Just bought a 17" Intel iMac

Weebs

7 posts in this topic

Just yesterday I bought my first mac, I've been a windows user my entire life (I'm only 14). Along with the iMac I bought the student edition of Mcft Office 2004 and the 3 year Apple Care Plan, both of which my dad paid for because the guy who worked there talked him into it :whistle: Also because I'm going to use this computer alot for school, because my old Sony VAIO honestly just blows. I plan on getting an extra gig of RAM around Christmas time because I know by then I'll be wanting to be doing tons of stuff on my mac. But I have a few questions

1. Is Apple Mail or Microsoft Entourage a better E-Mail client?

2. So far the only replacement apps I've installed are FireFox and Adium because I personally thought Safari was even worse than IE6, and iChat I didn't like the interface and Adium allows MSN and multiple log ins. Is there any other applications I should install to replace default apps?

3. What are just some good applications in general for Mac.

4. Please tell me anything you think I should know about making the switch

Thanks for reading, :compress:

Entourage is a steaming pos. I will never understand why microsoft saw fit to supply mac users with this poor excuse for an exchange client. Stick with Mail it's way better.

Safari isn't as bad as IE if you ask me but i agree Firefox is definitely the best of the bunch.

If you want to do file sharing i like Poisoned - simple UI for the gift engine.

I have two more questions

1. Will I have to pay to buy Leopard? Is it covered automaticly? Is it covered by my apple care plan?

2. Earlier today I was downloading XCode from apples site and I was getting 720kb/s and on my old computer I usually got 350kb/s when downloading things. Is this just because the ethernet for my mac is alot better or just that the server happned to be extremely fast.

I have two more questions

1. Will I have to pay to buy Leopard? Is it covered automaticly? Is it covered by my apple care plan?

2. Earlier today I was downloading XCode from apples site and I was getting 720kb/s and on my old computer I usually got 350kb/s when downloading things. Is this just because the ethernet for my mac is alot better or just that the server happned to be extremely fast.

1. No...you have to pay for it. The only time Apple ever offered free OS upgrade was 10.0 to 10.1 and that is because 10.1 was released like 5 months after 10.0

2. Who knows. Why don't you run some speed tests?

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

My download speed used to be about 3000kbps to 3500kbps and now it's 8000kbps to 1000kbps

My uplaod speed used to be about 200 to 250kbps and now it's around 350kbps every time.

It depends on lots of stuff. It can be your card, or it can be how many people are using ur internet, in your house, and in your neighborhood. Also, Apples servers, whether the servers are busy, or free. It can be plenty of things.