upgrade to lion

kratossam

28 posts in this topic

I searched the forum but couldn't find it. Has anyone here upgraded their snow leopard hackintosh to lion hackintosh. If yes can you please post the procedure?

Thanks

You can do it. I've never personally done it but it can be done.

That said, I wouldn't advise it. A clean install is always more perferable. I know that's not the answer you want to hear but it really is the best way to avoid seeing any abnormal behavior within the OS. Wish I could help more. Good luck. :)

Hey guys thank you so very much for a quick response. I am ready to do a fresh install, however, I don't want quad boot.. :P as I already have a win 7, leopard (on system HDD) and a snow leopard ( on an USB HDD). So, can I do something like - install lion and than uninstall snow leopard from the USB HDD? If yes than what's the safest way of doing that?

Thanks

Uninstall Snow Leopard? I don't think I am understanding the question here. Removing an install is as simple as erasing it, overwriting it with another OS or completely repartitioning the entire drive as long as there isn't another OS on there you don't mind losing.

To install Lion, in your case, if you have a second USB HDD free to use it'll go by quite smoothly. Just partition the USB drive as GUID and restore the BaseSystem.dmg of Lion (located on the InstallBSD.dmg from within the App Store app) to a USB storage device using Disk Utility. After the restore you will need to delete the symbolic link to Packages in /System/Installation on the newly restored USB and replace it with the actual Packages folder from on the InstallBSD.dmg. Simply copying it to that location will work fine. Then you need to be sure to copy the mach_kernel off the InstallBSD.dmg to your restored USB root. Lastly, you need to install Chameleon and any kexts, dsdts, etc on the drive and then you should be all good to go for booting and installing Lion to whatever drive you want, be it internal HDD or on a separate USB HDD like where you claim Snow Leopard is currently. Once Lion is booted up, you can repartition and remove SL prior to installing as long as you use another USB drive for the Lion install restore.

There are several other methods for installing Lion but i've always found the USB HDD/Thumbdrive method to be the easiest for all Mac OS installations. This method works for both real Macs and hacks alike. :)

hey gygabyte, thanks for your reply. And my apologizes for wrongly conveying my message. By uninstalling I actually meant what you interpreted - deleting the OS. Never mind I will just format that partition once lion is installed.

And yes m not using an AMD processor. If i would have I would not have been able to install leopard and snow leopard, right?... ;)

Anyways, thanks for your reply. will post as soon as I install lion...successfully.

hey gygabyte, thanks for the post and thanks to pien for his post - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263949&st=0.

I am able to install lion with help from you two. However, I have a question. As i have installed lion on an USB hdd so obviously chameleon is going to get installed there. however will my windows 7 open up when the hdd is not connected? If no than may I get names of windows 7 (64 bit) bootloaders which can detect mac os x to ( when usb is connected).

Chameleon can be installed anywhere you like and to any bootable device like a flash memory card, USB flash drive, CD or, god forbid, ZIP drive if that's your thing, it doesn't have to be installed the same drive that has OS X on it.

When the USB HDD is not connected Windows will boot normally - unless you've done something terribly wrong.

In this case I would install Chameleon to the USB drive - it doesn't make much sense to install it on your internal drive since you'll only want to use Chameleon when the USB drive is connected.

Your PC BIOS has its own boot menu that you can bring up by pressing some key during the POST. On my motherboard it's F8. When you want to run Lion, connect the USB HDD and press F8 during post and select to boot from USB. Set up Chameleon via /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist so that you don't have to press any keys or do anything else in order to boot OS X.

Hey gringo,

thanks for the reply I did the same thing and for now everything is working as you have mentioned - except one thing - my lion i getting stuck at : connect a keyboard " screen. I than even went into the Info.plist at the following location - System/library/coreservices/setup assistant.ap/contents from the terminal app of the installation USB and deleted these two lines.

<string>DeviceSection</string>

<string>KeyBoardTypeSection</string>

And also because of all these trial and error i messed up my snow leopard... :( ( i think it happened because i think i once ran the kext wizard from SL for lion and maybe i might have forgotten to change the location ).

SL show this error while booting in verbose -

USBMSC Identifier ( non - unique ) :

for this i went into the terminal app of the lion installation disk and went into the SL volume and tried updating the kext with the following command -

kextcache -system-caches

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

and also tried repairing the disk permissions from the disk utility app of the lion installation USB.

M in a real fix right now. I need to start either of these two or both of them so that i can start working on my iOS projects.

Is there any other method other than these?

Thanks.

looks like your keyboard is not usb type , if you have an usb keyboard connect to usb slot when lion asks for keyboard identification go through the process , enter all the info. to boot up into lion.

hey guys,

@gygabyte - no i havent used the usb flags of the chameleon boot loader. but when should i use it? while booting the lion for the first time or when booting installed lion from the USB flash drive ( installable lion ).

@both - Yes i did connect a USB keyboard too and tried. but than too no luck. I had the applePS2 in the extra folder and i copy pasted voodoops2 to the s/l/e from snow leopard ( when it was working ).

@bigben - The lion setup is not identifying either my laptop keyboard/trackpad or usb keyboard/mouse. thus m not able to pass through the connect keyboard screen.

Can it be that m keeping the respective kexts in wrong folder while making the bootable USB? If yes than which kext should I use for my below mentioned config and where should i keep while making the bootable USB?

the config -

ASUS g51VX - RX05

processor - core 2 duo 2.0 ghz

RAM - 4GB DDR2

motherboard - intel pm45

graphics card - nvidia gtx 260m 1 gb

altec lansing speakers with realtek drivers

thanks

Try using the USB flags in Chameleon's help like USBBusFix=Yes. Test it on either install.

About the kexts. Have you repaired permissions and/or rebuilt mkexts after your changes? You should probably try using the -f flag for Chameleon to make sure all kexts are being loaded at boot. Lion dropped kernel cache support so it should auto load all kexts by default but using -f will make sure it is.

hey guys, at last lion is installed. I used this method - http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256729

now I am trying to install the correct kexts. I hope it works after that.

however i have a question.

Which all things ( kexts and/or any other system files ) get affected if i update 10.7 to 10.7.2 and than to 10.7.3 and what should I do to keep everything in working condition. because i will really be needing the latest lion for my development purpose.

Try using the USB flags in Chameleon's help like USBBusFix=Yes. Test it on either install.

About the kexts. Have you repaired permissions and/or rebuilt mkexts after your changes? You should probably try using the -f flag for Chameleon to make sure all kexts are being loaded at boot. Lion dropped kernel cache support so it should auto load all kexts by default but using -f will make sure it is.

So can I set that chameleon option while installing chameleon or i will always have to boot my lion with -f ( i think that's single user mode, right)?

I think you mean while using Chameleon, not installing it but yes you just have to type in -f then press enter. I suggest using both the verbose flag and the force kext loading flag (which is what -f means). So you'll want to use -v -f to test. Single user mode is for diagnosing and fixing problems using terminal commands. For reference single user flag is -s.

I am not entirely sure what changes were made from 10.7 to current but you should be fine as long as you download and install using the combo update, not from software update.

okay everything is installed nicely. lion is detecting my graphics card also. However, I again messed it up... :P. now none of the keyboards are working - USB as well as laptop's. However, the USB mouse is working ( m able to move the mouse pointer but cannot click on anything - on the login page ) and yes no trackpad still. and yes webcam is also not working

the kexts which i included were these - VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg, AppleACPIPS2Nub file for keyboard and mouse. and i haven't deleted any other kext except AppleHDA from the S/L/E folder.

where can i have gone wrong?

Thanks.

guys, all done upgraded to 10.7.2. now my laptop keyboard and trackpad are also working. For now i think just Wi fi is not working. I mean it shows up in the system information ( about this mac ) section however, it does not show up in the system preferences.

any leads? any kexts?

Where did you put Voodoo & ACPIPS2Nub at? If you have them in E/E, you should try putting them inside the S/L/E folder and try booting again. Also, are you sure those kexts are 64-bit compatible and Lion friendly? If they aren't, that would explain why your trackpad/keyboard isn't working. I'm pretty sure you only need one of those kexts too. I think they both do the same thing so using them both might be causing your problems. Your USB problem is strange sounding. I think that system will need dsdt fixes to make them work properly, especially if you've tried all the chameleon usb flags without change in their operation.

hey gigabyte thanks a lot for the replies. highly appreciated.

the kexts and their locations are as follows

S/L/E - voodooHDA, voodoobattery, atherosL1Cethernet and appleacpipltform installed via kext wizard and removed applehda from the same location and rebuild cache for s/l/e via next wizard

E/E - AppleACPIPS2Nub, AsusHotKeys(thanks to pein), FakeSMC, intelcpumonitor, intelthermal, ionetworkingfamily, nullcpupowermanagement, voodoops2controller. copied them directly and than rebuilt caches via kext wizard ( only this folder).

used DSDT editor and patch file from olarila.com and pasted that new dsdt in Extra folder.

insatlled chameleon with following options checked - restart fix, power management ( PState and Cstate ) and graphics enabler.

things which are still giving problems are - shut down and restart, NO wifi ( though it's there in the system info of about this mac and also wifi signal on laptop starts when i switch it on ) is seen in the system preferences&--#62; network option, and also clock is messed up.

any kexts for wifi/airport??

Thanks once again for all the help.

I would suggest using the newest rev of Chameleon (if you're not using it already) and removing the restart fix in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Chameleon automatically tries to patch in it's own restart and shutdown fixes upon booting so there is no need for it to be in the plist. If that doesn't help shutdown/restart, then you'll either need to find one of the kext helpers or you should just apply a shutdown fix through dsdt.

For system info, I suggest creating and using a smbios.plist. A lot of people have had better performance and hardware stability while using one in Lion and SL. It's not guaranteed to fix anything but it is wise to fake your machine as a Mac, especially for Apple-related services like the App Store. There is a great, user-friendly utility created by janek202 called, Chameleon Wizard that should help you in creating/editing your plist files. It can also download the newest rev of Chameleon and create a standalone installer for you too, assuming you have internet access on your machine. You can get it here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257464

Tricking your wireless card into performing like an Airport is usually a very tricky matter. It usually has to be a compatible card and sometimes can be tricked into working via kext modifications or helpers. Usually though, most people try to fix it through dsdt if the card is compatible. You should search the forums about your card to see if anyone else has gotten it working.

• Like 1

hey thanks,

yes i think so m using the latest chameleon - it's Chameleon-2.1svn-r1897 than too i will download the chameleon wizard which u have suggested and will remove the restart fix when installing the new chameleon.

I have no problem with the system info ( except that there is no serial number ) - I have attached few screen shots of it. The problems which i have encountered till now are - NO wifi, NO track pad ( after upgrading to 10.7.2 ), NO card reader. if there are other things not working than i don't know as i haven't used them yet.

There is a smbios.plist file in the Extra folder though ( attached ). I took it from the Extra folder from this link - http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256729

though i don't know what to write in that plist file ( even if i wish to tweak it).

about the wireless card. I have attached the system info screenshot of it. It shall be great of you if you can figure out something from it. and about the dsdt as i said i created it using the patch from that site ( in my previous post ) and using dsdt editor and have kept the dsdt.aml in Extra folder.

Thanks

post-492925-0-27525100-1333088257_thumb.png

post-492925-0-09266900-1333088266_thumb.png

post-492925-0-43360000-1333088287_thumb.png

smbios.txt