Leopard thoeries

dr choc

6 posts in this topic

okay so ive read alot about leopard and various OSx86 attempts but no show. so this topic is about what could ebe done in theory so list your theories! :)

k let me start,

my theory is getting leopard running on a genuine intel mac first and experiment from there adding drives into leopard from tiger mixing kernals to make kernals that has all nessacary Leopard things while also puting in what makes tiger work together. of course my mentality is this leopard is like a huge hay stack and there is the needle in the hay stck the hay stack is the hack so undereath all of the leopard GUI Kernal ETC there should be some thing that is universal to tigger.

Summary

Basically creating a system that ISN'T leopard but ISN'T Tiger but a hybrid of them both combined taking the best out of each

you do realize then you couldn't get software updates and other updates.  I think that most 3rd party apps wouldn't work.  But just tolet you know that leopard is just tiger with 10+ new features.

you do realize then you couldn't get software updates and other updates.  I think that most 3rd party apps wouldn't work.  But just to let you know that leopard is just tiger with 10+ new features.

Dr. Choc, before you even look at offering any software development advice, maybe you should invest in a dictionary.

The current difference between Tiger and Leopard (from an end usability standpoint) is 10 applications that have been added to Leopard.

At this point, there are many applications that perform a VersionCheck on the system to determine if it is an approved version to run (Like ShapeShifter, if you change the Version Number, you can get them to work some of the time).

That is the problem.

Yes, it may very well be possible to get Leopard to run on a hackintosh in time just as has been done with Tiger, but we are just not there yet.

Currently, Tiger on Hackintosh runs through using an older hacked kernel because as of this point we have not found a way to get 10.4.5 or later to work with non-approved x86 machines.

I have personally tried using a Tiger kernel on Leopard, as well as a Leopard Kernel on Tiger (in both cases on an actual mac) after some hacking away and I have yet to get either to "work". The Leopard on Tiger will let you boot, but will usually Grey Screen in the first 10 minutes. The Tiger on Leopard will show the desktop background (just after everything has loaded, but before you actually get to log in) followed by an immediate Kernel Panic.

Know that some very knowledgable people are working towards this end right now, but we are not throwing too many resources at it because Apple WILL be chaning a substantial amount in the next 7 months. There is no point putting in 400 hours only to find out that 3 days later you will need to do it all over again because you have a new Dev Preview featuring some new "Hidden" feature that everyone wants to see.

In the mean time, you have three options:

"Sit here and get blown up."

"Stand here and get blown up."

"Jump up and down yelling at me for not being able to think of anything and then get blown up."

Rather:

"Buy a Mac and install Leopard"

"Keep whatever you have and install Vista, get pissed off and switch back to Tiger"

"Keep whatever you have and go to http://www.lxnaydesign.net/ and use XGL for a while and thank God that you are not stuck with Windows."

- LOVE IT OR SHOVE IT -

In the mean time, you have three options:

"Sit here and get blown up."

"Stand here and get blown up."

"Jump up and down yelling at me for not being able to think of anything and then get blown up."

Rather:

"Buy a Mac and install Leopard"

"Keep whatever you have and install Vista, get pissed off and switch back to Tiger"

"Keep whatever you have and go to http://www.lxnaydesign.net/ and use XGL for a while and thank God that you are not stuck with Windows."

:)