Tips to Speedup OSX load Times

stangn99

20 posts in this topic

Are there any tricks or tips to speed up the loading process of OSX?

My computer takes about 40-50 seconds to load into OSX 10.4.7 (same deal with 10.4.6). Once its in..there iis no lag or anything.

It just takes a long time to load up OSX.

My hardware specs are:

Intel D945PVSKLR motherboard

Intel P4 630 3.0ghz cpu (sse3)

1gb OCZ DDR2 667 ram

Saphire x1600 XT 256mb gddr3

160gb Maxtor SATA drive.

Just curious myself since at one point I have a 30+ second hang time period for one kext. Would removing the hwsensor one actually speed up the process? I'm assuming that kext is responsible for detecting new hardware, and if OSX is installed and working with static hardware, it's not really necessary to keep redetecting the same stuff with each boot?

Am I right or wrong?

bb

The radio waves can't just come out of nowhere, because they just don't. Most people associate radio waves with an antenna, so why don't just make it like this instead:

post-20593-1153751677_thumb.jpg

I can see where people would think that, but OSX doesn't natively do that sort of monitoring, you usually need to use some specific application to pick up the "hardware" sensor information. hwsensor.kext sounds more to me (at least) like a kext that checks for differences in the hardware configuration of the machine everytime it boots, sort of like how Windows maintains a "checksum" of sorts for the hardware installed from the previous boot.

If the checksum varies then it goes into an accelerated hardware detection routine - which slows down the boot time. Put a new piece of hardware into a Windows machine and the next boot will be slower as it's picked up - and I don't mean a USB device or anything external that's plugged in, I mean some piece of hardware that requires a shutdown to install it then a cold boot to bring it all back up.

Of course, I'm still learning about OSX myself soooo... I could be wrong. :)

bb

Guest bikedude880

HWSENSOR.kext is located in /System/Library/Extensions . I removed it from my system and now it boots in ~15 seconds flat every time.

*EDIT* Just re-read your post. You are probably looking in the wrong folder (i.e. /Library/Extensions)

Hey..found it.

I was looking for HWSENSOR.

ITs actually APPLEHWSENSOR.kext oops.

Anyway...deleted it it, repaired permissions and such. Works great now... boots in 8 seconds (even if i turn the computer completely off and back on...still 8 seconds).

Ok...i think all my problems are sorted out now....the only thing thats bugging me is the little Square artifacts...but im using MouseLocator as a work around and its reduced the problem by a lot.

thanks for the speed up tip.... 8 second boot ups are a lot better than 40 seconds. :P

Guest bikedude880

Unfortunately, as far as I know, this will not work on Apple hardware because, and this is important, it's Apple hardware. It's already working like it should :P .

wow..spoke too soon.

New problem...im g etting some funky blueish/purple colour on some of my Apps... mainly Adobe productsna d VLC....VLC happens all the time.

Whats going on?

post-49304-1157087031_thumb.png

I have same problem - do you have ATI graphics card?

ATI (and maybe some others not fully supported) cards have this kind of feature.

If you have an x1600 card, have you performed the Borisbadenov fix?

Follow the Boris link in my sig. Posting 1 gives the manual method. Posting 3 gives an installer. They do slightly different things so one may work better than the other.

Hey Rammjet.

I have had issues with BOTH methods (manual and boris installer).

Here is what happens:

1. Install osx...change nothing..but add Graphics Mode = 1280 x1024 in boot.plist

*** results = 1280x1024, QE, CI, and QE2D ***

2. Install osx...do the MANUAL edits (boris method).....

*** results = multiple res. options, NO QE, NO CI, and NO QE2D ***

3. Install osx.. and use the Boris Installer method

*** results = will load up into a screen..but horizontal lines all over..no usuble. Unable to see

anything ***

So it seems like if i dont do anything..it works fine...and if i want higher resolution..just add it into the boot.plist . I dont know if it is actually working like it should.

wow..spoke too soon.

New problem...im g etting some funky blueish/purple colour on some of my Apps... mainly Adobe productsna d VLC....VLC happens all the time.

Whats going on?

I get the same thing when loading apps under Rosetta with an GMA900. Usually if you move it around, or cover the app with a window and move it off the colors will go back to normal. If by "Adobe products" you mean Photoshop I know that is running under Rosetta. Also if you're opening a browser under Rosetta so that Flash will work, same thing. VLC does have a native Intel binary so try looking for that, the performance is (obviously) much better.

• 3 weeks later...
Are there any tricks or tips to speed up the loading process of OSX?

My computer takes about 40-50 seconds to load into OSX 10.4.7 (same deal with 10.4.6). Once its in..there iis no lag or anything.

It just takes a long time to load up OSX.

My hardware specs are:

Intel D945PVSKLR motherboard

Intel P4 630 3.0ghz cpu (sse3)

1gb OCZ DDR2 667 ram

Saphire x1600 XT 256mb gddr3

160gb Maxtor SATA drive.

Wow, I have a SSE4 2.0 GHZ 512MB Ram setup and my computer boots up in just 22 seconds (I'm logged in and ready to start opening apps). Could someone explain to me why my inferior hardware would still boot up that quick compared to Stang99's setup? I'm running OS X 10.4.7