Would upgrading to an SSE3 processor speed things up?

whizkid515

5 posts in this topic

I've been using a hackintosh as my primary computer for about a year and a half now, and ever since I did it the right way (Chameleon retail on EFI partition), it's been rock solid. The only thing I have an issue with is that flash seems to really slow down my computer. My specs are as follows: 2.6 Pentium 4 (non-SSE3), 1GB DDR400 RAM, and a GeForce 5200. I do not notice this flash slow down in Windows (XP and Vista) or Linux (Ubuntu 8.10-10.04). Since I don't have SSE3, the kernel I use has to emulate that, which could be giving a huge speed decrease. If I were to upgrade this computer (at this point, I could build a super fast computer for about $350), I'd only really consider doing either the processor, RAM, or video card. What would you, the insanelymac community, suggest I do? Upgrade one of those 3, or just build a new computer and put this one as a backup computer?

Thanks for all of the help!

whizkid515

Yeah, I was leaning pretty far toward that. This computer will always have a soft spot in my heart for being my first hackintosh. Surprisingly, for just piddly stuff, it runs faster than my macbook, even when it's booted to a 1:1 copy of my macbook's partition. It's just not enough for flash and what my intended use for this computer was, Logic. For recording, it's fine, but when you start playing a lot of tracks and sequencing simultaneously, it can't keep up.

• 3 weeks later...