Just a small tip to fix sound popping problem. (not "antipop")

nyolc8

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

(IMPORTANT: This tip is only valid if you using AppleHDA.kext for sound and if you have an iMac model set up in your smbios file. Using MacPro in your smbios may cause your system not boot up, so be careful!!!)

So the tip: change your smbios.plist values correctly for a MacPro instead of an iMac.

Yesterday I found out that the sound popping is present on real iMacs and MacBooks too, and the cause of popping is a power saving function by Apple, which turns off the sound driver if no sound played for an amount of time. This power saving function is not present on MacPros, so if you change your hackintosh to a MacPro via the smbios.plist, then no more popping when sound played.

This method fixed my sound popping issues completely! :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

(IMPORTANT: This tip is only valid if you using AppleHDA.kext for sound and if you have an iMac model set up in your smbios file. Using MacPro in your smbios may cause your system not boot up, so be careful!!!)

So the tip: change your smbios.plist values correctly for a MacPro instead of an iMac.

Yesterday I found out that the sound popping is present on real iMacs and MacBooks too, and the cause of popping is a power saving function by Apple, which turns off the sound driver if no sound played for an amount of time. This power saving function is not present on MacPros, so if you change your hackintosh to a MacPro via the smbios.plist, then no more popping when sound played.

This method fixed my sound popping issues completely! :)

I know this post is old but I wanted to add that this doesn't work for me. ALC888 on 10.9. Audio works great, but pops pretty badly no matter what model I have in my SMBIOS.

• 2 years later...