Legal OS X on a PC?

james w.

12 posts in this topic

Hi, i'm pretty new on the PC side, I've been using mostly MAC's for the past 10 year.

now, at work i've got an ibm thinkpad, and of course it comes bundled with windows.

i installed linux and while it is really good i still miss os x.

i have a legal copy of mac os x for a mactel, is there any way to install it on the laptop?

thanks so much in advance

james

Hi, i'm pretty new on the PC side, I've been using mostly MAC's for the past 10 year.

now, at work i've got an ibm thinkpad, and of course it comes bundled with windows.

i installed linux and while it is really good i still miss os x.

i have a legal copy of mac os x for a mactel, is there any way to install it on the laptop?

thanks so much in advance

james

Yes there's a way, but that way still makes it illegal. :) Or is it just that the way of installing is illegal?

Anyways you're better off with a pre-cracked DVD.

Just a thought....as I simply do not have the patience to read the EULA. Say one were to buy a mew intel mac mini. Since OSX is already installed, could you simply remove the hard drive and plug it into a more powerful hackintsoh? Yes I know it would be prohibitively expensive, but its always good to know where the loop holes are.

Just a thought....as I simply do not have the patience to read the EULA. Say one were to buy a mew intel mac mini. Since OSX is already installed, could you simply remove the hard drive and plug it into a more powerful hackintsoh? Yes I know it would be prohibitively expensive, but its always good to know where the loop holes are.

no, because the eula says that it must be installed on apple hardware, and besides, after you take it out of the one and put it in the other, it will still be set up for the others hardware and probobly would not even boot... you could probobly install it on an ipod and it would be legal, but i have to read the eula again... oh, and also with the removing of the hdd, it still would not be a cracked install in witch case it would refuse to boot on the grounds that its not true apple hardware...

max

no, because the eula says that it must be installed on apple hardware, and besides, after you take it out of the one and put it in the other, it will still be set up for the others hardware and probobly would not even boot... you could probobly install it on an ipod and it would be legal, but i have to read the eula again... oh, and also with the removing of the hdd, it still would not be a cracked install in witch case it would refuse to boot on the grounds that its not true apple hardware...

max

Even that has a loophole. As long as you have that Apple USB modem dangling from the back of your hackintosh, it should be legal.

One sided contracts can be avoided by changing the contract.

Wouldn't the lack of TPM in the Thinkpad make this difficult? Or do you mean install the hacked DVD on the mini, then move the HD to the Thinkpad? Even then, someone had to break copyright to download it via bittorrent, including you, because you share as you download.

I guess my point is that Apple's lawyers are smarter than us, so our InsanelyMac legal advice is going to be worthless.

*scatches head* Well.. Just thinkin here..but.. If I was Apple, sure I'd make noise and pretend to be upset over a site like this, for the only reason that people tend to do things more when they thing they are getting away with it. I mean, they let OsX86 do all the hard work,get a fan base, then relese it to the puplic as a new "OS X" Now on Mac and PC. I mean,look around.. if OS X86 was really a torn in Apples arse, this place would be shut down so fast your head would spin. Sure, it's illeagle. But does Apple care? Doute it. The wrath of Steven Jobs would be apond us if Apple cared. Plus, According to Wired.com. OS X works FASTER on a PC then on a Mac, now, How would that look if it became widly know to every single idiot who a computer? That the MAC OS, DESIGNED for Mac,MADE for mac and should only work on MAC, works better on a PC (Sure, the drivers are still a bugger, but we are getting there.) My 2 cents.

You say it's possible to use the legal install DVD from apple to install on a PC?

Because related posts disagree. It would be appreciated if someone could tell me what patches/process I'd need to go through to install from the legal DVD because I can't torrent behind my school firewall.

Thanks

people critisize microsoft because the bundle IE and WMP but to get OS X you have to buy apple hardware and it comes bundled with safari, itunes, quicktime, etc etc etc... and that's normal???

i really don't take the point here :-/

mac os CAN run really great on most on PC now it's just like if apple is forcing people to buy hardware from them when they could buy the hardware anywhere that's simply sucks when you see a mac book pro at 3000€ and the same hardware on a PC laptop at 1850€....