Merom MBP or PowerBook G4?

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I am a totally newbie here, but not in Mac world. So For a long time I just read this forum without joining it, today I start to join because I really have a question that for me, hard to make the decisions.

I'm from Asia and I have an iBook G4 and also 1.83 Ghz MacBook. Currently I'm looking foward to MBP or iMac for my new Mac. But the MBP is actually out of my budget. I am so admired to PowerBook and MacBook Pro for it's features and specifications. I am saving my money for it and currently my money i enough for me to buy iMac 17" 1.83 Ghz but then suddenly someone offered me with a 1.25 Ghz G4 PowerBook for around USD1000 and since I really want the PB - so it makes me confuse, wether to choose that G4 PB or better go for 1.83Ghz iMac Core Duo.

I am an IT student so I'm doing programming and database. Using MacBook I can use parallels for my programming subject since I could not find any application in OS X that can do c++ programming and SQL database. I love to have the PB more than the iMac because 1) I am student, so I need protables. 2) I admired it for such a long time. But If I sit and think more, it is not worth it if I buy the PB G4 now because everyone is moving to Intel Macs.

I don't want to make a wrong desicion. So guys, could you give me your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Ask yourself, do you really need another laptop? Especially an older powerbook?

What are the specifications of your Ibook? how do they compare to the powerbook you have been offered? If the powerbook is considerably faster than your Ibook and you need to run PPC applications it might just be worth it.

The Imac offers more upgrade possibilities and should be comparable in terms of connectivity (usb, firewire, video) to the powerbook.

Take a look at the software you need to run, is it intel ready? If it were my decision I would base it on that.

If based on applications I should choose I think I have to choose Intel mac since I still need software for programming for a least a year unless I could find C++ compiler on OS X. But the reason makes me confusing to choose between that is because I already admired the PowerBook and MacBook Pro since day one I'm into Mac. It's cool and stylish :)

I think it is enough for me to have laptop because I already have iBook G4 and MacBook. Now the credit should go to either MacBook Pro or iMac Core Duo...

i think you'd have to be crazy to buy powerpc these days. how does the price you've been offered on the powerbook compare to a macbook in your area?

all native software will run much faster on the macbook (given at least 1Gb RAM) and powerpc applications should run respectably - certainly the powerbook isnt going to give a vast boost, the g4 being a relatively old and underpowered processor anyway.

i'd go for the iMac if I were you. if you REALLY want a macbook pro, why not sell your macbook and your ibook? i bet ebaying those two machines would make the mbp significantly cheaper.

my philosophy is that you only ever really need ONE notebook. multiple desktops, sure, fine whatever, but one notebook. just my humble opinion.

The price offered for the G4 PowerBooks is the same price as the 1.83Ghz MacBook here. Yes, sometimes I think like want to sell both of it, but think again I want to be the collector of Apple Computers :D (As far as I could spend on it ;))

Yes, I also come t think that I better buy a desktop, means iMac because currently I only have notebooks. But then is it better to wait for Merom iMac?Rumors said it should be among the first line Merom to be offer by Apple?

There is nothing wrong with the G4 Powerbooks still. However if you already have laptops, why go with one?

I'm personally shopping for a G4 Powerbook myself (of course I'm also getting a MBP as well). I have need for one as I'm attempting to port an old application I wrote to the Linux/PowerPC platform.

The PowerPC (G4 only, not G3) Powerbooks will still be useful for a few years and can be had for cheaper then the Mac Book Pro. I would never advise anyone against one, but I wouldn't advise them to get one either as a blanket statement either way. It's an individual case basis.

Based on one your info, I'd say you should not be looking at one.

Yes, I also think there is nothing wrong with PowerBook G4 but since I still use parallel for some application in windows, so I think I better move to Intel CPU. Furthermore, the person that want to sell the PB G4 putthe price as much as new MacBook 1.83Ghz. So I guess it's not worth it :D

I've take time and think, I think I would buy either iMac or MBP, but since I already have 2 notebooks, I might sell one of it or both of it to make the price for my new Mac cheaper. Since I already have the computers and not in hurry, I think I still can wait for next update for MBP. Thanks a lot, guys :D