What is the advantage of 64 bit?

flacker

8 posts in this topic

I was running 64 bit, but after fiddling with my boot loader(s) I now seem to be defaulting into 32 bit!

This led to my wondering whether there really is much advantage to running in 64, given that some kexts I might like are only available in 32.

Given that my machine has 4 gigs of ram, and is not a "Core Duo", but is dual core, am I taking much of a performance hit in just sticking to 32?

I was running 64 bit, but after fiddling with my boot loader(s) I now seem to be defaulting into 32 bit!

This led to my wondering whether there really is much advantage to running in 64, given that some kexts I might like are only available in 32.

Given that my machine has 4 gigs of ram, and is not a "Core Duo", but is dual core, am I taking much of a performance hit in just sticking to 32?

Pretty much this.

Yep. XLR is new here, but he's right. :) lol

OS X is not like Windows, it is perfectly capable of running 64-bit software and can address up to 32GB RAM when it's running in 32-bit kernel and drivers mode.

It's nothing new, Leopard 10.5.x could do that too.

Read this article from the author of the OS X bible:

http://www.osxbook.com/blog/2009/08/31/is-...ow-leopard-k64/

Something funny (from a Windows users perspective) - some Macs have 64-bit capable CPUs but cannot run in 64-bit kernel and drivers mode because their EFI firmware is 32-bit. But, if you install Snow Leopard in VMWare on one of those Macs then you can run it in 64-bit mode.

Try that on 32-bit Windows and see how far you get.

That's kind of along the lines I was thinking. The link referred to above seemed to suggest there is a hardware problem in addressing the 4gigs, although that article IS three years old. Given that my machine IS 64bit, perhaps that h/w limitation is overcome, and the 32bit OS likewise can see all that memory(?)

In my 32 bit boot, in any case, Activity Monitor does show 4 gigs available (plus 106 virtual!).

If you're talking about OSX, then 64 bit can be an advantage only for those who have more than 32GB of RAM.