OpenGL Speed

mitch_de

12 posts in this topic

I see the same thing too.

With my GTX 480:

OpenCL test via Luxmark runs, but gives very low score.

OpenGL Extensions tests yield very low results (around 1500fps).

With my GTX 580:

OpenCL test via Luxmark, gives error that no OpenCL device has been detected.

OpenGL Extensions tests yield the same low results that the GTX 480 got.

Interestingly enough, CInebench yields better scores with both of the cards -- around 40-43 fps, but these are still lower than I got in Lion.

Thanks!

As always, different OpenGL speed test may give different results of speed diffs.

Depends which OpenGL funktions used and in detail how they are used (order of commands, OpenGL code which may not work any good since 10.8,....)

At least we see : OpenGL in deep (with OpenCL) has git much changes with 10.8 - maybe more than 10.6 > 10.7 - so i guess lots of Games / OpenGL apps need updates when the 10.8 gets final.

Lion and Mt Lion get similar Cinebench scores on my setup, around 59.50FPS. I'd say the score sways maybe half of a % in either direction when i run it, but the score is always similar.

I haven't seen any real difference in the OpenGL on Mt. Lion as opposed to Lion. I have an ATI card though where as it looks like you fellows have nVidia.

On a side note, World of Warcraft runs at a rock solid 60FPS (vsync on) now with Ultra settings. It used to center around the mid 50s. So something is running better, even if not by much.

For me, Cinebench in Mt Lion dropped to 27fps from 61fps in Lion. WoW is running identical; 60FPS Ultra 1920x1200 with vsync on.

Folks, remember, this is Developer's Preview 1!!! Don't expect anything to be optimized. It took Lion DP3 to catch up to SL's OpenGl performance. :P

For me, Cinebench in Mt Lion dropped to 27fps from 61fps in Lion. WoW is running identical; 60FPS Ultra 1920x1200 with vsync on.

Folks, remember, this is Developer's Preview 1!!! Don't expect anything to be optimized. It took Lion DP3 to catch up to SL's OpenGl performance. :P

Interesting, Is your speedstep working? and is your CPU over clocked? My FPS in Cinebench initially took a nosedive because my CPU's speedstep wasn't working and thus was not over clocked. Going form 4.5GHz to 3.5GHz was a pretty big difference benchmark wise. Once I got speedstep working it was back up to Lion levels of FPS.

I didn't test with that, but I tested with Cinebench and I saw a 5 point drop since Lion. ML scored a 27 fps, and Lion scored around 31.5 fps. Using a GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 RAM

I think it maybe the problem of the power management with nvidia videocards. I installed lion with dell m6600(i7 2820qm, hd5870m,),I tested with cinebench, it scrored 34 fps.

Interesting, Is your speedstep working? and is your CPU over clocked? My FPS in Cinebench initially took a nosedive because my CPU's speedstep wasn't working and thus was not over clocked. Going form 4.5GHz to 3.5GHz was a pretty big difference benchmark wise. Once I got speedstep working it was back up to Lion levels of FPS.

Hmmmm....there was an error in post relating to SS....I removed my OC for MtLion because I assumed SS (amongst others) would be an issue with an OC'd cpu. I am using a DSDT rather than NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, and in regards to performance, it's not an issue for me at the moment, as MtLion is still DP1. Are there any tricks or kexts I could try to get SS!? :P

• 4 weeks later...

I'm assuming its an issue with Nvidia GTX4xx and GTX5xx cards. I haven't seen anything on modifications to the usuall kexts for ML and those for Lion 10.7.3 don't work for me. I refer to GeForceGLDriver.bundle, and NVDAGF100Hal.kext.

I put my GPU details into AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext but my Unigine Heaven benchmark score dropped from around 1400 on Lion 10.7.3 to around 700 on ML DP2, while my Geekbench scores were round 950 on both. My gpu etc details in signature below.

Try also to compare bench results using windowed mode, not fullscreen.

Only then you can be sure that VSYNC doesnt matter (also is active in fullscreen mode), VSYNC enabled may reduce results very much!

At least in OpenGLExtensionsviewer (because very high FPS) the difference is high.