Help me Choose Distro!

Yusuke Urameshi

9 posts in this topic

Alright, to start off, I'm fine with any "somewhat" recent OSX build, it doesn't have to be 10.5.

I have a laptop (not a good start :P) that'd I've already tried a few builds on but none of them worked well enough to reach the installer.

The laptop is a HP Pavilion G7 117-3dx with the following specs:

17" inch 1600x900 pixel screen

AMD Phenom X2 Dual Core Processor at 2.6 GHz per core

ATI Raedon HD 4250 Graphics Processor

Synaptics Touchpad (generic)

Sound is some integrated business I think...shouldn't be an issue.

Can anyone reccomend me a build? I know this is by no means an ideal setup (as far as I can tell) but any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, and my CPU supports SSE2 and SSE3.

I hate to bump my own thread in any forum...but I have some information and no one has posted back, so it's either an edit no one will see or a second post that may get me some attention.

I have tried "some" build of Leo4all (not sure) and some iPC builds... Still can't get past the beginning...always get a kernel panic (or equivelent) when the install disc is trying to load the GUI.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Each user must make his own journey - I can install retail Snow Leopard and now Lion on the two PCs in my house with my eyes closed and one hand behind my back, but I have no idea how to install OS X on your laptop. Each PC is different.

The only thing everybody needs is fakesmc.kext, the rest is pretty much hardware specific.

I got it installed and everything, but I still have a few issues. I can't get built in eithernet to work, wifi (although I know how to fix this) or proper graphic resolution to work.

Could either of you reccommend somewhere to get drivers/kexts for an ATI Raedon 4250? I figure that I can find a generic driver for the networking issues.

What version of OSX have you installed?

if 10.5.8 up, download something called kext utility and try searching similar for your ATI Raedon 4250. Because mostly OSx86 seems to work with hardware with the same 'system' or 'family' so try searching for kexts for other ATI drive, in google(course) or in the producer site.

bye dude. wish ya good luck fella.

happy 2018