{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Now the installer is working!

but I have a problem

that the usb mouse and touchpad not working in the installer and the brightness is very low I can't see anything!

I use inject kexts from clover

please help me to solve these problem

also what about SSDT file? you didn't include in your clover files

Are you using the Clover folder I provided? Did you add or remove anything? (kexts, DSDT)

Clover automatically creates SSDT (if the option is enabled in config.plist)

USB mouse:

Is it plugged into a USB2.0 (black) or 3.0 (blue)? USB 3.0 won't work without a properly patched DSDT like mine.

You can use the e-sata port next to hdmi port as an extra USB2.0 port since our laptop only has 1 USB2.0 port.

Touchpad:

Boot in verbose and look if it says "ALPS touchpad driver started"

Try clicking F3 or Fn+F3 to enable the touchpad if its disabled

Is the keyboard working?

Brightness:

Delete the backlight kext from the kexts>other folder

• Like 1

I removed backlight kext and the problem not solved

What happens is when the installer apple logo progress bar is near complete, the laptop going into sleep, when I turn the laptop on, the backlight problem appears!

Can tell what I should do please

I use your files without modifications

Keyboard is working

What happens is when the installer apple logo progress bar is near complete, the laptop going into sleep, when I turn the laptop on, the backlight problem appears!

Can tell what I should do please

I use your files without modifications

Keyboard is working

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAHAAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>HDMI+VGA+Brightness</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>AQIDABITAAASEwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAABgIAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAIAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
			</dict>
		</array>

Try this in config.plist and please let us know the results (search for key in that file and replace/merge)

• Like 1

Are you using the Clover folder I provided? Did you add or remove anything? (kexts, DSDT)

Clover automatically creates SSDT (if the option is enabled in config.plist)

USB mouse:

Is it plugged into a USB2.0 (black) or 3.0 (blue)? USB 3.0 won't work without a properly patched DSDT like mine.

You can use the e-sata port next to hdmi port as an extra USB2.0 port since our laptop only has 1 USB2.0 port.

Touchpad:

Boot in verbose and look if it says "ALPS touchpad driver started"

Try clicking F3 or Fn+F3 to enable the touchpad if its disabled

Is the keyboard working?

Brightness:

Delete the backlight kext from the kexts>other folder

Hi,

I solve all the problems by using my old DSDT !!!

when I use it everything works fine!

but there is one last problem!

my touchpad not working and Brightness up and down not working

Can you help me to solve it :)

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAHAAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>HDMI+VGA+Brightness</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>AQIDABITAAASEwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAABgIAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAIAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
			</dict>
		</array>

Try this in config.plist and please let us know the results (search for key in that file and replace/merge)

I solve this problem but now I have another problem that touchpad not working and only keyboard is working, any help is appreicated

I upgraded my dell Inspiron n5110, replaced all parts by myself.

from i5-2450M to i7-2760QM

from 6gb RAM to 12 GB RAM (8GB 1600mhz + 4GB 1333mhz)

from 500gb hdd to 256gb Samsung 850 PRO SSD + 500 gb hdd.

And its like a new MacBook Pro right now. (without graphics card, who cares though. only the most expensive MacBook Pro model has a graphics card).

the only downside is the laptop now requires 130W dell adaptor as before boot up, bios warning indicates that.

and intel hd 3000 doesn't perform very well.

And if I can keep this laptop little bit more cooler than I think I can see 3.5ghz turbo boosted frequency. 

At most I could see 3.37ghz on one core for a second till now. System overall runs around 50-60C and max 75-80C while stress test(I run it for 30mins).

If anyone thinking about upgrading hardware, I can help.

post-868887-0-44804300-1474770375_thumb.png

I upgraded my dell Inspiron n5110, replaced all parts by myself.

from i5-2450M to i7-2760QM

from 6gb RAM to 12 GB RAM (8GB 1600mhz + 4GB 1333mhz)

from 500gb hdd to 256gb Samsung 850 PRO SSD + 500 gb hdd.

And its like a new MacBook Pro right now. (without graphics card, who cares though. only the most expensive MacBook Pro model has a graphics card).

the only downside is the laptop now requires 130W dell adaptor as before boot up, bios warning indicates that.

and intel hd 3000 doesn't perform very well.

And if I can keep this laptop little bit more cooler than I think I can see 3.5ghz turbo boosted frequency. 

At most I could see 3.37ghz on one core for a second till now. System overall runs around 50-60C and max 75-80C while stress test(I run it for 30mins).

If anyone thinking about upgrading hardware, I can help.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

That's really awesome @doga1491

Please start a thread and I would like to know how did you replace CPU and SSD+HDD together and also 90W adapter can work post boot-up on battery?

when I use this kext is cause kernel panic for me

The V6 kext is not yet updated for Sierra. I found the source for the kext so I'll update it for you (later today).

EDIT:

Here's ALPS V6 kext (credits to radu for source) updated for Sierra. Tell me how it goes.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• Like 1

That's really awesome @doga1491

Please start a thread and I would like to know how did you replace CPU and SSD+HDD together and also 90W adapter can work post boot-up on battery?

There is a video on youtube to replace the cpu, google it. It's not that hard to replace. But takes time, and be careful while taking out and putting back in the components.

CPU general information for upgrading/replacing

- CPU must be 2nd generation mobile processor.

- Generally i5 processors are using 35W, but i7s are using 45W. Take this into consideration as it consumes more power so drains the battery.

- 130W adapter is dell recommended with i7 CPUs since i7s consume more power. But 90W works well. (90W adapter is the default with i5 n5110s, I don't know about i3s.)

- Motherboard must support the CPU. (Dell Inspiron n5110 supports most of it. I saw people are upgraded to even 2860qm, I don't know xm processor compatibility though, since they use 55w)

- Custom BIOS may be handful for fine tuning.

Here is the list of 2nd gen i5-i7 mobile CPU list

Red rectangled ones are the ones that i heard from people they made it work on dell Inspiron n5110. And also I used i5-2450m and i7-2760qm on my n5110.

post-868887-0-45059700-1474806477_thumb.png

Secondary HDD/SSD general information

- Hddcaddy is a empty drive with a connector which has same connector as a regular dvd drive. So it allows you to use a secondary hdd/ssd instead of a dvd drive. But of course you cannot use your dvd drive afterwards. But who cares its 2016. If you really need it, you can always get an external usb dvd drive.

- So you can get a secondary hdd for more disk space on your computer OR get an SSD to speed up your computer.

- But I recommend take out the Primary HDD from your motherboard. And put a new SSD back in, and put the HDD you took out from motherboard to hddcaddy. So that it will work more reliable and faster as far as i read on forums.

- There are only two different hddcaddys(9.5mm and 12.7mm). Mostly, they are not specific for any laptops. And Dell inspiron n5110s hdd drive height(or size whatever it's called) is 12.7mm. You can get any 12.7 hddcaddy.

- So Dell Inspiron n5110 needs a 12.7mm hddcaddy. 

And I ordered hddcaddy to put secondary hdd in it. And I took the dvd drive out and to use that empty space for secondary hdd instead of a dvd drive with hddcaddy. Then I replaced to ssd on motherboard then I placed the hdd that I took out from motherboard, into hddcaddy. Yeah I can boot without 130w, and It charges well with 90w to be honest. I'm pretty surprised. I ignored the warning permanently with f3 button on boot.

The V6 kext is not yet updated for Sierra. I found the source for the kext so I'll update it for you (later today).

EDIT:

Here's ALPS V6 kext (credits to radu for source) updated for Sierra. Tell me how it goes.

still kernel panic here, and I had to pull the battery out and discharge the laptop by pressing power button or touchpad never works correctly, even after restoring working ps2controller. btw where is the source code of alps v6 kext?

• Like 1

EDIT:

EDIT:

I will try this later, but I want to move clover to EFI partion

now I boot to osx from your clover folder, I but it to a flash and use it

but I want to move the clover to EFI partion like Mohammed did in the first page of this guide,

I make the EFI partion like this:

newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

but when I copy clover from the flash to this partion its not working

• Like 1

I will try this later, but I want to move clover to EFI partion

now I boot to osx from your clover folder, I but it to a flash and use it

but I want to move the clover to EFI partion like Mohammed did in the first page of this guide,

I make the EFI partion like this:

newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

but when I copy clover from the flash to this partion its not working

If you format the hard drive as GPT using disk utility, you do NOT need to reformat the EFI partition.

All you need to do is run the clover installer, select customize and select ESP option.

Then use EFI mounter utility to mount the EFI partition and replace the Clover folder.

As for the ALPS kernel panic, it's probably caused by the old version of xcode I'm using.

• Like 1

If you format the hard drive as GPT using disk utility, you do NOT need to reformat the EFI partition.

All you need to do is run the clover installer, select customize and select ESP option.

Then use EFI mounter utility to mount the EFI partition and replace the Clover folder.

Clover from EFI partition not working for me, I don't know why :(

I copy the same clover folder that is working from the usb flash to EFI partition, and add the clover entry to boot menu,

after that it loads the clover main ui but when I choose the macOS partition nothing happens

I don't know why its not working, the clover folder work in usb flash but not work form EFI partition!

Can't wait to get the working kext

Thank you very much, you are so kind

Here's the kext with the Sierra fix and compiled using xcode 8 with Sierra as a target. Tested on my system and it works. 

I'll probably be updating my ALPS driver to add V6 support since my driver has a more up to date base. Works better in my case.

I copy the same clover folder that is working from the usb flash to EFI partition, and add the clover entry to boot menu,

after that it loads the clover main ui but when I choose the macOS partition nothing happens

I don't know why its not working, the clover folder work in usb flash but not work form EFI partition!

Probably because you're using UEFI. I would recommend you switch to legacy.

EDIT: THIS DRIVER IS ONLY FOR ALPS V6

Dr. Hurt

I have problems installing Mac OS Sierra get the following message:

com.apple.xpc.launchd [1] (org.ntp.sntp.134) Warning Service exit With abnormal code:1

You can help me

I use your guide

This is a rather unspecific error. Are you using a correct DSDT? 

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• Like 1

Here's the kext with the Sierra fix and compiled using xcode 8 with Sierra as a target. Tested on my system and it works. 

I'll probably be updating my ALPS driver to add V6 support since my driver has a more up to date base. Works better in my case.

This is a rather unspecific error. Are you using a correct DSDT? 

post-868887-0-46660700-1474849205_thumb.jpg

still kernel panic with new kext.

I have a kernel panic when I use this kext

I don't know how to switch to legacy, my hard is partitioned as gpt

and I'm afraid to let clover installer update mbr (Is there mbr in gpt partitions?) and do something that can destruct my data

Is there any dangerous in the switching process?

I have a kernel panic when I use this kext

I don't know how to switch to legacy, my hard is partitioned as gpt

and I'm afraid to let clover installer update mbr (Is there mbr in gpt partitions?) and do something that can destruct my data

Is there any dangerous in the switching process?

I don't know about the touchpad anymore. I applied the sierra fix and it loads o my system with V3 so the problem is with the V6 code. I'll leave that to radut to see.

I'll see if there's anything else I can do.

Disable UEFI boot in BIOS. Or flash the original legacy BIOS.

Install clover with the following options: (and only those)

1- Install Clover in the ESP

2- Install boot0af in the MBR

3- CloverEFI 64-bit BiosBlockIO

ALWAYS MAKE BACKUP OF YOUR IMPORTANT DATA,,,

If you're hard drive is partitioned as GPT, you will not lose date because you'll not reformat. All you need is to disable UEFI, install clover as per settings above.

And yes, GPT disks have MBR but they're not used the same way as on a legacy system.

Hello Dr. Hurt,

For installation and use of OSX El Capitan everything works perfectly, except USB 3.0 have not applied the fix on table DSDT.aml
Use exactly the same parameters suggested in your guide but it is impossible to install MacOS Sierra
That may be failing, I'm making that mistake. If you like I can attach the fileClover to your review, there also is my DSDT

My configuration is Intel Core i7 2670QM 16GB RAM, HD3000 and Nvidia 525M, disk Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Atheros wifi and bluetooth.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah2k9tO7N7pTirtvarrDDTpN7S-iAw

• Like 1

Hello Dr. Hurt,

For installation and use of OSX El Capitan everything works perfectly, except USB 3.0 have not applied the fix on table DSDT.aml

Use exactly the same parameters suggested in your guide but it is impossible to install MacOS Sierra

That may be failing, I'm making that mistake. If you like I can attach the fileClover to your review, there also is my DSDT

My configuration is Intel Core i7 2670QM 16GB RAM, HD3000 and Nvidia 525M, disk Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Atheros wifi and bluetooth.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah2k9tO7N7pTirtvarrDDTpN7S-iAw

I don't know. I looked at your Clover folder and here are some remarks:

- You have 2 HFS+ drivers in drivers64 -> Delete vboxhfs

- You have an SSDT in ACPI/Patched -> Delete it because Clover automatically creates one

After that, try booting the installer in safe mode, with USB stick plugged into black USB 2.0 port

If still nothing, delete all kexts in "others" folder except fakesmc and voodoops2 and try again. 

I am successful in installing Sierra GM using Clover UEFI method using latest Clover from sourceforge. Thanks to Dr. Hurt for kexts and Thanks again now my laptop's CPU fan is silent..I will share my clover directory later in the day. I have changed config.plist a little.

Is it possible to load kext for BCM4352, if anybody has done that before?

• Like 1

I am successful in installing Sierra GM using Clover UEFI method using latest Clover from sourceforge. Thanks to Dr. Hurt for kexts and Thanks again now my laptop's CPU fan is silent..I will share my clover directory later in the day. I have changed config.plist a little.

Is it possible to load kext for BCM4352, if anybody has done that before?

Did you install clover EFI in the EFI partition? share how you do that please :)

I don't know. I looked at your Clover folder and here are some remarks:

- You have 2 HFS+ drivers in drivers64 -> Delete vboxhfs

- You have an SSDT in ACPI/Patched -> Delete it because Clover automatically creates one

After that, try booting the installer in safe mode, with USB stick plugged into black USB 2.0 port

If still nothing, delete all kexts in "others" folder except fakesmc and voodoops2 and try again. 

It did not work any of the methods you suggested, and not what else to do. But as I told the same setup works great with El Capitan