Apple's Battery Recall Goes Wrong

REVENGE

11 posts in this topic

Adding some more fuel to the battery fire, it appears that there are major discrepancies between the US Consumer Product Safety Administration's site and Apple's Battery Recall site on the issue of which serial number batteries actually need to be recalled. For example, regarding 12-inch iBook G4 batteries, "the CPSC lists battery serial numbers 6C510-6C626 while the Apple site has it listed a 6C519-6C552." As it stands now, the CPSC lists more hazardous batteries than Apple, but Apple is only providing recall service to the batteries listed on its own website.

So which party farked up the attempt at fixing the farkup? Things aren't clear at the moment, but it appears that Apple may be to blame for this one, for its battery recall site is also rejecting what according the site are valid serial numbers. Apple has thus far not commented on (or corrected) these issues.

If you have an identified hazardous battery part, tell us about your experience with Apple's battery recall program.

UPDATE: The CPSC site has now revised its chart to match the Apple Site's chart.

Edited by REVENGE

I don't think it was intentional or a sheer act of stubbornness. It was a simple mistake on Apple's part. Nonetheless, the last thing we need is for Apple to downplay how many faulty products there are and to say many are "within spec." If they can broaden their list of recalled batteries to coincide with the UCPSA's listed serial #s, at least it shows they're making an candid effort to finally right the wrong.

Apart from support.apple.com being down for a while, I had no problem filling out the form. The system recognized my 12" 1.5 GHz PB battery as faulty but stated that it could be 6-8 weeks before I received the new battery and that I should not use the old one until then.

What a mistake, that too in this age of online enterprise class integrated systems !

After Dell making the largest recall in history, Apple now stands at #2 for battery recall, and now the third slot will surely get filled up soon, Probably Sony Vaio ?

Batteries have always been a major issue with many electronic components using them. And with Apple....whifff

I use to work at AppleCentre, only India retail store for a long time. We used to get many complaints, but significant complaints relating to batteries.

While computers have been advancing the battery does not seem to be. Can the battery industry wake up and make a revolution ? Can we have acid free batteries, that work upto days without recharging and use normal tubelights to get themselves charged rather than consume 220 Volts ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...