Why did it look so easy when it wasn't

zedzed

6 posts in this topic

I gotta vent.

I have set up two computers - on for me and one for a friend.

Each computer is using components that have worked for others as indicated in the HCL.

Today I try to install 10.4.7 and the overall experience sucks.

Final Cut for example will not load - yet in loaded on 10.4.6.

I buy a wi-fi card - SMCPCIT PCI card - HCL says automatically recognized as AirPort.

It is not recognized.

My computer - I get a Sapphire x1600 pro card - it is supposed to work with borisbadenov install

It does not. I get black screen. I have loaded the OS a dozen times between the two computers.

It SUX!

Frack - maybe I will stay with Windows - at least I know how the piece of {censored} works and how to make it work.

I can't believe I just said that!

If you haven't, try running "repair priviledges" a time or two (in the Disk Utility program). That often fixes weird software problems.

I buy a wi-fi card - SMCPCIT PCI card - HCL says automatically recognized as AirPort.

It is not recognized.

That's life on the hack. :-) Perhaps you are using a different hacked version of OS X than the first tester, perhaps the chipset used in your card is different than the one that the other guy was using, perhaps the other guy was wrong. Maybe there's something weird in your motherboard and it can't use the PCI bus at all (what's the chipset? i945 motherboards seem to be the most compatible.)

I get a Sapphire x1600 pro card - it is supposed to work with borisbadenov install

It does not. I get black screen.

This may be a silly question, but are you using a 'native' DVI monitor or a DVI-VGA adapter?

Well throwing flour, eggs and sugar into a mixing bowl doesn't make a birthday cake.

If you want a hassel free install buy a real mac. If you want to hack one together yourself then you have to be ready for a bit of hard graft to get everything working.

I agree with the Mod. Just because you want to cut corners to save money doesn't mean it'll work out the way you thought it would. Best buy the right tool for the job.

For those that just jumped on the bandwagon, you have no idea what you are getting into if you don't have the back ground. I was fortunate to learn from the great ones from the start. Think about loading 10.4.3, xp, and linux at least 15x in 4 days just to figure out which dual boot method works the best FOR ME.