{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

I keep failing setting up sound on 10.11.6

Should i install 10.11.4 or what version works best?

Btw i don't see any mention of AppleALC. IDT 92HD87B1/3 is on the list of supported codecs, but it didn't work for me, anyone tried it?

I managed to get sound working on 10.11.6 with AppleALC but i'm loosing it on most reboots

I keep failing setting up sound on 10.11.6

Should i install 10.11.4 or what version works best?

Btw i don't see any mention of AppleALC. IDT 92HD87B1/3 is on the list of supported codecs, but it didn't work for me, anyone tried it?

I managed to get sound working on 10.11.6 with AppleALC but i'm loosing it on most reboots

If you are using clover you should have to add in your dsdt.aml in Device (HDEF) this code (if you do not have it)

Device (HDEF)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
            OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
            Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
            {
                DCKA,   1, 
                        Offset (0x01), 
                DCKM,   1, 
                    ,   6, 
                DCKS,   1, 
                        Offset (0x08), 
                    ,   15, 
                PMES,   1
            }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x04))
            }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }
                    }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }
        }

add to clover config AppleHDA patches (KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch) and install aDummyHDA.kext (special for IDT 92HD87B1/3) to System/Library/Extensions (do not use clover kext folder for this kext)

I also have 10.11.6 and sound is working fine

patches and kext in zip file

patches and kext.zip

Yes and also /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.x/

___

Can I use HDMI to external monitor for my config?

Here is that file McLaggin

Thank you for attaching the "missing bios" but I have to ask you, how do you created/modified this bios? 

Because my service tag is different - JN01LR1 - and I don't have additional NV card in my N5110

Should I use this? Give a try? What is your oppinion?

If you are using clover you should have to add in your dsdt.aml in Device (HDEF) this code (if you do not have it)

Device (HDEF)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
            OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
            Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
            {
                DCKA,   1, 
                        Offset (0x01), 
                DCKM,   1, 
                    ,   6, 
                DCKS,   1, 
                        Offset (0x08), 
                    ,   15, 
                PMES,   1
            }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x04))
            }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }
                    }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }
        }

add to clover config AppleHDA patches (KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch) and install aDummyHDA.kext (special for IDT 92HD87B1/3) to System/Library/Extensions (do not use clover kext folder for this kext)

I also have 10.11.6 and sound is working fine

That didn't really help. I managed to get sound working, but for that i had to copy entire DSDT provided in Pre_Install.zip (both intel and nvidia provided working sound). I have of course also used aDummyHDA.kext and Clover patches as well.

Anyway, my problem was i got myself AzureWave AW-CE123H card, hoping it would get me handoff features working (it didn't) and original DSDT was killing my wifi.

I've compared DTGP method, hoping that it also needs patching, but it was not the issue, so i don't know what else is missing but using original DSDT with wifi replacement got me running with both wifi and sound.

I also got sound working on Sierra, but had to drop it, since there is no scrolling on two fingers, and smartTrackpad kext is just awful.

Even VoodooPS2Controller we're using on El Capitan is awful, but to discover that i had to try VoodooPS2Controller from RehabMan on Lenovo laptop - two fingers scrolling there is as smooth as on macbook.

Unfortunately VoodooPS2Controller from RehabMan doesn't get Trackpad working on N5110 (or at least it didn't for me)

That didn't really help. I managed to get sound working, but for that i had to copy entire DSDT provided in Pre_Install.zip (both intel and nvidia provided working sound). I have of course also used aDummyHDA.kext and Clover patches as well.

Anyway, my problem was i got myself AzureWave AW-CE123H card, hoping it would get me handoff features working (it didn't) and original DSDT was killing my wifi.

I've compared DTGP method, hoping that it also needs patching, but it was not the issue, so i don't know what else is missing but using original DSDT with wifi replacement got me running with both wifi and sound.

I also got sound working on Sierra, but had to drop it, since there is no scrolling on two fingers, and smartTrackpad kext is just awful.

Even VoodooPS2Controller we're using on El Capitan is awful, but to discover that i had to try VoodooPS2Controller from RehabMan on Lenovo laptop - two fingers scrolling there is as smooth as on macbook.

Unfortunately VoodooPS2Controller from RehabMan doesn't get Trackpad working on N5110 (or at least it didn't for me)

Also, instead of editing dsdt.aml you can add to clover config (Devices/Audio/Inject) layout for audio codec

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>12</string>
		</dict>

• 1 month later...

ezee i didnt got it what you told i used khairs method for creating boot able drive but ehat to do with efi folder please help

UmarTech Format GUID+Mac Extended + Use attached EFI (for USB stick, replace OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi by OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi) + Use your serial number(null) + if you do not use BCM WiFi card then you can remove patches(KextToPatch) from config.plist and kexts.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4i6cn42iiq9i9u4/EFI_ON_DISK_SIERRA.zip

Question to all:

Has anybody tried Full HD screen display for Dell N5110? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=n5110+full+hd+screen+display&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3An5110+full+hd+screen+display

UmarTech Format GUID+Mac Extended + Use attached EFI (for USB stick, replace OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi by OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi) + Use your serial number(null) + if you do not use BCM WiFi card then you can remove patches(KextToPatch) from config.plist and kexts.

Question to all:

Has anybody tried Full HD screen display for Dell N5110? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=n5110+full+hd+screen+display&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3An5110+full+hd+screen+display

Question to all:

• 2 weeks later...

First I assume that you have checked and compared my config with yours

steps are very simple:-

• format in the way I have mentioned
  • copy EFI to ESP partition of your HDD or USB drive(replace OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi by OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, use clover EFI installer to perform this step)
  • put your serial number in config.plist provided by me. (generate serial number using chameleon wizard)
  • If you are not using BCM wlan card then mute or remove those patches.
  • use same command to copy image to USB drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally I can write! Hi all.
About sound on Sierra 10.12.5:
Special for IDT 

1. I delete: VooDooHDA and AppleHDADisabler from S\L\E, I delete all of my audio patch from KextsToPatch.
  2. DummyHDA.kext, EAPDFix.kext must be deleted if you have this one.
  3. AppleHDA must be vanilla in S\L\E.
  4. AppleALC(AppleALC) and Lilu(Lilu) kexts put in my Clover.
  5. I use AppleHDApatcher, and next I take HDEF-patch in MironeAudio folder and patch my DSDT and you must do CloverFix: FixHDA_8000->True   (upd. I find a some troubles and change. Need do both: patch HDEF and make CloverFix)   
  6. At last I made clover patch in device\audio\inject-12

After reboot, I have fully work audio with working in PrefPane. And audio will not broke after update system. O:

I have many problems: Bluetooth, BadWorkingTouchpad(I don't have 2finger scrolling and I need that ), mapping on my keyboard and HDMI and VGA working.

Who knows how repair a touchpad with glitches?

• Like 1

Hello! Can anyone help me with Clover boot entries? I did everything according to the manual, copied clover from USB Stick to EFI partition on my HDD, added boot option in Clover and it doesn't load anyway. Clover doesn't show up without USB Flash inserted. 

Hello! Can anyone help me with Clover boot entries? I did everything according to the manual, copied clover from USB Stick to EFI partition on my HDD, added boot option in Clover and it doesn't load anyway. Clover doesn't show up without USB Flash inserted. 

Use older Clover of let say the one released in Dec, 2015 on another USB drive and then add entries.

Use older Clover of let say the one released in Dec, 2015 on another USB drive and then add entries.

Thanks for the reply but that didn't help. Is there a chance that the EFI partition on the HDD is somehow corrupted?

P.S. It's El Capitan that I've installed if it matters. And I tried Clover from May 2015

P.S.S I completely formatted the whole HDD, reinstalled the system and still I've got the same issue. Maybe that's BIOS related? I flashed N5110_UEFI_Plop.rom and it loads clover and the system from the flash drive just perfectly, but not from bloody HDD.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply but that didn't help. Is there a chance that the EFI partition on the HDD is somehow corrupted?

P.S. It's El Capitan that I've installed if it matters. And I tried Clover from May 2015

P.S.S I completely formatted the whole HDD, reinstalled the system and still I've got the same issue. Maybe that's BIOS related? I flashed N5110_UEFI_Plop.rom and it loads clover and the system from the flash drive just perfectly, but not from bloody HDD.

I have done this again. I used postinstall folder this time. First format MBR+MSDOS and then copy EFI into it. Copy DSDT, reboot! Remove and Add from where PCI/SATA visible on top of "Add Clover" in case of multiple "Add clover" icons.

Finally I can write! Hi all.

About sound on Sierra 10.12.5:

Special for IDT 

1. I delete: VooDooHDA and AppleHDADisabler from S\L\E, I delete all of my audio patch from KextsToPatch.
  2. DummyHDA.kext, EAPDFix.kext must be deleted if you have this one.
  3. AppleHDA must be vanilla in S\L\E.
  4. AppleALC(AppleALC) and Lilu(Lilu) kexts put in my Clover.
  5. I use AppleHDApatcher, and next I take HDEF-patch in MironeAudio folder and patch my DSDT.(or you can do CloverFix: FixHDA_8000->True )
  6. At last I made clover patch in device\audio\inject-12

After reboot, I have fully work audio with working in PrefPane. And audio will not broke after update system. O:

I have many problems: Bluetooth, BadWorkingTouchpad(I don't have 2finger scrolling and I need that ), mapping on my keyboard and HDMI and VGA working.

Who knows how repair a touchpad with glitches?

Where am I doing wrong?

1) System cleaned

2) copied those two kexts in Clover/kexts/10.12/

3) config.plist

<key>Fixes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>12</string>
		</dict>

• 2 weeks later...

I have also got working AppleALC, Thanks to Nargore

For me it was little different exercise:-

1.  injecting 12 using clover, that is same as discussed earlier by him
  2. > Changing DSDT patch 0x3 to 0x0C:- 
    "layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 

3. IRQ patch

Try this Touchpad

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2gjuj86usjkrv83/VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip(clover)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gyn3uhy3otfdbvc/Trackpad.prefPane.zip(/S/L/Prefe..Panes/)

reboot with -f

SP->Display, brightness slider is bricked. I cannot change brightness. HDMI not working, Can we ever get it to work with external monitor?

• 3 weeks later...

I have also got working AppleALC, Thanks to Nargore

For me it was little different exercise:-

1.  injecting 12 using clover, that is same as discussed earlier by him
  2. > Changing DSDT patch 0x3 to 0x0C:- 
    "layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 

3. IRQ patch

Try this Touchpad

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2gjuj86usjkrv83/VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip(clover)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gyn3uhy3otfdbvc/Trackpad.prefPane.zip(/S/L/Prefe..Panes/)

reboot with -f

SP->Display, brightness slider is bricked. I cannot change brightness. HDMI not working, Can we ever get it to work with external monitor?

Have you tried above kexts?

Trackpad and Keyboard is working with an issue that after every boot to load trackpad pref you have to open pane. I have tap to click checked which does not come in effect unless I open pane after boot up.

Another issue with AppleALC is built-in mic does not work after wake-up from sleep.

I have this weird issue suddenly with my brightness. When it boots the screen will just slowly dim until the backlight is off. I can use a flashlight and see the screen. I went into System Preferences and my brightness is all the way up but my screen is dark. 

Hello.

Im interesting this laptop.

How about usb3.0?

No need extra kext?

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

It has a Renesas XHCI controller which is not very well supported by modern macOS. I use oyen's driver which mostly works...

Perhaps there's some progress on this that I'm not aware of?!!

That aside, it's the most compatible hardware I ever had. And I've had a lot.

• Like 1

It has a Renesas XHCI controller which is not very well supported by modern macOS. I use oyen's driver which mostly works...

Perhaps there's some progress on this that I'm not aware of?!!

That aside, it's the most compatible hardware I ever had. And I've had a lot.

First of all, thank you for reply.

I dont have exprience other usb3.0 controller except intel 3.0 xhc controller.

I'm considering to buy sandy laptop to install snow leopard.

Cant see texas inst. Xhc 3.0 controller work case.

Maybe i need to exclude it.

Thanks

First of all, thank you for reply.

I dont have exprience other usb3.0 controller except intel 3.0 xhc controller.

I'm considering to buy sandy laptop to install snow leopard.

Cant see texas inst. Xhc 3.0 controller work case.

Maybe i need to exclude it.

Thanks

Snow Leopard? this is not a good idea for this laptop, HD3000 works on 10.6.8 very incorrect