't Turn On (No Power/Flashing Lights At All)

LooN3y

2 posts in this topic

sorry didnt know where to post this

when i woke up today before work, i noticed my desktop had absolutely no power.

none of the flashing lights that are usually on when it's on stand by or sleep. i know its not the power outlet because the screen and couple other things are connected to the same power strip and it gets power.

what's the problem? did my computer short circuit? if so how hard is it to replace the power supply? it's and acer desktop from like 05 or somewhere around that time. would it be tedious to find a power supply that is compatible with it?

if i can't fix it or get it to work, would the short circuit damage the hard drive?

all in all its kind of a good thing, because i've been wanting a new gaming desktop (either custom built or alienware/genisis). but thats a good deal of money, i rather just have a quick fix and get a new desktop later, because i need my desktop, i can't stand just using a note book all day, although i love my 13" macbook pro.

• 3 months later...

It happened to me once with a brand new computer ... turned out the powersupply was to weak to handle the draw from the graphics card, replaced the sucker with a stronger one of a good brand name and it's been working ever since just fine. If you are lucky - it's the same problem on your end - if you are unfortunate and had a {censored}tier power supply than the one I had it might have blown some caps on ur mainboard - which you normally would be able to see by visual inspection ... loot at your mainboard and see if you can see any capacitors (little black or brown cylindric looking things) where the top looks like it has been bent outward .... if the top is flat/even ... u should be fine by just getting a new power supply.