10.6.6 is out

UnaClocker

48 posts in this topic

Anyone make the leap into 10.6.6 yet? I hate to do it without someone else trying first. :) I'm at 10.6.5 right now, as I remember it, the upgrade from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 was flawless, but I just wanted to be sure..

Unfortunately, the upgrade from 10.6.5 has bricked my desktop. I'm getting kernal panics which are unresolvable with the -x -v -f arch=i386 graphicsenabler=n flags.

The panic that's displaying on my screen right now is as follows:

npvhash=4095

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernal Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17 PSI 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26.-3/RELEASE_I386

vm_page_bootstrap: 830931 free pages and 1266221 wired pages

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

mig_table_max_displ = 73

SAFE BOOT DEFECTED - only valid OSBundleRequired kexts will be loaded.

Kext __kernal__ is not loadable during safe boot; omitting its personalities

[sleepEnabler] Registering PowerManagement dispatch table...

[sleepEnabler] in the event of a kernal panic, please use pmVersion...

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x2ab790): "Version mis-match between Kernal and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1054.9.26/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:707

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame: Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x75483bb8: 0x21b50c (0x5d4438 0x75483bec 0x223974 0x0)

0x75483c08: 0x2ab790 (0x59645c 0x1 0xe 0x75483c34)

this hexadecimal stuff goes on for quite a while (15 lines or so), I'll post a photo later

at the end of the list it says Kernal Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@0x7f0bd000 -> 0x6f0befff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernal version:

Darwin Kernal Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:18 PSI 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacPro 3,1

System uptime in nanoseconds: 231853554

and hangs.

My install is a myHack driven install on a GA-p35-ds3l motherboard. 8 gigs of RAM, a 2.83 ghz Quad Core intel chip, Galaxy G210 Geforce video card, and all SATA IO devices.

The install was from a retail 10.6.3 dvd, the upgrade to 10.6.5 flawless. However the machine has always given me a kernal panic if I tried to boot without arch=i386 (even before the 10.6.6. update) and if I tried mach_kernal as a boot flag it would tell me the mach_kernal was not found. Apparently it's found now, and it's not liking what it has found.

For now, 10.6.6 is hidden as an update on my similarly set up Thinkpad T60

Unfortunately, the upgrade from 10.6.5 has bricked my desktop. I'm getting kernal panics which are unresolvable with the -x -v -f arch=i386 graphicsenabler=n flags.

why don't you read your error message? boot with pmVersion=22

Same here, just did the update, now it kernel panics over the SleepEnabler kext, says version mismatch between kernel and power management. So much for the "This version of sleep enabler should work for all future versions." patch.. Gunna need a patched SleepEnabler for 10.6.6 before I can use that machine again. (I run in 64bit, if that matters)

Don't increment your pmVersion! It works with pmVersion=21 as in 1.6.5.

I've just upgraded twice from Software Update, once in test, once for real. Everything seems to work with pmVersion=21 (and panics with pmVersion=22).

"Sleep enabler kexts are version specific. Remove before installing the update."

I had a similar KP when trying to re-use my Sleepenabler.kext from 10.6.5. Take yours out and reboot. See what KP you get then (if any).

npvhash=4095

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernal Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17 PSI 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26.-3/RELEASE_I386

vm_page_bootstrap: 830931 free pages and 1266221 wired pages

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

mig_table_max_displ = 73

SAFE BOOT DEFECTED - only valid OSBundleRequired kexts will be loaded.

Kext __kernal__ is not loadable during safe boot; omitting its personalities

[sleepEnabler] Registering PowerManagement dispatch table...

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x2ab790): "Version mis-match between Kernal and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1054.9.26/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:707

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame: Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x75483bb8: 0x21b50c (0x5d4438 0x75483bec 0x223974 0x0)

0x75483c08: 0x2ab790 (0x59645c 0x1 0xe 0x75483c34)

this hexadecimal stuff goes on for quite a while (15 lines or so), I'll post a photo later

at the end of the list it says Kernal Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@0x7f0bd000 -> 0x6f0befff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernal version:

Darwin Kernal Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:18 PSI 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacPro 3,1

System uptime in nanoseconds: 231853554

and hangs.

My install is a myHack driven install on a GA-p35-ds3l motherboard. 8 gigs of RAM, a 2.83 ghz Quad Core intel chip, Galaxy G210 Geforce video card, and all SATA IO devices.

The install was from a retail 10.6.3 dvd, the upgrade to 10.6.5 flawless. However the machine has always given me a kernal panic if I tried to boot without arch=i386 (even before the 10.6.6. update) and if I tried mach_kernal as a boot flag it would tell me the mach_kernal was not found. Apparently it's found now, and it's not liking what it has found.

For now, 10.6.6 is hidden as an update on my similarly set up Thinkpad T60

Mini-rant.. I hate when people use 'bricked' incorrectly. Having a fixable computer issue is not 'bricked'. If your power supply melted down and fried your hardware, that's bricked. If you were flashing your bios and a toddler came in and pressed the reset button (and you don't have a dual bios board), that's bricked.

Bricked = hardware has permanently become as functional as a brick.

That being said, 10.6.6 works great on my UD3P!

I tried the pmVersion trick.. Didn't do anything for my kernel panic problem. I booted off the Snow Leopard disk (thumb drive, actually), loaded up terminal, went to my Extra directory, delected the kext cache, and the SleepEnabler.kext, rebooted and it's all good now. Strangely enough, sleep still works, wakes up just fine. Guess I'm all set.

As for the AppStore, it works just fine for me, bought a free app, it downloaded and and installed and runs, no complaints.

Successful update here on my GA-P35-DS3L. Had one wrinkle - corrupted graphics immediately after upgrade and reboot. I had to add my device ID to ATI5000Controller.kext, reboot a couple of times and rebuild my kext cache a couple of times before I could boot normally.

Got a 15% fps increase in Cinebench, which was nice, but still far short of my Windows score.

Also downloaded a free app from the App Store which appears to be working fine.

I took a deep breath, crossed my fingers and made a wish. It installed without a hitch with the same issue as the 10.6.5 update about sound. Installed the AppleHDA kext and sound is back. My rig is gigabyte ga-x8a-ud3r with FE bios, i-7-950 with 6 gigs ram. My install was the Kakewalk specific for my motherboard.

I've always done my dot upgrades .3, .4 etc as new installs with kakewalk. I want to do this one as strait from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 via software update. Any tips? I often see that people have problems and somehow change kexts etc? How do you boot in to do this if the system isn't starting up?

My only issue previously has been graphics? Installing the Exotic patch has always fixed this. Again, these were always fresh installs though, never upgrades via software update? Everything else other than that has never needed touching as kakewalk sorted it all.

EX58-UD4P

I7 - 920

ATI 4890

Alright, so pmVersion=21 seems to have brought my machine back to life. I've added that to the com.apple.Boot.plist file under "Kernal Flags"...and am running 10.6.6 on the desktop. Still more than a little nervous to try this update on my laptop though.

Alright, so pmVersion=21 seems to have brought my machine back to life. I've added that to the com.apple.Boot.plist file under "Kernal Flags"...and am running 10.6.6 on the desktop. Still more than a little nervous to try this update on my laptop though.

Ok, so a little bit more information (updated my laptop too).

After the update, changing the contents of my com.boot.Apple.plist don't seem to help much. pmVersion=21 and arch=i386 on the laptop allow it to start up fine if I do it manually, but if I don't it will KP.

The desktop, I suspect the same will hold true. Will try restarting now.

Ok, so a little bit more information (updated my laptop too).

After the update, changing the contents of my com.boot.Apple.plist don't seem to help much. pmVersion=21 and arch=i386 on the laptop allow it to start up fine if I do it manually, but if I don't it will KP.

The desktop, I suspect the same will hold true. Will try restarting now.

The desktop, being a quad core doesn't need arch=i386 as it did before because now the mach_kernal is in place. It does need pmVersion=21 entered manually. The laptop, a celery needs both. However why I have to enter these codes manually instead of just leaving them in the com.apple.Boot.plist is a bit of a mystery to me.

Any thoughts on how to effect a flagless fix for booting?

Anyone make the leap into 10.6.6 yet? I hate to do it without someone else trying first. :thumbsup_anim: I'm at 10.6.5 right now, as I remember it, the upgrade from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 was flawless, but I just wanted to be sure..

Software update worked for me, sleep doesnt work (but hasnt since I upgraded from 10.6.3).