Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

No OSX love for me yet!

Ive tried different methods for install...funny thing, after i get to initial reboot after install, i get working desktop!

Then apply update 10.6.7...and it farts to grey screen, or i try your brilliant package and i get beautiful colored

brick blocks!

So im doing burn in with windows7 (YUK!)

Its not over!

This is a test lab for a final cut render platform that will be replicated at least 5 times.

Section Description Score Geekbench Score

Geekbench 2.1.7 for Windows x86 (64-bit)

Integer Processor integer performance 15624 15776

Floating Point Processor floating point performance 22077

Memory Memory performance 9367

Stream Memory bandwidth performance 7081

System Information

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Model System manufacturer System Product Name Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 DELUXE

Processor Intel Core i7-2600K

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7

Processor Frequency 3.40 GHz Processors 1

Cores 4 Threads 8

L1 Instruction Cache 256 KB L1 Data Cache 256 KB

L2 Cache 1.00 MB L3 Cache 8.00 MB

Memory 7.98 GB 1600 MHz FSB 100.0 MHz

BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 1305

Guest ^Andy^
^Andy^, did you have a click sound in the speakers whit this sound configuration when is mute and any sound play ?

Not that I recall, although to be honest I don't think I have ever muted the sound. I will give it a try the next time I boot into snow leopard (bit tricky at the moment as I'm messing around with a 6970).

The best bet for your sound problem is to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and select the following options..

System Utilities

-Rebuild Caches (Select)

-Repair Permissions (Select)

Drivers & Bootloaders

-Kext & Enablers

--Audio

---Realtek ALCxx

----ALC8xxHDA (Select)

----AppleHDA Rollback (Select)

----Non-DSDT HDAEnabler

-----ALC892 (Select)

Once complete reboot and you should have basic stereo sound.

Then go to http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=14725 and install the beta kexts to enable full support for all speakers (select the first of the three speaker options when you run the installer).

The audio problem is just a bug in the installer script, usually running it again from the desktop will fix it. It does appear to install everything correctly but for some weird reason it sometimes doesn't set the permissions properly or load the kexts. If running the installer again doesn't fix it then just run kext utlity in full service mode (i.e. just double click it) that usually does the job.

Hello Andy,

Thank you so much for the thorough reply. So once again, please forgive me for being such a noob. :) I'm still getting a grasp of all this kext an enabler installation.

So I did a fresh install and did the following steps:

1) I used TonyMac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to run the installer DVD

2) Updated to 10.6.6

3) Ran Bridgehelper

4) Ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the exact suggestions you told me to check off. I didn't even check off [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or OSX86 software (not sure if I was supposed to)

5) Rebooted

At this point I just ran into the same problem:

I have stereo sound, but extremely distorted and scrambled. I've noticed that some people with the Pro boards have this problem and their workaround is using a sound card, but I really would like to help you find a really perfect method of enabling the on board sound

So....

6) I install the beta kexts from tony mac

7) Rebooted and sound still had the same distortion

8) I decided to copy the package from you boot CD and ran it once again

9) Rebooted

10) The sounds worked perfectly again! But I still ran into resolution display limitation. I'm assuming cause your package is mainly for ATI support?

This time, I'm booting with you CD.

So to be honest, I'm not really sure where to go from here. I'm such a noob, I don't know how to delete the ATI drivers and put Tony mac's NVidia drivers.

I even tried updating to 10.6.7, then lost the sound working properly again, and was only able to boot into the OS with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD.

Sorry for the craziness Andy. I'm really new at this and more familiar with PC/Windows install. I dont even know where the kext utility is.

All I know is, something with your package makes the sound work perfectly and all I need to do is fix the video after I install your package.

OR

Can you please make a package for helping us NVidia users that incorporates TonyMac's NVidia package, PLEASE! (excuse the caps

Thanks so much for you expertise and generous help on this matter.

Guest ^Andy^
Can you please make a package for helping us NVidia users that incorporates TonyMac's NVidia package, PLEASE! (excuse the caps

Why don't you just install TonyMacs's Nvidia package AFTER installing the package on my bootcd?

Unfortunately I cant make an Nvidia package because I don't have an Nvidia card to test it with.

Why don't you just install TonyMacs's Nvidia package AFTER installing the package on my bootcd?

Unfortunately I cant make an Nvidia package because I don't have an Nvidia card to test it with.

My apologies and thanks for your help and patience again.

I forgot to mention that I actually did try that. But it didn't work. I'm still just limited to a 1024x768 resolution. Is there a way to uninstall the ATI drivers after installing your package? Then maybe after that I can install tony mac's Nvidia drivers.

Or is it possible for you to make a package without the native ATI support? I'll be happy to be your tester for that and give you immediate QA results.

Guest ^Andy^
My apologies and thanks for your help and patience again.

I forgot to mention that I actually did try that. But it didn't work. I'm still just limited to a 1024x768 resolution. Is there a way to uninstall the ATI drivers after installing your package? Then maybe after that I can install tony mac's Nvidia drivers.

Or is it possible for you to make a package without the native ATI support? I'll be happy to be your tester for that and give you immediate QA results.

The ATI drivers wont have any effect on an nvidia card - they wont even get loaded. There is something else going on here I suspect. Possibly the TonyMac install is using yet another customised version of chameleon which will overwrite the sandy bridge support in the version I use and if that is the case then the only fix would be to merge the source code from both versions - something that I wont be doing as I would have no way to test it.

PM me the details of the Nvidia package you are using and I will take a look - I can't promise that I will fix it though.

The ATI drivers wont have any effect on an nvidia card - they wont even get loaded. There is something else going on here I suspect.

Before I ran your package, I was able to adjust to higher display resolutions, but the sound was terrible. Then after the package install, the sound was finally working well and sounding perfect, but my display defaulted to 1024x768 after the reboot and just stayed there. I then installed the 10.6.7 update and then Tony Mac's nvidia package, reboot, then the video was fine, but the sound went bad again.

I tried running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the same step you suggested again, and even ran your package again, but now the boot screen just freezes. So I guess I'll attempt another fresh install. I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

Guest ^Andy^
I tried running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the same step you suggested again, and even ran your package again, but now the boot screen just freezes. So I guess I'll attempt another fresh install. I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

There must be something in that nvidia package that is screwing up the install by modifying some of the standard kexts or overwritting the bootloader - can you pm me a link to the package so I can have a look at it. I may be able to figure out what needs to be done to work around it.

PM me the details of the Nvidia package you are using and I will take a look - I can't promise that I will fix it though.

Thanks. I understand that you cannot make any promises. I'm using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy CD for the install and the Tony Mac's NVIDIA update found on his forum's download page.

I think this is the description for them:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/upd...r-mac-os-x.html

Once again, thank you. I know I can skip all this and get a working sound card or Radeon, but I use the Cuda cores of the nvidia cards to utilize the mercury engine in Premiere Pro.

There must be something in that nvidia package that is screwing up the install by modifying some of the standard kexts or overwritting the bootloader - can you pm me a link to the package so I can have a look at it. I may be able to figure out what needs to be done to work around it.

Here's the direct download link

http://www.tonymacx86.com/1010110101/tonym...IDIA-Update.zip

I am running into the exact same problem as cdizzleSF -- everything works fine, but when I install the TonyMac NVIDIA update, my resolution is stuck at 1024x768. Everything works great with your boot CD, thank you. If there is anything you can do about getting NVIDIA drivers to work, it would be greatly appreciated.

_erin

Hey Andy,

Okay, so I was about to do a fresh install to see if I could try a different method. As I've been doing with my initial install process, I've utilized my older NVidia 8800 GTS card. The funny thing is, once I placed my older card back, OSX is finally perfectly loading with my monitors full resolution and perfect sound with your boot CD! But the sound it terrible again with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy CD.

It turns out it was the newer card, my 460 GTX, that froze your loaders CD at the apple Logo. I was only able to boot into OSX with -x or -f, but my resolution was still limited . I was able to load with the 460 GTX and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with perfect video resolution, but once again the sound was distorted. I've even tried using PCIRootUID to load it with your CD, without success.

Looks like we're finally cornering the issue and your expertise can possible pinpoint it. It's definitely a combination of the bootloader, and video card, after running your packages.

Your CD and package helped me out so much and I'm pretty happy to have gotten this far, at least some form perfect sound and video, but I definitely would like to utilize my newer 460 GTX. If you have any suggestions about booting my newer card properly with your CD, please let me know.

Oh and on more thing, I notice some "popping hints" on my speakers, that signal if sound is working or not. When I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], there one pop sound right when the apple logo pops up. That's definitely a sign for me that the sound is NOT working. But when I use your CD, I notice a double pop sound right before I see my desktop, that's when I know the sound is working.

I am running into the exact same problem as cdizzleSF -- everything works fine, but when I install the TonyMac NVIDIA update, my resolution is stuck at 1024x768. Everything works great with your boot CD, thank you. If there is anything you can do about getting NVIDIA drivers to work, it would be greatly appreciated.

_erin

For a split second there I thought I was going crazy for being such a noob. I'm glad to know people are paying attention of my progress with the help of Andy. I'm glad he started this thread.

Guest ^Andy^
Hey Andy,

Okay, so I was about to do a fresh install to see if I could try a different method. As I've been doing with my initial install process, I've utilized my older NVidia 8800 GTS card. The funny thing is, once I placed my older card back, OSX is finally perfectly loading with my monitors full resolution and perfect sound with your boot CD! But the sound it terrible again with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy CD.

It turns out it was the newer card, my 460 GTX, that froze your loaders CD at the apple Logo. I was only able to boot into OSX with -x or -f, but my resolution was still limited . I was able to load with the 460 GTX and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with perfect video resolution, but once again the sound was distorted. I've even tried using PCIRootUID to load it with your CD, without success.

Looks like we're finally cornering the issue and your expertise can possible pinpoint it. It's definitely a combination of the bootloader, and video card, after running your packages.

Your CD and package helped me out so much and I'm pretty happy to have gotten this far, at least some form perfect sound and video, but I definitely would like to utilize my newer 460 GTX. If you have any suggestions about booting my newer card properly with your CD, please let me know.

Oh and on more thing, I notice some "popping hints" on my speakers, that signal if sound is working or not. When I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], there one pop sound right when the apple logo pops up. That's definitely a sign for me that the sound is NOT working. But when I use your CD, I notice a double pop sound right before I see my desktop, that's when I know the sound is working.

For a split second there I thought I was going crazy for being such a noob. I'm glad to know people are paying attention of my progress with the help of Andy. I'm glad he started this thread.

Stop using the iBootCD - the kernel it uses is not sandy bridge friendly!

It's hard to debug this one without actually having a gtx460 to test with, all I can think of for now in no particular order are..

Be sure you are NOT using NVEnabler!

What's the device ID of your gtx 460 - I have checked the bootloader and it already has the latest Nvidia injector code in it as far as I can tell and has ID 0x10DE0E22, 0x10DE0E23 and 0x10DE0E24 for the 460's device ID's

One thing you may want to try is get it working using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and then backup your com.apple.boot.plist and smbios files from the Extra folder. Reinstall my package and then copy those 2 files back to the Extra folder again and see if that fix's it (just in case it's using an EFI string)

You're awsome for that! BUT.... I realized that your package has native ATI support. I'm trying to build my system with a EVGA NVidia GTX 460. So even when the sound worked, I could not adjust the resolution beyond 800x600 after installing your package (Please excuse me for the noob mistake).

Unless you can create a package that's NVidia card friendly as well?

I am new here and following your instructions have managed to build a bootable system that has audio, however I have no Nvidia GFX support and my default screen resolution is on 1024x768!?

Can anyone point a noob to how I would get true Nvidia support on my GTX 580?

Appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me.. thanks in advance.

G

Guest ^Andy^
I am new here and following your instructions have managed to build a bootable system that has audio, however I have no Nvidia GFX support and my default screen resolution is on 1024x768!?

Can anyone point a noob to how I would get true Nvidia support on my GTX 580?

Appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me.. thanks in advance.

G

I don't think you are going to get much luck on a GTX580 yet unfortunately :(

Andy, thanks for your work on this.

I'm planning on purchasing a Sapphire radeon 5870 with 2GB of Ram. Do you know if OSX will work with a card like this? I've seen plenty of people comment about the 1GB versions working but am unsure if the 2GB one will.

Thanks

Guest ^Andy^
Andy, thanks for your work on this.

I'm planning on purchasing a Sapphire radeon 5870 with 2GB of Ram. Do you know if OSX will work with a card like this? I've seen plenty of people comment about the 1GB versions working but am unsure if the 2GB one will.

Thanks

To be perfectly honest I don't know - I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work but obviously I can only vouch for cards that I have tried it with (i.e cards that I own).

After spending a lot of time getting my new Sandy Bridge build up and running I thought I may be able to save some of you a lot of grief and share what I have so far.

I have created a boot cd that should work perfectly for a P8P67 Pro although it may also work for other Sandy Bridge motherboards.

What you will need..

1 - My freshly prepared boot CD AndyBoot CD Image

2 - The mach_kernel from the 2011 macbook pro 2011 Macbook pro kernel

Burn the AndyBoot.iso file to a cd and have your Snow Leopard Install DVD at the ready..

Installation steps.

1 - Boot from your newly burnt AndyBoot CD

2 - Swap the boot CD for your Installation DVD or USB Boot Drive, wait a few minutes then press F5

3 - Select your install DVD or USB drive and hit return (no kernel flags should be required)

4 - Go through the usual installation routine

5 - Once install is complete reboot using the boot CD

6 - Hopefully you are now at the desktop with a working internet connection so go ahead and install all available OS X updates and reboot using the boot CD.

7 - Back at the desktop (hopefully) with an up to date system you can now browse the boot CD in the Extras Folder you will find a 'Post Install' folder containing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], An ATI Graphics Update and a new kext for the AL892 audio chipset. Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and select the following options..

8 - copy the mach_kernel that you downloaded to the root of your Snow Leopard boot drive.

9 - Reboot again - this time you shouldn't need the boot CD

10 - Once back at the desktop return to the Extras/Post Install folder and install the newer ALC892Enabler.pkg for better sound support.

11 - If you use a recent ATI graphics card run the ATI Graphics Update package from the extra/post install folder

12 - Reboot and hopefully you are done!

Ok I decided that was all far too complicated so now it's even simpler.

1 - Download the bootcd

2 - Boot from it

3 - Install Snow Leopard from DVD or USB Installation media

4 - Reboot using the bootcd

5 - Install 10.6.7 update combo (if you forgot to download it first no problem, just run the install package from the cd and reboot to get a working internet connection then go ahead and download it).

6 - Once the update is complete reboot again using the bootcd

7 - Open the bootcd, copy the installer package to your desktop and then run it (it's important to copy the installer to disk and not run it from the cd otherwise your sound will not work - this a bug in the postinstall script that I haven't been able to track down yet.

8 - Reboot without the bootcd.

Job done and everything should be working :unsure:

The package will install the new kernel, the sandy bridge friendly chameleon boot loader and all of the relevant kext's for this motherboard. Additionally it installs all of the new ATI kexts providing native 5800 and 6800 support.

I have tested the bootcd pretty extensively by formatting my own Snow Leopard install and rebuilding it from scratch using only this bootcd and the original snow leopard install DVD so I am pretty confident that it works.

Enjoy and please feel free to provide feedback.

Andy.

Oh nice. I see somebody named shantonu is now taking credit for my work and has uploaded the package from the boot cd to kexts.com.

What a great incentive to bother posting any further work!

Trust me Andy, you are well appreciated and everyone here will likely spread word about your contributions and stick up for the work you have done.

Regarding my earlier post, I meant to ask you if any 2GB card would work (not necessarily the Sapphire). Have you (or anyone) tried any 5870 based card with 2GB of vram? I'm wondering if the kexts support the higher vram or I should stick to finding a radeon 5870 based card with only 1GB.

Guest ^Andy^
Trust me Andy, you are well appreciated and everyone here will likely spread word about your contributions and stick up for the work you have done.

Regarding my earlier post, I meant to ask you if any 2GB card would work (not necessarily the Sapphire). Have you (or anyone) tried any 5870 based card with 2GB of vram? I'm wondering if the kexts support the higher vram or I should stick to finding a radeon 5870 based card with only 1GB.

Thank you :(

I've not tried a 2GB card other than my 6970 which we all know doesn't work (unless you happen to listen to the fud that tonymac has been spreading to all the news sites). I've only been able to test with cards that I actually own. Is the card you are talking about the eyefinity card btw?

It may be worth you popping over to netkas.org and asking there as I'm pretty sure rominator or the others will have an answer for you (they mainly concentrate on mods for GPU's for real macs). These guys seriously know their stuff and as you have a very specific question they will most likely help you. Just don't go there to ask how to get a 6970 working else they are likely to (very rightly) boil you alive in your own juices lol.

Guest ^Andy^
For my GTX 470 to work i had to edit the com.apple.boot.plist and add <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>. Then everything worked perfectly including dual Monitors

Excellent stuff.

Great work Andy! I have installed Snow Leopard using your cd on Asus P8P67, Core i3 2100 and 4GB Corsair ram.

AnVAL 514.709 is the only bootloader that identifies the processor correctly but the memory is detected as DDR2 running at 800Mhz. As a temporary fix, I've added the correct description to smbios.plist.

Another concern regards Serial-ATA controller being displayed as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" although the speed is correct "Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit" .

My hard drive appears as internal without using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext so I removed it.

Video card 8800 GT works with <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <string>Yes</string> added to com.apple.Boot.plist.

For the LAN, RealTek 8111E, I've used the driver found on Realtek's website considering that is better that a generic one.

I'll have to test SATA 6.0 Gb/s support.

I'm not using firewire, bluetooth, serial port, and audio so I've disabled them in BIOS and I don't know if they work.

If you have time, can you please make a package with selectable kexts? I think in this way more people could benefit from it installing only what is necessary on P8P67 series.

Thank you!

Guest ^Andy^
Great work Andy! I have installed Snow Leopard using your cd on Asus P8P67, Core i3 2100 and 4GB Corsair ram.

AnVAL 514.709 is the only bootloader that identifies the processor correctly but the memory is detected as DDR2 running at 800Mhz. As a temporary fix, I've added the correct description to smbios.plist.

Another concern regards Serial-ATA controller being displayed as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" although the speed is correct "Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit" .

My hard drive appears as internal without using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext so I removed it.

Video card 8800 GT works with <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <string>Yes</string> added to com.apple.Boot.plist.

For the LAN, RealTek 8111E, I've used the driver found on Realtek's website considering that is better that a generic one.

I'll have to test SATA 6.0 Gb/s support.

I'm not using firewire, bluetooth, serial port, and audio so I've disabled them in BIOS and I don't know if they work.

If you have time, can you please make a package with selectable kexts? I think in this way more people could benefit from it installing only what is necessary on P8P67 series.

Thank you!

Congrats on your build!

Regarding your suggestion for a package with selectable kexts.. well that's pretty much what other hacks like [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] are for. It's not a direction I wanted to take, I wanted to build a simple install method for one specific board - less options = less chance of messing up :wacko: