Will not boot after install AMD 10.6 retail

35 posts in this topic

I recently installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail on my AMD desktop via Nawcom's ModCd. To install I needed to use the boot flags:

rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel cpus=1 busratio=18 maxmem=2048 arch=i386 -v -f

This was the only form of me getting to install it. It installed with no problems. I chose the options to installed the Legacy Kernel, AppleATIATA, and VoodoHDA.

The thing is when I attempt to boot up with the flags I used on the install it gives me a kernel panic. I tried using USBFix=yes and USBLegacyOff=Yes and it still does not boot up.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I can post pictures if needed to see the exact error.

What is your chipset? VIA, nForce, SIS, etc?

Did you try using ModCD to reboot using verbose mode only?

Have you reached the desk-top after installation or are you having problems booting for the first time?

Put your rig specs in your sig and some of the pros here will give you some help.

• 2 weeks later...

What is your chipset? VIA, nForce, SIS, etc?

Did you try using ModCD to reboot using verbose mode only?

Have you reached the desk-top after installation or are you having problems booting for the first time?

Put your rig specs in your sig and some of the pros here will give you some help.

Cpu:AMD FX4100 Zambezi 3.1Ghz

RAM:8GB GSkill f3 rip jaw

Mobo:ASUS M5A97 Motherboard

Video Card: HIS ATI Radeon HD 6850

I have not reached the desktop this is my first time trying to boot. just using verbose mode does nothing for me.

A picture might help figure out what is causing the panic.

What occurs when I use:rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel cpus=1 busratio=18 maxmem=2048 arch=i386 -v -f

http://i.imgur.com/OZ3EJ.jpg

What occurs when I use:legacy_kernel cpus=1 busratio=18 maxmem=2048 arch=i386 -v -f

http://i.imgur.com/ZZwoa.jpg

if you installed with the modbin_kernel, try to boot up using the modbin_kernel not the legacy_kernel

That's what I have been trying to do and it does not work. I tried them both.

Don't use the legacy kernel, use the modbin kernel. It is trying to boot but has a kernel panic on the SleepEnabler kext.

Try to boot with rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel cpus=1 busratio=18 maxmem=2048 arch=i386 -v -s

If successful, it won't boot to the Desktop, it will be a text interface but it will take you to a command line so we can try to remove that SleepEnabler.kext.

Don't use the legacy kernel, use the modbin kernel. It is trying to boot but has a kernel panic on the SleepEnabler kext.

Try to boot with rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel cpus=1 busratio=18 maxmem=2048 arch=i386 -v -s

If successful, it won't boot to the Desktop, it will be a text interface but it will take you to a command line so we can try to remove that SleepEnabler.kext.

The flags did not work. I can access the files through vmware if I need to edit a kext or something.

The picture still shows SleepEnabler is installed. Look for it in /Extra/Extensions and in /System/Library/Extensions and remove it.

Edit: I opened Mod CD and it installs SleepEnabler.kext in /Extra/Extensions. If the file /Extra/Extensions.mkext exists, delete it too.

The picture still shows SleepEnabler is installed. Look for it in /Extra/Extensions and in /System/Library/Extensions and remove it.

Edit: I opened Mod CD and it installs SleepEnabler.kext in /Extra/Extensions. If the file /Extra/Extensions.mkext exists, delete it too.

Yeah looks like there was one left in /System/Library/Extensions and I deleted it and attempted to boot again. It got further than what it was but i stops here: http://i.imgur.com/3uI8h.jpg

I'm not really sure why it is hanging. There are USB errors, but I've seen those before. There are also complaints about the Ethernet. Nawcom installs a whole bunch of ethernet drivers and maybe one is causing the problem. So, I recommend removing /Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext. No guarantees.

I have the same chip and a newer mobo but what I had to do was do the Retail install, with Nawcom cd. Only things I installed was the ViaATA chipset. Then b4 the installer closes, I open terminal and copy over the *ATA* from the retail install and then I can boot, only way I have found. and it works everytime.

I have the same chip and a newer mobo but what I had to do was do the Retail install, with Nawcom cd. Only things I installed was the ViaATA chipset. Then b4 the installer closes, I open terminal and copy over the *ATA* from the retail install and then I can boot, only way I have found. and it works everytime.

Im going to try this.

What would be the commands to copy over the ATA from the retail?

I'm not really sure why it is hanging. There are USB errors, but I've seen those before. There are also complaints about the Ethernet. Nawcom installs a whole bunch of ethernet drivers and maybe one is causing the problem. So, I recommend removing /Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext. No guarantees.

I tried and still a no go.

cp -pr /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA* /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions/  (Snow is the name of the install disk and MAC is the name of my HDD)
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*
chmod -R 775 /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*
rm -rf /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions.*

cp -pr /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA* /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions/  (Snow is the name of the install disk and MAC is the name of my HDD)
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*
chmod -R 775 /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*
rm -rf /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions.*

Sorry about the late response I've been kind of busy. Just to clarify is the *ATA* the IOATAFamily.kext?

yes it just *ATA* if you copy those codes and replace snow and mac with the names of your install disc and hdd it will copy the *ATA* from the install dvd/usb to your HDD and then make it runnable.

PS. It is case sensitive. if you are getting file not found, check for capitals. I really notice this when I have to copy anything from the Desktop or Downloads. Will not find file if I do not have the capital letter in there. and the *ATA* is exactly like that with both **

yes it just *ATA* if you copy those codes and replace snow and mac with the names of your install disc and hdd it will copy the *ATA* from the install dvd/usb to your HDD and then make it runnable.

PS. It is case sensitive. if you are getting file not found, check for capitals. I really notice this when I have to copy anything from the Desktop or Downloads. Will not find file if I do not have the capital letter in there. and the *ATA* is exactly like that with both **

I want to apologize for such a late response. I just tried it and apparently i needed some space in the install disk name. Everything worked! THANK YOU so much! I can finally boot into the Mac os. Now I dont know what to do though. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how i can get everything set up correctly?