Lenovo B570

macinsane

302 posts in this topic

I have attached my Extra folder and also seven kexts that I have used in my S/L/E folder. Not everyone needs all of them. IOAHCI, if you have root device problem and IO80211F, depends on the individual wireless card. I used patched ASBM for battery and VoodooPS2C for trackpad. You have to use patched AppleHDA, FakeSMC and Patched ACPUPM. The rest of the kexts in my S/L/E folder are original apple kexts.

I can't get my keyboard and trackpad working under 10.8.2 right after installing.

I rebooted a few times and used -v for verbose mode once, and that's when it worked. I made sure that all of the kexts had the correct permissions and I rebuilt the cache just to be safe. Everything worked great except for my battery, which OS X took a while to recognize when I pulled the charging cable. My battery life is worse on 10.8.2 than under 10.7.2-5. When I rebooted, the keyboard and trackpad stopped working. No amount of reboot attempts have fixed it. Since I'm using the patched ASBM instead of VoodooBattery, I'm starting to think there's no way I can get any sort of decent battery life out of my Lenovo using OS X or Linux.

I watched the line-by-line verbose output and noticed that VoodooPS2 is complaining about "missing dependencies".

Any ideas?

Remove any Voodoo*.kext and install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + ApplePS2Controller.kext.

I will post a guide for Mountain Lion on B570 tomorrow.

For battery life problem take a look at system.log. After upgrade from 10.7.2 to 10.8.2 I get a strange problem: launchd crashed, then ReportCrash save the memory dump and after a few seconds crash again, and again... eating battery.

I will indagate the problem.

Here one of the errors:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.1000[430] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[880]): Could not setup Mach task special port 8: (os/kern) invalid argument

Oct 10 00:30:21 MacBook-Pro-di-Michele.local UserEventAgent[880]: +[CLLocationManager appsUsingLocationWithInfo]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x10b785ea8

Oct 10 00:30:21 MacBook-Pro-di-Michele.local UserEventAgent[880]: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '+[CLLocationManager appsUsingLocationWithInfo]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x10b785ea8'

Remove any Voodoo*.kext and install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + ApplePS2Controller.kext.

I will post a guide for Mountain Lion on B570 tomorrow.

For battery life problem take a look at system.log. After upgrade from 10.7.2 to 10.8.2 I get a strange problem: launchd crashed, then ReportCrash save the memory dump and after a few seconds crash again, and again... eating battery.

I will indagate the problem.

Here one of the errors:

Alright! I re-installed Mountain Lion and used the kexts and Extra folder from above, but skipped Voodoo* kexts. Instead, I used AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + ApplePS2Controller.kext (which strangely enough produce Voodoo debug lines in verbose mode).

Everything works except for my battery (it drains VERY fast).

I'm not getting the same errors as you in my system.log, so it must be something else.

This is the closest I've been able to get.

Alright! I re-installed Mountain Lion and used the kexts and Extra folder from above, but skipped Voodoo* kexts. Instead, I used AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + ApplePS2Controller.kext (which strangely enough produce Voodoo debug lines in verbose mode).

Everything works except for my battery (it drains VERY fast).

I'm not getting the same errors as you in my system.log, so it must be something else.

This is the closest I've been able to get.

As I have said before my laptop in plugged in most of the time and I switch between Windows7 and ML. So I can not tell you much about battery life.

Instead, I used AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext + ApplePS2Controller.kext (which strangely enough produce Voodoo debug lines in verbose mode).

Because Voodoo kexts are inside ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/

Can you look with HW Monitor on which frequence your CPU works? Because without NullCPU my one works most of the time with the Turbo Frequenz of 2.9 GHz and with NullCPU he switches between 800 MHz and normal 2.5GHz. So for me at the moment NullCPU is better. Anyone with the same Problem?

As I have said before my laptop in plugged in most of the time and I switch between Windows7 and ML. So I can not tell you much about battery life.

No problem. This is my first laptop that I've bought (sort-of) brand new in the last 10 years. I've "inherited" laptops from friends and family, but the Lenovo was a bargain because it was cheap, could run OS X without too many problems, and it came with a brand new battery.

I suspect the problem has something to do with the Intel chipset. On Linux, there are extra tweaks and patches you can apply to the kernel to get better battery life. I'm going to investigate further using Ubuntu since I can live boot it and there are a lot of forums out there with Sandy Bridge answers.

Either that or the BIOS is so badly damaged that only Windows can get full battery life.

I'm looking for something more than an hour. Even 1.5 hours would be nice out of OS X.

course you will, speedstep is not working and cpu is stuck at highest multipier and drains more voltage.

why are you using nullcpu exactly? there are at least 3 methods of enabling native power management ... that i can think of from the top of my head.

B570 uses SecureCore Tiano which is somewhat identical (leave out the OEM modules) to my Vostro's bios and I had zero problems with PM. Battery live is the same in windows (balanced) and OSX - 3.5 to 4 hours with 6 cell battery.

For your consideration:

d1zegjaa.34j.png

This is from my Mountain Lion install on a nearly stock B570. As you can see, the processors are hitting different power states and are mostly idling at a bit below 800 MHz. I have my LCD brightness turned one notch above "off", and my results are 20% battery loss between 8:15 p.m. and 8:40 p.m. I'm sure the depletion isn't linear (it shouldn't be), but I need to keep monitoring it.

I'm going to drain my battery and post back tonight with its total time before dying completely.

First, my battery life is normal now! :lol:

I'm just a bit shy of 2 hours 45 minutes.

Second, data14, I'd like to know all about the patched kexts you posted. I'm trying to learn what changes were made to each extension so that if an update comes out and no one else patches them I can post fixes right back here.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes here!

First, my battery life is normal now! :lol:

I'm just a bit shy of 2 hours 45 minutes.

Second, data14, I'd like to know all about the patched kexts you posted. I'm trying to learn what changes were made to each extension so that if an update comes out and no one else patches them I can post fixes right back here.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes here!

DSDT, AppleHDA and VoodooPS2C are from the 1st post here.

AppleICPUPM patched using this patch: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1003

IOAHCIF if you have "waiting for root device"error, is patched using this patch: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280062-waiting-for-root-device-when-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/

Wifi, just edited IO80211F kext with my wireless card (AR5B195) device and vendor ID.

• Like 1

DSDT, AppleHDA and VoodooPS2C are from the 1st post here.

AppleICPUPM patched using this patch: http://olarila.com/f....php?f=9&t=1003

IOAHCIF if you have "waiting for root device"error, is patched using this patch: http://www.insanelym...some-disks-fix/

Wifi, just edited IO80211F kext with my wireless card (AR5B195) device and vendor ID.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 months later...

Successfully loaded iAtkos L1 on the first try with NO changes, just using the defaults. However, my hard drive was initialized using GRUB, not MBR, so I had to start all over. Now, I have a MBR hard drive, and iAtkos boots, but can't get all the way into OS X. Why would this work fine as GRUB, then not as MBR? Some kernel panic, I'm guessing...

Lastly, I'm sure you put a lot of work into this, but it's hardly helpful to anyone who doesn't have a ton of experience with this (and I do IT for a living!). A little more explanation and some LINKS on how to do what you're taking about (instead of just assuming everyone knows how already) would be extremely helpful! Just some positive feedback.

Successfully loaded iAtkos L1 on the first try with NO changes, just using the defaults. However, my hard drive was initialized using GRUB, not MBR, so I had to start all over. Now, I have a MBR hard drive, and iAtkos boots, but can't get all the way into OS X. Why would this work fine as GRUB, then not as MBR? Some kernel panic, I'm guessing...

Lastly, I'm sure you put a lot of work into this, but it's hardly helpful to anyone who doesn't have a ton of experience with this (and I do IT for a living!). A little more explanation and some LINKS on how to do what you're taking about (instead of just assuming everyone knows how already) would be extremely helpful! Just some positive feedback.

If you do this for a living, then you might have known that GRUB isn't the correct term in this case. Why you have to use MBR formatting is indead explained in the guide and it is made clear that you can't use iAtkos untouched for installing, maybe have a second look? Thanks for the "positive" feedback by the way... ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. First time poster here. I hope this is the right place for my question. If this needs to go in a new thread, I'd be glad if the OPs would let me know.

Currently stuck with a 'Hibernate image too old' message on OS X boot. Here's some background into how I went about installing OS X Lion on my B570.

Firstly, the processor is a i3-2350m. There's 2 GB of ram onboard.

I had already installed Windows 7 and had been using it before trying to install Lion. I wanted to dual boot both from two partitions on the same hard drive. There were 4 existing partitions. 1 being Windows 7. 2 more for data. & a 4th being system reserved. I formatted one of the data partitions, to Mac OS X Extended Journaled, with MBR Partition Table. With disk utility as explained in the guide.

Restored the iAtkos L1 Lion dmg file, to an 8 GB USB flash drive, using a friend's Macbook Pro. I tried to follow the guide to a tee, including the smbios.plist & kext file. I had to shuttle back & forth between this guide, micred's Mountain Lion guide and rockinron's All-in-one guide to Vanilla Mountain Lion guide, for some bits. This was because I couldn't figure out the 'ShowAllFiles' part. Nor, the 'restoring' part. Since I've never used a Mac. Next, I installed Chameleon bootloader to the flash drive with GraphicsEnabler on.

Booted with the flash drive. Checked the AHCI Sata option. RealtekRTL81xx.kext. PS/2 kexts. FakeSMC and disablers. Installed Lion to the Mac OS Journaled partition. On first boot, the GUI loaded straight away. Didn't have to copy the smbios.plist file again. Plugged in the USB keyboard. Rebooted to read up on the post-install part.

Windows wouldn't boot. Stuck on the blinking cursor. I reformatted & installed Windows 7 again. Now, the boot to OS X option wouldn't appear. So I added an entry in EasyBCD for an 'EFI' Mac OSX. This time, I selected OS X, but after a few screens, it gave out the 'Hibernate image too old by {censored} seconds. Use Forcewake = y?' message & rebooted the computer.

I booted to iAtkos through the flash drive & typed "$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" and "$ sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false" in terminal. It gave out a 'sudo: must be setuid root' message. Repaired the permissions on the OS X partition with disk utility. It still gave the same error. Booted to OS X through the iAtkos drive & added the lines "<key>Wake</key>" & "<string>no</string>" to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in the Extra folder & saved it. I forgot to copy it to the desktop. Wen't back & copied & it still gave the same error.

Basically, I can only boot into OS X through the iAtkos USB flash drive. I'd really like some direction here. Should I go about trying to fix the 'Hibernate image too old' problem. Or just reinstall Windows 7 & OS X and using Gparted to create partitions?

This guide has already been a great help & has got me so far. I would really like if somebody could steer me out of this mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm replying to my own message. But, I've managed to fix the problem. It was the smbios.plist file copy thing. Since the first time around I didn't have to copy it from terminal, I didn't figure it was needed. Anyway, right now, I have one little problem. I installed these kext files, http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/PS2/VoodooPS2Controller/kexts/, minus the voodootrackpad. Trackpad is jittery. I use an external mouse in it's place. However, after returning from sleep, trackpad works smoothly. Is there any fix? Also, how can I uninstall kexts from kextwizard?

• 3 weeks later...

hi thanks a lot for helping me to install mac to my lenovo v570c :) . But i have problem with wifi. I couldn't use internet on wifi. I can see networks around me. I can connect them. But cant get proper ip address. I tried to use manuel ip and dns address' but didnt work. I would love if you could help me about this.

Edit: I could connect wifi with changing router's encrypt mode to tkip but still have problem with aes.

• 2 months later...

hi. My lenovo B570 has 2.10Ghz processor (dualcore) and Intel HD graphics (not 3000 or 4000). I have too many problems installing the mac osx. Do you think it's because the laptop has a really low config? Or is it something else?