Is it just me or is this guy an Asshat?

Paul Thurrott  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is he an Asshat.

• No. Your just being silly, and i think you've had a little bit too much coffee?
    • Yes. This man is clearly an A class Asshat.
    • Null Vote.

29 posts in this topic

And how is this comparing to the other article?

All I said was "He's not biased in giving someone a hard time if he doesn't like something." As you can see he can bash on MS just as well as he can bash on Apple. He has and will continue to do both.

The other article was a rant on Apple's marketing tactics (primarily), this one a diatribe on the state of Vista RC1. Simply put, I just thought the few people in here who actually like to know a thing or two about a computer could see that Paul's site can play both sides and is actually a decent place for info (mainly for Windows, as the name of the site would imply).

"Can't we all just get along?"

Immortal words, I tell ya.

I've been what you'd consider a "Windows fanboy" (note I said Windows, not Microsoft) since it first appeared. The reason? I already had a PC - as crappy as it was - and I just needed the OS, not a $3000+ whole new computer just to get access to Apple technology.

Suffice to say, Thurrott has a lot of valid points. My biggest gripe about Apple, Steve Jobs particulary since he's the Captain of the ship, would be:

Steve, lay off the Windows bashing, bub. Microsoft doesn't bash Apple or OSX in any measurable amount like you just did in the keynote - and your lackeys followed suit right behind you, even in casual clothes just like you.

I've never bashed Apple apart from saying their hardware is just too damned expensive. They don't want everyone using their computers - seriously. They could never handle that much of a customer base. They've always catered to the "other" crowd, the "Think Different" crowd, the "computer for the rest of us" crowd. So more power to them, but lower the freakin' price will ya.

The best line was him telling Steve that yes Microsoft copies Apple and vice versa. Get over it, go spend a few million on a night in Vegas and laugh about it, geez. :(

I see a great product, fantastic engineering, beautiful design, functionality, etc... then I see Steve laying it on so thick it would take a jackhammer to dig out the basic facts: OSX has its place, and so does Windows. Period.

bb

And just for the record:

Everytime I've used Spotlight, it's never found the info I was looking for, even simple stuff that Google finds in a split second. I don't use Spotlight; that's what Google is for, at least for me... and a few bazillion other people too.

i definately totially agree with you.... i think that every os is the best for someone, doesnt have to be you tho!

max

All I said was "He's not biased in giving someone a hard time if he doesn't like something." As you can see he can bash on MS just as well as he can bash on Apple. He has and will continue to do both.

The other article was a rant on Apple's marketing tactics (primarily), this one a diatribe on the state of Vista RC1. Simply put, I just thought the few people in here who actually like to know a thing or two about a computer could see that Paul's site can play both sides and is actually a decent place for info (mainly for Windows, as the name of the site would imply).

Oh. Well we all have our own take on things.

I personally don't think that that is a fair compare, but I can see what you are saying.

Too bad both OSes are just big steaming copies of each OTHER.

Look at it this way. People are saying Apple stole the 64-bits thing from Microsoft and other companies/OSes, and the Apple fan boys say it is just logical to use current technology.

Well look at it this way. Filp that around and lets say something like, system wide, indexed search. Apple implented it first, if not made it, and Microsoft uses the idea. Apple fan boys say Microsoft is stealing, but the Microsoft fan boys can turn around and use the same exact defense that the Apple fan boy used to protect that Apple was late with 64-Bit.

i would have thought it's a more logical idea to innovate and come up with a better solution than spotlight and it's index. Make something better than your competitor instead of just having the same. That's what Apple do.

But don't get me wrong I'm not a total apple fan boy, far from it I've only started using macs in the last few months. i was an all windows boy for 10 years till i tried OSX86.

I've followed vista's development and am more than impressed with it. In-fact a few things I'm REALLY impressed with like the using a pen drive as a page file to speed things up!! I had that idea AGES ago!

Vista is still catching up with OS X though in my opinion. But leopard is out soon which should raise the bar again if i know apple as much as i think I do.