Quartz Extreme Emulation?

nsputnik

8 posts in this topic

I want to use iMovie to do some video processing. I want to take the processed files from my OSX86 machine and them move them to my MBP for editing. This processing I want to do with iMovie takes a very long time and is processor intensive, hence my reason to outsource this to a OSX86.

iMovie will not run without a Quartz Extreme compatible card. Is there a way to emulate a graphics card that will trick iMovie into running?

I want to use iMovie to do some video processing. I want to take the processed files from my OSX86 machine and them move them to my MBP for editing. This processing I want to do with iMovie takes a very long time and is processor intensive, hence my reason to outsource this to a OSX86.

iMovie will not run without a Quartz Extreme compatible card. Is there a way to emulate a graphics card that will trick iMovie into running?

I dunno about that but if you have a pci-e 16x slot buy a cheap gt220 with graphics enabler it works fine.

and I see the nice ripples in the dashboard ;)

terramir

I dunno about that but if you have a pci-e 16x slot buy a cheap gt220 with graphics enabler it works fine.

and I see the nice ripples in the dashboard :)

terramir

Another option (if you're partial to ATI/AMD GPUs - like moi) is to go with AMD HD3xxx up to HD5xxx, as even the Mobility variations are supported. Not only are they popular for laptops and notebooks (with or without AMD CPUs) the HD5xxx (54xx and 55xx in particular) is a low-end desktop GPU option. (I have an HD5450 that uses a nice Snow/Lion-ready ATI5000Injector.kext that whiteapple_x86 mentioned in the New Users' Forum - while Snow requires a modified bootfile, as do most HD5xxx GPUs, in Lion, the injector Just Works.)

You can't emulate the QE/CI because it uses your graphics card to its full potential. Just install a mediocre graphics card that is QE/CI enabled, and you'll be fine. Core Image/Quartz Extreme doesn't require a powerful graphics card at all..

ilife 05 and 06 run without QE/CI. Both imovies have been tested to work under Leopard 10.5.8 hackintoshes by me with radeonhd.kext as the only "driver" ( it is only a framebuffer and has no 3d options - basically vesa only ). imovie is slow but all effects are working in 2D mode using apples software gl. Performance of the apps is comaprable as to on an underpowered G3 imac ( they have only 4-8MB of vram and also near to nothing gpu power )

Better than nothing :)

I have 3 PCI slots and one AGP slot.

A Geforce 7600 GT AGP will be fine for your purposes. I have one fully working here on 10.5.8 in a P4/i865 based hackintosh.

Fast AGP bus transfers will not work, the card will work like a 33MHz PCI card, which translates to bad performance in full screen gaming in high resolutions. Tomb Raider Anniversary ran perfectly in 640x480 with AA and all effects on but if I went above 640x480 it became unplayable.

Otherwise it works great with everything and is completely smooth.