retroz

9 posts in this topic

http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/news/b...VARBusinessNews

STORY

JUST FYI....

Security Firm Disclaims Mac Hack Demo

By Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek

Thu. August 17, 2006

In a video presented at the Black Hat USA conference in early August, SecureWorks researcher David Maynor and Jon Ellch demonstrated hacking into a MacBook, setting off a flurry of press coverage about the insecurity of Wi-Fi-enabled computers from Apple and PC vendors.

Now it seems SecureWorks is backing away from its suggestion that MacBooks are just as vulnerable as other Wi-Fi-capable computers. The company has posted a disclaimer on its site to make it clear that the demonstration at Black Hat used a modified MacBook.

"This video presentation at Black Hat demonstrates vulnerabilities found in wireless device drivers," the disclaimer says. "Although an Apple MacBook was used as the demo platform, it was exploited through a third-party wireless device driver--not the original wireless device driver that ships with the MacBook. As part of a responsible disclosure policy, we are not disclosing the name of the third-party wireless device driver until a patch is available."

A responsible demonstration policy would have forbidden the installation of flawed drivers to make a point.

Apple sees the clarification as vindication. "Despite SecureWorks being quoted saying the Mac is threatened by the exploit demonstrated at Black Hat, they have provided no evidence that in fact it is," Apple spokesperson Lynn Fox said in a statement. "To the contrary, the SecureWorks demonstration used a third party USB 802.11 device " not the 802.11 hardware in the Mac " a device which uses a different chip and different software drivers than those on the Mac. To date, SecureWorks has not shared or demonstrated any code in relation to the Black Hat-demonstrated exploit that is relevant to the hardware and software that we ship

Fake video hack on modified mac...

http://news.com.com/Breaking+into+a+laptop..._3-6101523.html

;):P

Of course it was faked. I knew when the story first broke for the simple reason that they claimed they took it over the exact same way they did to a Windows XP machine; in which, I got to thinking: Umm, OS X is totally different from XP (which the authors obviously failed to realize)--different type of kernel, api, filesystem...etc completely different. It was equivalent to saying an .exe trojan on XP could do the same thing to Mac OS X if you double click it in OS X as well.

Its sad how a product rushed out full of holes get more market than a product planned out..

Anyone can say "Well Apple is 6% (now near 12%) is closed source on hardware. Yet in some way is true, yet the freaken TV in the 40s was over 80% German & RCA.

Now that Apple uses the same architecture as Dell, Gateway, etc. The old processor zealots will see what Apple can offer: "We have an operating system totally different than windows yet no viruses or dumb spyware (yet)".

I'm getting sick and f!ckin tired of this well no viruses cause macintosh is so low in target scale.... Hell anyone looking to make a name for themselves would use it for a catalyst. "First person to make a real OS X virus!"

Would give you more credit than "Guy makes the 200k virus for XP"

I'm getting sick and f!ckin tired of this well no viruses cause macintosh is so low in target scale.... Hell anyone looking to make a name for themselves would use it for a catalyst. "First person to make a real OS X virus!"

Would give you more credit than "Guy makes the 200k virus for XP"

Spot on TinFoil!

Also, why is it that no-one is actually publicising this nearly as much as they publicised the "exploit" in the first place?

What makes me mad is, as Nonny Moose already said, NO-ONE will actually know that it was flawed in the first place! It will go down in the books as "Macs just as vulnerable as Windows!"

Blahhh!! Vent...

Anyway... sorry about that, just makes me upset that I've got to go eductate a new generation of mac-haters/doubters about macs... AGAIN!

J

Anyway... sorry about that, just makes me upset that I've got to go educated a new generation of mac-haters/doubters about macs... AGAIN!

Don't waste your time, honestly. I used to be in that camp in which I actually cared what people thought about Apple, and would try to debate the issue or educate people about the common misconceptions PC users have about Macs. Now I understand the futility of the effort and will let Apple's growing market share speak for itself. When enough people get there, the rest will start to see what it's all about.

Case in point: I took my current job as MIS of a rather prominent Law Firm and on my first day "on the job" there was a consultant outfit here performing some work. Apparently, my predecessor hadn't made backups of the email server, it crashed (thus loosing tons of corporate email and providing no reliable way to recover it), they were there installing the replacement and then they were going to forensically recover the data from the downed server.

I simply walked in with my little 12" PowerBook and set it on my new desk and began to clean up around my office. Apparently, my predecessor was also filthy, disorganized, and liked to work in the dark during normal business hours. In short order the fact that I had a *gasp* MAC created quite a stir among the consultants who would be , nominally, under my supervision for the remainder of this project and any subsequent projects they hoped to sell to the firm. They all came by to look at it and try to get the measure of the IT Admin in a Windows/Active Directory Environment who carried a PowerBook as his personal laptop.

They began treating me as a "LUSER", and unfit to assist with the project. They formed the opinion immediately that I was going to be another incompetent IT Admin and that they were going to have to hold my hand at first and then strong-arm me out of the way later down the road. (All the while gasping at how tiny my little 12" PB was and the fact that it was happily multitasking about 8 simultaneous apps).

Eventually when the going got rough for the poor consultants (at about 11pm that night, still my first day mind you) I stepped in to help. They were having some issues because of the connection between the email system and the document management system employed by the firm. Because I had "played dumb" all day and let them go about their business, I had all the power at this point. Secretly, I had been using the MS Remote Desktop Client to examine the network, check out the Active Directory Structure, and generally acclimate myself to my new home. With a few simple instructions and a bit of information that I had gleaned from my intelligence gathering operation earlier, I was able to direct them in finishing this project in about 30 minutes.

They were dumbfounded and somewhat upset that the "Mac guy" could know AD and MSSQL and the various bits they needed to finish this process. Needless to say, they were quite a bit more respectful of me after that, more importantly, however, they were very respectful of the Mac.

Since then our relationship has changed. They've worked with me on several other projects, and I could recommend them to anyone. And they've all been introduced to OSX86 and the forums. I think we're going to try a collaborative experiment with Leopard server, because the "teams" concept is really intriguing us. I hope, in all sincerity, to have a direct competitor to the Exchange and Active Directory hassles I have today (at some point in the future).

It was a long story to get to this. Use your Mac the way you see fit. Others may disagree or disapprove, as is their right, but at the end of the day you'll know that you got your work done in a highly efficient manner and without many of the hassles the rest of the world has to deal with. The others may or may not figure it out at some point, but that's not your responsibility.