Radeon 4850HD issues w/ 10.6.4

SeanieB

23 posts in this topic

Excuse the cross post from the Kakewalk thread in the Installation forum, (the original post has been replaced with a link to this one) but I thought this would be more appropriate here.

Alright, downloading the combo update, will try! Thanks!

I installed 10.6.4, then ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and installed the 48xx injector and the 48xx 10.6.4 patch, and rebooted, the system boots, then the monitor shuts off and the system continues booting.

What do I do now?

Just tried booting with -f, no difference.

Wow, this is the wierdest thing I've ever seen in my life

i just tried the DVI-VGA dongle in the 2nd DVI port, with DVI to the monitor in the first, and I get the desktop, but every second or so, the screen goes to static, then I get the desktop, then it's static for a few seconds, then the desktop.

I'm going to try switching them around, and the VGA port itself.

I just swapped them around and managed to open the display control panel through the static

it looks like it's corrupting the DVI signal itself, because if i set a lower resolution that's letterboxed, the static is full screen.

I'm going to try the VGA in the dongle.

VGA works, but the resolution list skips over my display's native resolution of 1680x1050.

Any ideas on how to get DVI or my native resolution working?

Anyone have any good suggestions how I can get my DVI back? I really don't like the VGA colour profile (lol) or the strange resolutions. I think there's a table somewhere where you can set what resolutions that VGA lists?

Everything else seems to work.

janSO.jpg

Nope, no change. I had to go back to the DVI>VGA>VGA dongle, I tried DVI directly and DVI and the dongle in the other port, no change

I installed that kext with kext helper and did what you said with Lizard, but it doesnt look like lizard detected my boot loader properly:

9p1KZ.png

My GPU is dual DVI w/s-video

a Gigabyte GV-R485ZL-512H (ATI 4850HD 512 MB dual DVI

do not install this kext, just leave it in the folder

*it only serves to not have to change the ati4800controller

reboot with -f -v

*you need to be with the original kexts without modification

-legacyati4800controller.kex (E/E or S/L/E)

-GraphicsEnabler=yes

-PciRoot=1

loveapple2117454552imag.gif

Good Luck

do not install this kext, just leave it in the folder

*it only serves to not have to change the ati4800controller

reboot with -f -v

*you need to be with the original kexts without modification

-GraphicsEnabler=yes

-PciRoot=1

loveapple2117454552imag.gif

Good Luck

I installed the latest chameleon with Lizard, and lizard and the boot loader work (adding -f -v to lizard's box made it boot with verbose and force), I also moved legacy4800 to E/E, no change. still the flashing static screen. I still have to use VGA through the dongle.

I'm so close, it looks like everything is working through the static! if that {censored} were just gone, it would be fine. ;)

I tried to check the logs, but the flashing and movement of the static gave me a headache.

You could try using the setup I used but might a 50/50 shot because I have a sapphire 4850 hdmi vga dvi and it's working over the dvi port I'm still in the process of getting the hdmi possibly working if I can find other forum members with the same card that has it working.

Since you're using a 2x DVI port card, this should hopefully work for you. Download the attached .zip file and follow what the readme in there says and hope all works out.

I'm running on 10.6.3 using the 64-bit kernel and everything is smooth like buttah'

Lemme know if things work out for you bro, good luck.

4830_DVI_VGA_HDMI_SL_10.6.3.zip

@MadLd0n: which brand of the 4850 card are you using? I'm assuming one of the 2x DVI port cards.

When you say it was fixed in 10.6.5, you mean that you can just use the card without having to modify any kexts neither putting in any boot strings? If so, I might just give .5 a go and see how things work out. Btw, do you get both DVI ports working on 10.6.5 if so just post back.

HIS

2x DVI

10.6.5 do not need the adapter (dvi2vga)

and neither of the 10.6.2 kexts

not yet tested it with two monitors

but...

"I still need to plug in an DVI->VGA adapter on the unused DVI port. Try this if you get a black screen instead of proper graphics."

problem solved

Simple

-GraphicsEnabler=yes

-PciRoot=1

32/64 Vanila

mald0n20100912s001354.png

legacyati4800controller.kext

mald0n20100912s001630.png

smokev.gif

The two pic's below illustrates on SL 10.6.5 works with dual monitors

[DVI--DVI-1.jpg

Arrangement.jpg

The pic below illustrates that VGA works...

VGA.jpg

Whats strange is VGA isn't setting up the right resolution display? I could only try one VGA and its the furthest DVI from the motherboard that worked. I don't have a second DVI to VGA adapter so it remains untested if VGA&VGA DUAL monitors are workable. Whats also strange if you plug in a DVI monitor it blacks out and disables the VGA. HDMI still untested considering I don't have an HDMI input.

Rotation and Mirror work on DVI-DVI

bench-.jpg

Duno, but it seems to run really well.

@Hangten: So lemme get this straight... your 4850 is 2x DVI but you're using a DVI->VGA dongle because it's the only way you get a display without having a black screen right? I get that part but how is it that in the first screenshot you posted, it shows 2 different displays is the part that bothers me because

1) you said you can only get it working if the dvi->viga dongle is there and you connect the monitor via vga

2) you said that you don't have another dvi->vga dongle and if you plug in the monitor via dvi straight it results in a black screen.

I'm assuming you're using vanilla kexts on 10.6.5 just with your dev id inside of the 4800 kext seeing as how madld0n said that in the new update there's no need to modify the kexts like we had to before.

I use evoenabler.kext + 10.6.2 kexts (ATI4800Controller, ATIFramebuffer, ATISupport) in S/L/E and LegacyATI4800Controller

*This problem of dvi2vga dongle was due to a change in the framebuffer version 10.6.3 +.

At present, no need to use the dongle dvi2vga, just use the 10.6.2 kexts (ATI4800Controller, ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer).

that was the problem that was fixed in 10.6.5

dev id inside of the 4800 kext

legacyati4800controller.kex does the work for us :thumbsup_anim: you need not be editing the kext with each update

my english :)

smokev.gif

@TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

I have Two Samsung BX2440X monitors DVI & DVI fully working on SL10.6.5 with vanilla kexts.

1) I clarify that the card is a dual DVI and both work, and when switching to the VGA adapter I have to use the DVI furthest from the motherboard. Only one DVI port works with the VGA adapter connected to the monitor. The other DVI port results in a blank screen using VGA adapter to monitor.

Oh okay I got you know so you just use the dongle to see if vga would output from the monitor. Now I understand where you're coming from now with the whole little dongle thing now.

@Mald0n: Don't worry man everyone isn't exceptional at English but I still understand you well enough so that's all that matters 8)

I just tried a fresh install of OS X 10.6.3 with thelaughingman's instructions, they didn't work. I didn't get any normal boots out of it, I installed a 10.6.2 combo update I had on my USB drive, and then to 10.6.3 from a dmg I downloaded, I then installed the kexts and patches as per the instructions, and I still get a corrupted screen on normal boot, regardless of whether there's a DVI adapter or not.

I guess I'm going to have to find a copy of 10.6.5

• 1 month later...

You can get the latest 10.6.5 (H562) combo update from the bay of pirates.

I'm going to try that version in a few minutes. Up to now running a HIS HD4850 on 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 has been impossible for me ;) . I was able to make it work with no fuzz using 10.6.0 with kakewalk 2.2... but I want the latest patch!

@MaLd0n Muito obrigado!!! :(

--- EDIT

Sweet!!! It's working in full 64 bits :o. Thanks a lot MaLd0n!!

I created a small guide of how to make this work with an ATI 4850 here, in case someone is curious.