Parallels a No-Go for the Mac Pro

Colonel

7 posts in this topic

Many Intel Mac owners use Parallels to run Windows and OS X side-by-side on their Macs. It's a great tool for those of us that need our Windows programs but want to use the Mac OS. Due to a bug in the Parallels software, however, new Mac Pro owners might not be able to use the VM software. A poster on Parallels' Forum has the scoop:

I just bought a new Mac Pro (Intel tower) this morning. I installed Parallels (I tried both the 1848 build and the latest beta)... The installation went fine, I was able to create the virtual machine just fine... However, as soon as I go to "Power On" the virtual machine for the first time, it crashes my computer (I get the translucent grey Apple screen that locks up my computer and says that I need to reboot my computer). Every once and a while, it won't crash my computer, but I will get a Parallels error dialogue that says "Unable to connect to hypervision".

So what does this mean for Mac Pro owners who want to run Windows? Boot Camp isn't working too well, and now we find out that Parallels isn't an option. Hopefully Parallels will fix this bug so Mac Pro owners can enjoy running Windows on their Intel Macs too.

Parallels is indeed working on a solution, seems to have to do with 64bit support:

The Tiger that ships in the Mac Pro is 10.4.7 build 8K1079 and the kernel is Darwin 8.7.2 (My G4 still has built 8J135 and Kernel Darwin 8.7.0). See this thread on their forum: http://forum.parallels.com/thread3659.html

It seems they are frantically working on it...

We are aware of this problem and working on it with a very high priority! The fix will be available soon - keep in touch.

In regards to BootCamp, the latest version 1.1 should have added full Mac Pro support.

JMufla