How to completely un-install an application

pmudesign

8 posts in this topic

I'm a noob to OS X, just got my first iMac after many years of using Windoze and I've got a question:

How do you completely delete an application from your system? I bought my iMac used and I'm trying to install a copy of an application, but the "Installer" application goes through the install process but then tells me I have a newer version of the application on my HD and it can't install. I'm guessing the previous owner had deleted the application from his HD and I don't own the same version.

I did a "spotlight" search for files but haven't found anything. I looked in preferences and didn't find anything there either. I don't want to have to re-format my HD, is there anything I can do to find this? I don't want to have to pay for the update if I don't have to.

Thanks.

What app are you trying to install?

If the installer comes as a .pkg file, then it uses the Apple installer which places a receipt in the Library/Receipts folder. Find and delete that Receipt.

Other installers will give that message if it finds the actual app on your drive. Try a spotlight on the name of the app and see if any copies show up.

If the installer comes as a .pkg file, then it uses the Apple installer which places a receipt in the Library/Receipts folder. Find and delete that Receipt.

Other installers will give that message if it finds the actual app on your drive. Try a spotlight on the name of the app and see if any copies show up.

Try this one: http://appzapper.com/

yeah, I always put spotlight to good use when I uninstall an app. First trash the application file, then I spotlight for the name of the app (and variations of it) and trash that. Normally works pretty well.

1. Some apps (like MS Office) come with an uninstall. Try looking for that on the disk first.

2. If that isn't found, you can delete the application. Then search for that application so you can delete the preference files and any application support files, etc. Delete and you're done.

3. You can try App Zapper

Thanks, that did it! I took a look at "AppZapper", unfortunately the app has to be still installed in order for it to un-install it. Thanks all for your help!!