InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AndersenTech

VoodooPatcher

Hey everyone,

After a post regarding how to inject a custom version of VoodooHDA.kext into VoodooLoader I've released a tool that will do it for you (including permissions)!

To use the tool do the following:

1. Download and Install VoodooLoader

2. Download VoodooPatcher

3. Open VoodooPatcher and drag your modified VoodooHDA to the window

-For now, the file must be named VoodooHDA.kext

4. Wait 5-10 seconds

5. Enjoy a custom VoodooHDA

You can download both VoodooLoader and VoodooPatcher from the official Google Code page --> http://code.google.com/p/voodoo-launcher

PS. I think I've worked out all the bugs, however if you find any please message me with the problem

Advertisement

So - I'm very new to the whole apple ecosystem. I'm having trouble using this patcher.

Whenever I use the program to inject my own kext, I keep getting a permission denied error before I can even enter my password to grant permission. Subsequent attempts yields the same issue.

Is there any way to grant permission to the patcher/kext?

I'm guessing I'm being dense or am missing something very blatantly obvious but any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: forgot to mention: I'm running 10.7.2. Installer for the launcher runs fine. When I try to manually set permissions using the chown -R root:wheel command, I'm still getting "operation not permitted".

So - I'm very new to the whole apple ecosystem. I'm having trouble using this patcher.

Whenever I use the program to inject my own kext, I keep getting a permission denied error before I can even enter my password to grant permission. Subsequent attempts yields the same issue.

Is there any way to grant permission to the patcher/kext?

I'm guessing I'm being dense or am missing something very blatantly obvious but any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: forgot to mention: I'm running 10.7.2. Installer for the launcher runs fine. When I try to manually set permissions using the chown -R root:wheel command, I'm still getting "operation not permitted".

The patcher already sets the permissions for the kext, however just for future reference, you must be logged in as the root user

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel (KEXT)

OR

sudo chown -R root:wheel (KEXT)

I hope this answers your question.

Also, if you don't mind taking a screenshot and posting that would help if it's a problem with the launcher

Hmm. Logged in as root user. Still getting the same error - but for one reason or another, the VoodooLoader seems to get my sound working now.

And thus arises another problem. Using the VoodooHDA kext is causing my video playback to stutter horribly without audio (in youtube). Any suggestions for that by any chance?

::sigh::

Here's the screenshot.

post-938065-0-44968600-1324112690_thumb.png

i have the same problem!

Sorry for the delay, the last few weeks have been hectic, but I finally have some time off to take a look into this problem. Should be fixed by Monday

OK, I am totally stumped here... I have 10.4.6 on a Dell D620 with Sigmatel audio chipset. So far, nothing has worked to get sound, including a USB device (Lexicon Alpha). I have tried to follow the use of the VoodooHDA.kext, but still no good. Here's the story so far: I downloaded VoodooHDA.kext.2.7.2-10.6.zip and extracted it in Windows XP. I also downlaoded and extracted VoodooLoader_Installer.zip and VoodooPatcher.zip.

When I boot to OSX, I get the extracted folders & drag them to my desktop. I also removed the AppleHDA.kext from the extensions folder. Now what? I tried putting the VoodooHDA.kext into my System\Library\Extensions folder & rebooting - nothing changed. I ran the Voodoo loader - nothing changed. I tried running the patcher, but if I drag the VoodooHDA.kext onto the patcher icon, I get asked for permission (no problem) but then I get rotating circle cursor and the ystem is hung up solid - can't select any other windows, can't shut down (unless I hold the power button long enough to force the BIOS to do it). rebooting afterward still shows no audio devices.

Is this just a Tiger issue, or is there something else I'm missing.

I realize that this is a hack - but it's really frustrating not having basic functions like sound and network capability. I'm open to advice here!

OK, I am totally stumped here... I have 10.4.6 on a Dell D620 with Sigmatel audio chipset. So far, nothing has worked to get sound, including a USB device (Lexicon Alpha). I have tried to follow the use of the VoodooHDA.kext, but still no good. Here's the story so far: I downloaded VoodooHDA.kext.2.7.2-10.6.zip and extracted it in Windows XP. I also downlaoded and extracted VoodooLoader_Installer.zip and VoodooPatcher.zip.

When I boot to OSX, I get the extracted folders & drag them to my desktop. I also removed the AppleHDA.kext from the extensions folder. Now what? I tried putting the VoodooHDA.kext into my System\Library\Extensions folder & rebooting - nothing changed. I ran the Voodoo loader - nothing changed. I tried running the patcher, but if I drag the VoodooHDA.kext onto the patcher icon, I get asked for permission (no problem) but then I get rotating circle cursor and the ystem is hung up solid - can't select any other windows, can't shut down (unless I hold the power button long enough to force the BIOS to do it). rebooting afterward still shows no audio devices.

Is this just a Tiger issue, or is there something else I'm missing.

I realize that this is a hack - but it's really frustrating not having basic functions like sound and network capability. I'm open to advice here!

Unfortunately, this is a problem with Tiger. I never intended for it to be used with Tiger so the modules are probably incompatible. Sorry