CPU Running Hotter on 10.7?

stuppy_

20 posts in this topic

Not on me end. I'm running a Q8200 whilst you're running a Q6600 and seeing how how you have an aftermarket cooler I can't see that much reasons why you would be running 10ºC hotter than normal. If you have iStats Menus installed, try checking if there's anything stressing the CPU (which I doubt).

Post a copy of the console log when your system loads up (all the info that you would see when you boot verbose mode is the in the Console in the kernel log section)

If you still have a 10.6 system on a partition report back the temps.

Yeah temps are certainly higher. Idling at around 5-6 degrees higher.

I have noticed (using hardware monitor) that it looks like Speedstep is enabled. CPU Freq keeps jumping around.

Was there not a file that you used to have remove - something relating to CPU power management that cause the higher temps?

Just to clarify what Noam is saying, native CPU power management will not fully work if AppleLPC.kext is not loaded.

Courtesy zhell, you can use the DSM method to fake the device ID of your motherboard LPC device so that the driver will load.

Here's how: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=2532

If you had native CPU power management working in Snow Leopard then your issue is something else.

Hi

I am a bit of an amateur at this - really only just about understanding what each file does.

On 10.6 I had a DSDT file that I made when I first loaded 10.5 onto the computer. I am using that same DSDT file now which has all graphics/audio/network working.

The only kext files in E/E are

AHCIPortInjector.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

The extensions i have on my 10.6.8 E/E folder are:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Would you be so kind to explain the what the DSM method is in something I can comprehend? Many thanks if you're willing to do this.

Any help appreciated.

I have just checked in System Profile - AppleLPC is not loaded in the extensions list. Is that why the temps are higher?

run lspci (if you don't know what it is just run osx86tools),dump ioreg, and give me your dsdt, i will give it a shot

but if you want more advanced and experienced user to edit your dsdt you should try Meld0n DSDT auto-Patcher,

i also see you have a lot of thing which you can get rid of with simple dsdt fixes like

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Has anyone noticed their CPU temps are about 10 degrees celcius higher than on 10.6?

I thought this was related to a something like the CPUManagement Kext?

Any help appreciated.

64bit OS hammers the CPUs more then 32bit OS.

I ran SL also in 64bit mode, and I can say Lion is exactly the same from the temps, only it is responding faster in the GUI but that could depend on Quartz and OpenGL ( ati drivers in Lion are newer ) . Nothing changed drastically from the OS architecture. I Use the same dsdt.aml, the same 3rd party kexts and Nullcpupowermanagement I used in SL too. so only the core OS is different. Like I said, no temperature problems.

Ati Card is only fan active when "you tubing" / games and iMovie - else machine is silent, no fans, no high temps.

IntelCore2Duo 2,1GhZ with 2x2GB Ram. Lion runs beautiful on this Laptop. Using a SMBIOS of iMac11,1.

According to my power meter my Sabertooth system running Lion seems to be using 3 W more than SL when idling. That kind of extra power usage shouldn't really raise cpu temps even by 1 C.

His main issue which I've noticed is that AppleLPC isn't being loaded as Gringo stated a few posts up.

I guess you could have someone help you with your dsdt so you wouldn't be dependent on the file

Mald0n is great with dsdt patching as he has his own auto patcher program iirc

run lspci (if you don't know what it is just run osx86tools),dump ioreg, and give me your dsdt, i will give it a shot

but if you want more advanced and experienced user to edit your dsdt you should try Meld0n DSDT auto-Patcher,

i also see you have a lot of thing which you can get rid of with simple dsdt fixes like

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Hi Noam

Firstly thanks to everyone for their support - but especially to Noam, as i think you have answered in a few of my recent topics.

If you are willing to then yes I would love for you to have a look at my files to see if you can patch the previous mentioned 'issues'.

Files are attached.

What I would love as well if you can - tell me what and where you made the changes? Maybe send me a text file with changes in red or something. That way I can maybe get a better grasp on what you've done and perhaps be able to sort something along the same lines by myself.

Many thanks.

Archive.zip

hey man, i did some editing, hope all is good

Remove

SleepEnabler.kext, sleep need to work now

for Removing

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Just install Latest Chameleon (all RC5)

for removing

you can add to com.apple.boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

for vanilla speedstep

Archive.zip

Hi Noam,

Just tried the new DSDT. That you so much for looking at it. Seems to be having a weird effect though.

It has sorted the temperatures out but I am having issues now with laggy sound, graphics and mouse input. Sound breaks up - even the popping noises when you turn the volume up and down and breaking up and distorting. Also - graphics seems to affected - Very laggy transitions on dashboard and mission control. Mouse also seems to be lagging.

Any idea of the cause?

PS Graphics are working - resolution is spot on - just laggy!.

Thanks.

Just swapped with my old DSDT to double check and I can confirm that with old DSDT - temps are back up and lagging has gone.

Any help appreciated.

I am having issues now with laggy sound, graphics and mouse input. Sound breaks up - even the popping noises when you turn the volume up and down and breaking up and distorting. Also - graphics seems to affected - Very laggy transitions on dashboard and mission control. Mouse also seems to be lagging.

Getting native speedstepping working can have those side effects (or, if you like, reveal "defects" in your DSDT that must be fixed to be more Apple-like). Most likely you need to apply the standard IRQ fixes and HPET device code as outlined here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564

Read the whole thread first so that you don't repeat the mistakes of others. See "simplified HPET device" in post #41.

Noam

Again thank you for this. Really appreciate it even if you can't fix it for me. Thank you for trying. Am going to try the new file and see what happens.

Gringo: When I was using 10.6 - I had speedstep disabled (as far as I know). Can I not just disable that? Would that not solve the temperature problem?

Everything as far as I can was actually working with the old DSDT. The only 3 files I have in /E/E now (and even before Noam patched my dsdt) are;

AHCIPortInjector.kext

FakeSMC.kext

Restart was working, didn't try shutdown or sleep (never used sleep anyway). Sound and video work. NIC works.

Not even sure what platformUUID does but even without that kext - it doesn't appear to be causing any problems?

Will report back on the new DSDT :gun:

Thanks again.

Gringo: When I was using 10.6 - I had speedstep disabled (as far as I know). Can I not just disable that? Would that not solve the temperature problem?

Working CPU Power Management = lower temperature.

Isn't that what you want?

I thought you were trying to solve a stuttering/lag problem.

Good news.

The second DSDT seems to have fixed it. Temps are down and sound/video etc are all smooth now :D Yay!

Thank you Noam, very helpful.

I am still having just one more issue that there seems to be a solution to - but I can't decide which one.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...259801&st=0

My last post explains a bit of where I am coming from. If you have time any advice on that would be welcome.

Again - thanks to everyone! :)

Working CPU Power Management = lower temperature.

Isn't that what you want?

I thought you were trying to solve a stuttering/lag problem.

It is - however like I said - Speedstep wasn't on on 10.6 ( always locked at 2.4ghz) and temps were always bout 37oC. Before Noam patched my DSDT on Lion with Speedstep enabled (saw cpu freq going up and down) temps were like 45oC

Seems to be fixed now :D

Hey man glad i helped

As for your question, im using the code suggested to create mkext whenever i change kext on /S/L/E, this way i preserv my /E/E folder and /S/L/E folder untouched. But do what best for you

Quick note about the commend, it does not work with -v(verbose)

And some reported problems.

Try both and decide