Will not boot after install AMD 10.6 retail

35 posts in this topic

google your video card. I had to flash my gpu to a 5770 so I could get the qe/ci working. and with the modbin kernel you can update to 10.6.8 just you only have 32 bit support.

And what seemed to be the safest way, but it took a little longer, was making 2 partitions for mac and have a working copy on each, that way you can experiment with one and still have a working copy if you need to fix permissions, change kexts, etc. and when you get one working instead of setting the other up again just use a program like super duper to copy it.

I'm not sure what you mean, I don't think the kernel has anything to do with the dual booting, you just gotta make sure you set it up so booting off the HDD doesn't try to load legacy kernel or mach kernel, you have to change the string to modbin kernel and move the modbin off the cd to the hdd (that's what I had to do just to get mac to boot off the HDD)

I'm not sure what you mean, I don't think the kernel has anything to do with the dual booting, you just gotta make sure you set it up so booting off the HDD doesn't try to load legacy kernel or mach kernel, you have to change the string to modbin kernel and move the modbin off the cd to the hdd (that's what I had to do just to get mac to boot off the HDD)

Sorry I worded that weird but that's exactly the answer I was looking for thank you! I looked up the kext and things I needed. What is bothering me is how you flashed your video card because I don't see how you would do it.Also what is the safest way to update?

well the update was a PITA. I had the 2 installs so I updated 1 of them with the software update. DID NOT INSTALL LEGACY KERNEL.PKG. Leave it alone. had to fix the PCI configuration error and use the iousbfamily and massstorage.kext from 10.6.4 (my good install, or search the net for ones) and the update worked, I just did a google search of my video card with osx and it came up with flashing it is the only successful way to get qe/ci on my graphics card, just google "radeon 6850 qe/ci osx" see what you can find.

well the update was a PITA. I had the 2 installs so I updated 1 of them with the software update. DID NOT INSTALL LEGACY KERNEL.PKG. Leave it alone. had to fix the PCI configuration error and use the iousbfamily and massstorage.kext from 10.6.4 (my good install, or search the net for ones) and the update worked, I just did a google search of my video card with osx and it came up with flashing it is the only successful way to get qe/ci on my graphics card, just google "radeon 6850 qe/ci osx" see what you can find.

How did you fix the PCI error (im getting it after updating)?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm stuck exactly at the same stage as this pic http://i.imgur.com/3uI8h.jpg

I tried copying over *ATA* mentioned earlier in this thread, the code didn't work, ended up copying 3 files, which were already in destination folder, so they were not copied.

I also tried to disable all USB support from mobo BIOS then I disabled everything (Ethernet & Audio)

I have exactly the same mobo & processor:

MotherBoard: ASUS M5A97

uP: AMD FX4100 @ 3.6GHz

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600

Any help would be much appreciated.. =)

I'm stuck exactly at the same stage as this pic http://i.imgur.com/3uI8h.jpg

I tried copying over *ATA* mentioned earlier in this thread, the code didn't work, ended up copying 3 files, which were already in destination folder, so they were not copied.

I also tried to disable all USB support from mobo BIOS then I disabled everything (Ethernet & Audio)

I have exactly the same mobo & processor:

MotherBoard: ASUS M5A97

uP: AMD FX4100 @ 3.6GHz

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600

Any help would be much appreciated.. =)

Hi, I am truly sorry about not posting earlier. I have been extremely busy lately. To get it successfully running you need to do the *ATA* thing. Make sure you are doing this correctly because typing in one thing wrong will stop it from working. I have installed snow leopard 10.6.3 retail multiple times with this method. Its the only way that works for me. Its like this just replace HDD with the name of the partition:

cp -pr /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA* /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*

chmod -R 775 /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/*ATA*

rm -rf /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions.*

make sure its all the same.

i think it was the iopci kext that I changed. Goggle it and you can find the kexts from the early 10.6.3/4 if you don't have a second partition.

So I made two partitions and have tried to update to 10.6.8 on the sole purpose that it might recognize my video card. On one partition I updated it successfully to 10.6.4 and the other i tried to update to 10.6.8 but that failed. I have tried replacing the iopci files from 10.6.3/4 to the 10.6.8 partition due to the pci error yet it still pops up. Any ideas on what i can do to successfully update to 10.6.8?