Need help with Retail Snow Leopard

LightInDark

59 posts in this topic

I'll tell you this right now: the distro is only going to be a LOT more trouble! It will be SO much harder. Literally.

There is an AMD kernel, but it's quite buggy and still in experimental stages.

I would reinstall the retail with the ModCD, and then, if you can't boot (which you should if you are using a DVD), don't use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (more trouble is in there). Rather, install this package and see what happens.

I've installed charmeleon before, probably the same one you've linked it works and I can boot the only issue is that I can't get charmeleon to boot the correct settings and kexts, it boots EVERYTHING wrong and I mean it.. itunes,safari,settings,wifi and more do not boot with it so I have to use boot cd's and then everything will boot fine, but then of course graphics don't work with the boot cd.. also sound was issue that was strange, my audio was detected and slightly worked but i got a popping sound ever 1 second constantly on and it didn't play system sound very clearly.

When you boot from the HDD, type the following at the boot prompt:

legacy_kernel arch=i386

We may also have to run the and_isn_patcher...but everything should be patched from the installer.

I'll try this all and get back in probably about an hour most, since my windows is installed with my motherboard in IDE mode (which I regret not changing on my first boot of my computer.. wish I installed it in AHCI now since windows can be installed in both..)

Why can't Mac and Windows learn from Linux? ): which runs on both IDE and AHCI even after its installed!

Why can't Mac and Windows learn from Linux? ): which runs on both IDE and AHCI even after its installed!

Linux is trying to be able to run on the maximum configurations of hardware available. Windows SHOULD be trying to do the same. The Mac is a closed system. It is trying to run on a certain set of hardware sold by one company. By creating a Hackintosh, you are trying to run it on hardware for which it was not designed.

It also depends on how you think of it - Mac OS, like Linux, can run on both modes after installation as long as you have drivers for both modes.And, if you speak about real Macs, every system can be cloned and it will work on any other (compatible) Mac. Even with hacks it's true, you just have to do it right.

Well Mac do sell installation discs because they say "You can also install Mac OS X onto any Intel based computer" which again is a lie.. How many people use this site and can't get it to work on Intel? :P

Intel-based Mac. That's the catch. :) Also, most people with Intel get it to work fine (even old Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors).

Now it wont even boot at all ): it gets to the part where its loading the USB controller then it just shuts the computer down.. Using ModCD to boot into it, I've installed the latest Charmeleon 2.1 still nothing, gonna try installing an updated legacy kernel

Is there anyway to get Graphics when using ModCD?

Not while using the legacy kernel on the ModCD, which automatically blacklists the graphics drivers. Once you install a new legacy kernel, when you boot with the ModCD, type

legacy_kernel

and you should have graphics support (hopefully).

Could you take a video of that shutdown? I think I know a solution but I want to make sure.

Big news! Boot works perfectly now! not even sure why.. Just added -force64 and it worked.. why it didn't before I have no idea, I did install a few kexts so hopefully that was it, now its just the sound issue.. the popping in each speaker one after the other constantly, installed latest VoodooHDA but still nothing, my Audio is AC887 or something similar (nowhere tells me other than in operating systems but OSX was clean installed so no windows installed yet.)

Check out this thread. It's all about VoodooHDA issues. :)

-force64 enabled 64-bit userspace (a.k.a. 32-bit kernel and extensions but 64-bit apps and processes)

I installed a version that one guy said he had luck with, it worked better, now theres no crackling and it DOES play sound, but oh my is it so unhearable, feedback is insane, putting it to lowest settings in the midi makes you able to tell whats playing but not hear it.

Not sure how to get it working as I cannot identify my Audio, I've looked around but found nothing.. if anyone can help my MOBO is MSI 760GM-P23 FX AM3+

Again, the thread above describes half-volume fixes etc.

If you have any comprehension issues, let me know and I'll be happy to help. :)

What info.plist, what are you talking about? I don't see any mention of an info.plist anywhere in this thread.

my windows is installed with my motherboard in IDE mode (which I regret not changing on my first boot of my computer.. wish I installed it in AHCI now since windows can be installed in both..)

That shouldn't be a problem, it's easy to get Windows working in AHCI mode post-install. Use google to find out how. You change something in the registry, install the appropriate driver, then reboot and that's it.

Ahh thanks! It would help if it said that in the thread for newbies..

Oh well.. tried the solution it had for crackling sound.. had zero effect.. anyone else got some ideas? Would it be I have to find the right version of voodoohda? I have tried a lot already but had no success

Did you update the kext caches? When you edit a kext like that, you need to update kext caches or else the changes have no effect. The easiest way to do this is to simply run the program Kext Utility.

Ahh sorry I missed that, I updated to 10.6.8 now so I'll continue from here, also a side note, I can't get the App Store to login and apparently I need to have my ethernet detected my Mac but I don't know how to go about this, or even what make my Ethernet is, I think it's Realtek but I'm not sure..

If it's working now, why switch them? If ethernet showing as en1 is causing problem logging into app store(which can happen) then I'll be happy to tell how to switch them, but if it's working as you said, than no big problem, just cosmetic and best to leave well enough alone.