Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

Guest ^Andy^
so were those 6870s in CrossfireX? And is there anything not working with your build and install?

Thanks,

Brant

They were crossfired but os x does NOT support crossfire so only one card was being used. Anything not working? I can honestly say not that I noticed.

its on the boot cd - use showallfiles and look in the preboot.dmg (or extract it from the package on the cd) or download it from here http://www.mediafire.com/?k7ef85vat57mwoq

I'm still not making any progress with getting to boot without a cd! Tried the again with the new kernel- same result no booting from disk but graphics work. All i get is a blinking white cursor unless i boot from the cd. Have i missed something in the bios? Speedstep is off, SATA is set to AHCI, CD boot first and can't find an option for HPET.

Are you guys there yet?

I wish!

I'm going to keep trying

Guest ^Andy^
I'm still not making any progress with getting to boot without a cd! Tried the again with the new kernel- same result no booting from disk but graphics work. All i get is a blinking white cursor unless i boot from the cd. Have i missed something in the bios? Speedstep is off, SATA is set to AHCI, CD boot first and can't find an option for HPET.

I wish!

I'm going to keep trying

If you are using a dsdt try without it. The only difference between booting using the cd and booting using your hard disk is the extra folder, the kernel and possibly the bootloader. You say that you have replaced both the bootloader and the kernel so that only leaves something in your extra folder causing the problem - it could be a rogue kext file, your smbios file or the dsdt (if you use one). You need to try and isolate which is causing the problem.

If you are using a dsdt try without it. The only difference between booting using the cd and booting using your hard disk is the extra folder, the kernel and possibly the bootloader. You say that you have replaced both the bootloader and the kernel so that only leaves something in your extra folder causing the problem - it could be a rogue kext file, your smbios file or the dsdt (if you use one). You need to try and isolate which is causing the problem.

I've completely deleted the extra folder and tried different options using mutibeast with no luck. I'm not using s dsdt, so that rules that out. Are any of the contents of the extra folder actually required for boot?

Thanks!

Guest ^Andy^
I've completely deleted the extra folder and tried different options using mutibeast with no luck. I'm not using s dsdt, so that rules that out. Are any of the contents of the extra folder actually required for boot?

Thanks!

YES!

FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement for a start.

Guest ^Andy^
When first installing OS X, what boot flags should I use? I have i5-2500K and GTX 460.

Depends which bootcd you use.

Hi Andy,

after starting 2 months ago using SL on a old Gigabyte board, I took the plunge yesterday and got myself a P8P67 (not the Pro version) and a i7 2600k.

Installing SL 10.6.7 following your guide and bootCD was a breeze. Thank you very much for making this available to the community. :D

I had to avoid restarting after the combo update though, so maybe (if it makes no difference on the PRO board) you could remove that from your guide to help others. So I ran your installer package straight after the combo update and only then restart.

At the end I had to run the realtek driver installation to get everything working as the P8P67 has a different NIC than the PRO version.

BTW do you use a sleepenabler.kext? Putting my PC to sleep works, but there is no way to wake it up again.

Hi Andy

Got a friend looking to build a hackintosh and this seems the easiest/fastest method..thanks!

As far as video cards go, can you recommend a sub $150 one that has kexts included? Looking to run dual 20" monitors and not game on it - just video/photography work.

During install, does it matter if you have 4 vs 8gb ram installed?

Thanks!

E

Guest ^Andy^
Hi Andy

Got a friend looking to build a hackintosh and this seems the easiest/fastest method..thanks!

As far as video cards go, can you recommend a sub $150 one that has kexts included? Looking to run dual 20" monitors and not game on it - just video/photography work.

During install, does it matter if you have 4 vs 8gb ram installed?

Thanks!

E

The ram doesnt matter - I've installed on systems with 8gig and 4gig and neither were a problem.

Unfortunately I can't help you regarding a graphics card recommendation as I have only tested with three different cards (5870, 6870 and 6970 the later of which isn't working yet) so would basically be guessing. Hopefully the other forum users will be able to recommend a card for you.

I think if I were intending to do video and photography work I would probably avoid the 6000 series ATI cards for now until the drivers mature and instead go for something from the 5000 series like perhaps a 5770 which should work fine using the graphics enabler with no need for the new ati kext files (it should work with the standard kexts from 10.6.5 upwards).

The ram doesnt matter - I've installed on systems with 8gig and 4gig and neither were a problem.

Unfortunately I can't help you regarding a graphics card recommendation as I have only tested with three different cards (5870, 6870 and 6970 the later of which isn't working yet) so would basically be guessing. Hopefully the other forum users will be able to recommend a card for you.

I think if I were intending to do video and photography work I would probably avoid the 6000 series ATI cards for now until the drivers mature and instead go for something from the 5000 series like perhaps a 5770 which should work fine using the graphics enabler with no need for the new ati kext files (it should work with the standard kexts from 10.6.5 upwards).

I've planned to build a dual boot SL and W7Pro 64-bit based on:

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro

CPU: Intel i7 2600k

PSU: Corsair TX650W

Memory: G.Skill RipJaws 4GB x 2 (F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL)

GPU: Not yet decided. I've wanted to use Apple Cinema Display 27", the questions are:

1. Is it required to get the $250 Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 to enable full usage of the ACD 27" (high resolution, webcam, speakers, ...), or $150 MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 would be compatible?

2. In any case, will the selected combination of GPU and ACD 27" be fully operational in Windows 7?

3. Will it be better to go with Dell UltraSharp 27" because of multiple inputs?

Thanks for any help and info.

They were crossfired but os x does NOT support crossfire so only one card was being used. Anything not working? I can honestly say not that I noticed.

So i should be able to purchase a secondary 5770 and crossfire them correct? i was planning to dual boot windows 7 along with osx and would like to use the two cards for the windows side of things. So should i have them both installed and in a crossfire configuration it won't have any i'll effects on osx correct? OSX will just utilize 1 card because that is all that it has support for. (i think, if i'm understanding correctly)

P.S. i've got the majority of my build complete, hoping the cpu will be here by the time i get off work tomorrow (ups mail innovations is the slowest shipping ever!) so i can proceed with the installation of OSX and let everyone know how it worked out.

thanks again for the help and guide!

- Brant

Hi Andy, Thanks a lot for the guide and boot cd.

Have sucessfully managed to install on p8p67 pro rev b3, i7 2600k with ATI HD 5670 (chose this one because it is passive cooling, want a silent system)

The only part i had to do change either skip the restart after the combo update or use a different graphics card (had a quadro kicking about) to boot back up before putting your driver package on.

The issues i am left with are...

Bluetooth not recognised (works fine with a usb dongle, so not overly bothered about this)

Ati graphics bug, so geekbench doesnt load.

1600mhz ddr3 Memory appears as 800mhz ddr2 in system profiler.

Wont wake up from sleep.

can you recommend anything for these?

Is there another graphics card that i could swap for that would not have the geekbench bug?

I work for a computer store, so can swap around whatever i want.

Many Thanks

Hey Andy!

First let me thank you for your amazing work, the guide and bootcd are a delight to work with.

That being said I haven't been able to successfully finish an installation as per your guide. I followed all the steps and when it is time to boot from the hard disk, without the bootcd, I manage to see the Apple loading logo then I get a nice blue background. You mentioned in this thread that the ATI 6970 is not working on Snow Leopard yet, is this the reason why my system is not able to boot up and stops at that nice blue background?

Thanks again for an amazing compilation! Hope to hear from you :)

Guest ^Andy^
Hey Andy!

First let me thank you for your amazing work, the guide and bootcd are a delight to work with.

That being said I haven't been able to successfully finish an installation as per your guide. I followed all the steps and when it is time to boot from the hard disk, without the bootcd, I manage to see the Apple loading logo then I get a nice blue background. You mentioned in this thread that the ATI 6970 is not working on Snow Leopard yet, is this the reason why my system is not able to boot up and stops at that nice blue background?

Thanks again for an amazing compilation! Hope to hear from you :D

YES!

6970's will NOT work.

Well i'm a little embarrassed! - got rid of RAID and everything is working fine! - [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with combo update and bridgehelper :-) Apparently a RAID set cannot boot with an /Extras/ folder :-(

Audio is still no good, the 887 does not work with the 887/888b kexts from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and voodoo HDA still gives a very loud hiss, even with the sample rate corrected in audio/midi utility.

Anyway, thanks a million for all your help Andy!

Hi Andy and Gang! I recently got a P8P67 Deluxe, used Andy's CD, threw on a few kexts from Tony's Multi, and I got a nearly fully working rig! I love it!

One thing that that doesn't seem to be working for me (and I don't know if anyone else has had any questions about this) are my eSATA ports, neither of which seem to be working. Chameleon recognizes the eSATA drive during boot, but SL doesn't seem to acknowledge it.

Is there any way we can get this to work? I have the JMicron kexts, both the SATA and eSATA kexts installed from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but unfortunately it's a no-go for my external lacie.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks all!

-Pete