Which cheap videocard

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a cheap videocard to upgrade my ATI HD3650 wich is not compatible with Snow Leopard. I'm thinking at ATI 4350 or ATI 5450. Wich one is better supported in SnowLeopard? My motherboard is Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R

I'm looking for a cheap videocard to upgrade my ATI HD3650 wich is not compatible with Snow Leopard. I'm thinking at ATI 4350 or ATI 5450. Wich one is better supported in SnowLeopard? My motherboard is Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R

I don't have any experience with ATI, but why not an Nvidia 9500 GT 512. I have had excellent success with them, and with Chameleon Bootloader RC5, I can use GraphicsEnabler and it's recognized and works great.

Thanks for your sugestion, but i'm also looking for an graphic card that has low power consumption (see this chart). So the criteria is cheap + low power consumption! Another option is for Nvidia GeForce 210. I need a confirmation from someone who manage to have a full working videocard (with QE/CI) in Snow Leopard

Thanks for your sugestion, but i'm also looking for an graphic card that has low power consumption (see this chart). So the criteria is cheap + low power consumption! Another option is for Nvidia GeForce 210. I need a confirmation from someone who manage to have a full working videocard (with QE/CI) in Snow Leopard

I am curious about your criteria. Low end cards usually provide low performance even though they may have full QE/CI support. Low end card almost always mean low frame rates and disappoint users.

OBW I have never heard anyone recommend a GeForce 210 (do a search and read the complaints).

My favorite low end card if a GeForce 8400 GS, some times on sale for $25, but has about 3 to 4 FPS on CineBench_11.5. It runs 1920 x 1200 @ 32 60Hz DVI input and plays movies with full QE/CI support on SL. I suspect that it will do dual monitors but have not tried it lately. Not good for gaming but okay for day to day general use.

neil

I concur on the Nvidia 8400 GS. That was the first card I used on OS X. I'm not a gamer, so I don't need high end graphics. I Mentioned the Nvidia 9500 GT mainly because I figured the 8 series would be harder to find since it's so old by technology standards.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking to upgrade my graphic card (7300) and since I run my computer off a laptop power supply, low power consumption is important.

I liked the link to the hardware.fr test. I have been looking at this other comparison chart :

The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2

And it has to be fanless as well.

I got a nobrand wattmeter, its like 8 euros, I can recommend getting one, its interesting to measure how the watt differs during startup, idle and so on. And measuring stuff in your home, like the toaster, 900watt....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also don't play games and I just finished downgrading my card from 9500GT 512mb to 8400GS. I can't tell any difference. The reason for the change is I wanted a card without a fan. 8400GS you can find anywhere for $30 even in the retail stores and I've seen plenty that with mail in rebate puts it at around $10.

This is my daily computer. I have a 24" monitor 1900 x 1600 and I can't notice any performance issue before or after but like I said I don't play games on the computer.

• 3 weeks later...